To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Snow

edited January 2007 in General
Snowing in Richmond at 4:50am

Comments

• edited January 2007
    ya right thats crazy.. kinda hope it doesnt snow again til next year
  • edited January 2007
    great....
  • edited January 2007
    I wasn't impressed to wake up to snow this morning!! Hopefully it'll be gone soon.
  • edited January 2007
    I was suppose to go to school today to pick up some books..
  • edited January 2007
    i drove a friend of mine today to sfu for his orentation and man was i plowing snow so not cool but i geuss thats what i get for slamming my car to the ground luckly i didnt get stuck, yay for being able to drive:teeth:
  • edited January 2007
    Ugly weather today thats for sure... I was late half an hour for work because of the mess on the highway.
  • edited January 2007
    like wtf.....
  • edited January 2007
    I'm not gonna even bother going.. not worth it.
  • edited January 2007
    NOoo! I didn't agree to this.... stupid snow.

People in Ontario are complaining about global warming because they're having a really mild winter. Yet BC is getting it's ass kicked by the weather the past 3 months...

I can't believe the school is actually open. How does it look from up on the mountain? Did anyone make it in this morning?
  • edited January 2007
    Malakaiii said:
    NOoo! I didn't agree to this.... stupid snow.

People in Ontario are complaining about global warming because they're having a really mild winter. Yet BC is getting it's ass kicked by the weather the past 3 months...

I can't believe the school is actually open. How does it look from up on the mountain? Did anyone make it in this morning?
    lol after 2.5 hours of travel time i made it!!! and was only 45 mins late for my first class:omg:
  • edited January 2007
    9:52 AM, and it's pretty darn snowy still. :) Looks like about a foot of snow in the undisturbed areas.
  • edited January 2007
    I hate snow. Good thing I don't have school today. Hopefully it will go away by Friday cuz I don't wanna freeze my ass off at Black Ice (if I can get up the mountain at all).
  • edited January 2007
    I live on campus.
  • edited January 2007
    Waking up at 11:20 am and looking outside to see white snow is nice. Good thing I don't have school, I would hate to be driving in it.
  • edited January 2007
    bah had 830am class this mornin, they took like half an hour to get the 145 up to sfu :S
  • edited January 2007
    ^That's funny LOL. I had a 10:30 class today and I left early but getting up here was fine. Not looking forward to leaving school this afternoon.
  • edited January 2007
    I love snow, the cold kills all the bugs, and purifies the air. It's better than raining.
  • edited January 2007
    Jeez what a weird day to be commuting!

I got up to school in the same amount of time as usual. It wasn't even very crowded on the buses!

BUT... heading home was a different story. I waited at the bottom stop for the 145 for 25 minutes before one drove by (full). Then I waited for 10 more minutes before jumping on a bus going to the Cornerstone stop and I grabbed the 144 to Sperling Station. By the time I got off campus I'd been waiting for over an hour. :(

Good luck to anyone still stuck up there!
  • edited January 2007
    yea dont bother waiting for 145's at the other stops, just walk to first stop and wait there
  • edited January 2007
    it took me 2 hours to drive to coquitlam centre from maple ridge and another hour to get up on the 143 (I completely missed my 8:30 class)....fortunately it only took me 2 hours to get home

anyone know if school's canceled tomorrow??? right now on mysfu is says classes are cancelled, the buses aren't running and the school is closed, but I'm guessing we have to check tomorrow morning too just in case, although if all this snow freezes to ice, it might not be worth it
  • edited January 2007
    I'm glad you got home safe! It's dangerous to be driving right now... Even if you are a good driver, there are enough spastic snow-shocked drivers out there to crash into you!

And yeah, I see that on My.SFU...
    The University is: Closed
    University Roads: SNOW(beware of possible ice)
    Adjacent Roads: Use caution
    Classes are: CANCELLED (All Classes)
    The Library is: CLOSED
    The Daycare is: CLOSED
    Translink Buses are: NOT RUNNING
    Updated: Jan 10, 2007 at 6:16 PM

I've got my fingers crossed that they remain canceled!

If classes are canceled and anyone wants to come play Nintendo Wii Sports with me, shoot me a message. :teeth:
  • edited January 2007
    thanks, yeah it was pretty hectic..I think I went less than 40km/hr the entire way home
  • edited January 2007
    I hope it's closed tomorrow. Not because I want to miss class (well maybe LoL) but because it'll be too dangerous. Freezing temperatures tonight means everything will turn into ice.
  • edited January 2007
    If Burnaby campus is closed tomorrow, does it mean Surrey is too?
    Or are they different?
  • edited January 2007
    Ugh, it sucked. I stayed on campus to get a panini, and then ended up stuck driving back. It took something like an hour to get back home, and I'm normally only a 20 minute bus ride away! Thank the fates I chose to drive my dad's car up to campus today. The busses were hopeless. Absolutely hopeless. I saw the 135 jacknifed on the turnoff from Gaglardi to the parkway to Hastings.
  • edited January 2007
    From News1130.com,

"Many students at the Burnaby Campus of SFU are trapped on top of the mountain, buses can't get up or down the hill so they have to wait for plows and sanding trucks. As for school Thursday morning, most schools will be contacting us early in the morning with that information."
    (Source)

Ah! those poor students! I hope they'll be getting down soon!

i dont think the burnaby campus conditions refer to the surrey campus one. i recall somebody who was taking classes at the surrey campus that they had school last semester when we had that one snow day...
  • edited January 2007
    that would suck if they had to sleep over on campus
  • edited January 2007
    No kidding! I'd be pissed off if I was stuck up there...
  • edited January 2007
    Tinana said:
    If Burnaby campus is closed tomorrow, does it mean Surrey is too?
    Or are they different?
    Its different.
  • edited January 2007
    http://www.sfu.ca/security/sfuroadconditions/

good luck.what sucks is waking up like at 6 to figure out whether or not you need to go.

Leave a Comment