To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Dating Tips

edited July 2006 in General
Hi,
what are the best things to do when dating a girl the first time? And what are the absolute DONT's? I think that when dating a girl you should leave your college life away so DO NOT talk about college.. show some interest in her and try to be original and nice.

I would like to know from you what are further tips useful to be successful in a dating :D thank you!

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Why not talk about college? It's what you do and people are usually interested in that. It's probably best not to talk about too many negatives right at the beginning but that's true no matter what the topic. If college is something you have in common it's a good place ot begin.

Girls want to know how you think and if you have compatible interests. Talk about things that interest you and then ask her opinion. And then listen to what she has to say. I'd stay away from stereotypical guy topics, like sports and cars, unless she indicates a genuine interest.

I wouldn't worry too much about being original. That sounds more like a script or routine than getting to know you conversation. But yes, be nice. And don't comment, look at or otherwise attend to other girls while you're with her.
  • edited July 2006
    thats some really good advice plumley! when you'r with a girl, knowing how to talk and maintain a conversation goes a longggg way. especially if your not good looking, cuz then you have to impress her with your personality and intelligence. seirously though, try to be freindly and make sure have some go to topics in mind in case the conversation dies... and always have a plan of what you're planning to do on the date so that she actually has a good time too.. umm im out of ideas now i wonder what the girls have to say about this
  • edited July 2006
    Be yourself! Dont fake it! If your a jerk be it early so she can get out in time! Nothing is worse then being fooled by a guy. You think he is great and caring and then he turns into cave man! Sorry lol but just be genuine and dont try and put on something your not.
  • edited July 2006
    Yes, be yourself and know yourself. Talking to impress is the BIGGEST turnoff ever! The best way to be casual about it is to hangout in groups at first and let everyone help you on being that real conversationalist.

Then, when you're ready ask that special girl out for coffee and see what happens. But, always keep it real.
  • edited July 2006
    Honestly, the best thing to talk about is something the two of you have in common. Sure, asking the girl to talk about herself is nice but nobody wants to sit and yammer on about themselves all night (well, most people anyhow :P).
    Just ask her if she has any hobbies, what kind of movies she likes, etc. Talking about college is a great source of topics - you can talk about current classes, majors, exactly HOW many papers you're dreading doing and such :D

Have fun, be yourself and don't stress out on it.
  • edited July 2006
    yea basically jus be yourself, its not attractive when u are trying too hard.. u jus seem too fake that way, other donts are: dont be loud and obnoxious and dont act all hardcore even if u think are.. cuz we dont really care
    but of course if ur naturally sweet and charming u got it made:)
  • edited July 2006
    Mike Jones said:
    especially if your not good looking, cuz then you have to impress her with your personality and intelligence. seirously though
    Seriously though, you're not far off. So many good looking people, male and female, try to cruise by on their looks. Personality and intelligence are sooo much more important. And you know something? The nicer and more fun a guy is, the better he looks and the sexier I find him. Funny how that personality thing works. :)
  • edited July 2006
    A big turn on for me has always been honesty. And the one thing I am NEVER looking for is to go out with a guy and have him get hammered and grabby right off the bat.
  • edited July 2006
    Do have fun and laugh
    Do be yourself
    Do talk about common ground
    Do open doors for the lady
    Do pick up the tab

Don't chew with your mouth open
    Don't try to fondle everything on the first date
    Don't talk politics or religion
    Don't talk about other girls
    Don't watch the TV at the restaurant
    Don't tell off colored jokes

Just a few suggestions. The key to a good date is to enjoy yourself and to enjoy the company you are with.
  • edited July 2006
    Dress to impress
    Don't be arrogant
    Be confident (not arrogant)
    Don't talk down
    Smile as much as possible
    Act a little bit nervous most girls like that I've noticed
    Don't assume you're going to have sex

Be nice.
  • edited July 2006
    Plumley said:
    The nicer and more fun a guy is, the better he looks and the sexier I find him. Funny how that personality thing works. :)
    ohh so you'r a girl good to know :)

Leave a Comment