To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

A girl asked me to party this weekend

edited February 2007 in General
It turns out this girl, we'll call her Tiffany, invited me to this party on saturday that her friend Melanie is hosting. Well I'm kind of into this girl, and I want to go but theres a few problems:

1) I've never drank, nor do I really have big intentions to

2) I'm athletic, and if I would get caught, I'd probably get in huge trouble with that. I also have a wrestling meet this weekend, which determines if we go to the tournament in kelowna or not(basically the playoffs).

I guess all I'm asking of you guys is to give me some of your thoughts about pros/cons of drinking in university, and how women can influence it.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    You don't necessarily have to drink to have fun at this party, nor do I think that she'd respect you less, or see you any differently, if you don't drink. I don't think that should be your main concern.

Besides, if she asks, just be real with her, and tell her why you can't drink. If she's the type to think that drinking = cool, then you'll probably have a few more things to learn about her.
  • edited February 2007
    How old are you man? I'm sure you are old enough to know that whatever you want to do is what you should do. Just don't drink and when people offer you just say no thanks and pretend like nothing is different and don't say anything until somebody actually asks you, and plus they won't even notice the first time you party with them. But once you get to know her you'll tell her or she will find out and then she will know you better so she won't have any problem with it. Just basically, be yourself, don't change anything and you'll be good.
  • edited February 2007
    just tell her straight up that you have big plans this weekend that doesn't include drinking ie. wrestling and tell her you'll make it up next weekend, maybe movie and dinner?
  • edited February 2007
    I don't think that not drinking is anything that you have to "make up" to anyone! You certainly don't owe this girl anything by choosing not to drink.

I drank a lot in late highschool, but I haven't touched the stuff in years. I still have a lot of fun at parties and hanging out with friends, even if everyone else is drinking but me. What you put in your body is your business, especially if you are making a choice that will help you to be a better athlete, and you don't owe any further explaination apart from "nope, I don't drink".

Like ShadySimon said, you are old enough to make decisions for yourself. Plus if this girl gets all weird by you not drinking, then she's probably not as great as you think anyway.
  • edited February 2007
    If it's true you've never drank before, than at a big party with a lot of people and a girl you like is probably not ideal conditions for your first time.
  • edited February 2007
    So what happened Law Student?
  • edited February 2007
    Methinks he's passed out on a bear rug somewhere in the Kootneys. So much for not drinking. We're all very dissapointed in you.
  • edited February 2007
    I didn't go :( She's probably never gonna talk to me again
  • edited February 2007
    dont b so down on urself, u didnt do anything wrong

just strike up a convo with the girl, and tell her somethin like i'll treat u to coffee for missin the party the other day

ur overthinkin if u say she's not gonna talk to ya again
  • edited February 2007
    wise choice for not going.. take heed that there are other opportunities to get in touch with her.. =) personally i think alcohol isn't the best way to impress anyone.. there's always the chance of it backfiring..

Leave a Comment