To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Your best anti-procrastination techniques

edited January 2015 in General
I, along with many other students, struggle with procrastination, focusing on the task at hand and good time management. I am taking steps to try and mitigate these things, including attending the upcoming workshops in the student learning commons.

Anyone have any personal techniques to share?

I am fond of the pomodoro technique 

Comments

• Sending my laptop for 1 month of repair on finals month.

Was my best semester gpa wise...
  • ^That happened to me once too, and it made studying a little bit more difficult as I lost all my notes, but I pulled through. And it gave me a break from the non-studious things of computer usage for sure.

@gkam When is the procrastination SLC workshop? I'm interested.
  • Here's a list of all the upcoming SLC workshops http://workshops.lib.sfu.ca/workshops/upcoming
    unfortunately it looks like the next procrastination workshop is on Tuesday at the Vancouver campus
  • I like bribing myself: I promise myself I only need to do the unpleasant task for X amount of time and then I can do something more fun. Breaking a task/assignment into bits seems to make it less daunting.
  • Get naked. Don't let yourself put any clothes back on until your studying is done. Works every time.
  • I always give in to the self-gratification monkey :'(
  • edited January 2015
    @Maria We need to group study. ASAP

@MXC Thanks MXC.
  • @MXC Sorry for the double-post. But what is the exact date for that? I can't seem to find it on the list.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm no good at this either, but here are some tips that help me a little:

1. Don't study at home

You may not think it makes a difference but leaving the house may give you a sense of "get down to business".

2. Set a study deadline of x hours

Instead of just sitting there to "study the whole day", set a deadline. No matter what, you are out of there in 2-4 hours. This might help you concentrate a bit more knowing that you don't have ample time to browse.

• ^This dude goes to law school. Listen to him.
  • MXC
    edited January 2015
    @TalkUBC
    lol sorry that Tuesday was the 20th, over already

And yes, I totally agree with the don't study at home, I can't get anything done at home
  • I'm fine with studying at home. I find that I waste alot of time finding places to study that aren't full or whatever.
    Here's what I do... You won't get anywhere if you sit there and expect to study all day. Be realistic.
    Like going to the gym, have a plan.

In one hour, you have a set. A set consists of:
    50 minutes studying
    10 minutes rest (do whatever you want in this time)

Repeat this process. I do about 6-8 sets of these a day. That guarentees 5-7 hours of studying time you can track. It helps if you have a stopwatch online. Give yourself some reward too. Like if you finish 50 mins without any distractions, you get to watch 10 minutes of this youtube video or show. Make yourself something nice to eat.

Leave a Comment