To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Academic probation

I am currently a first year second semester student at SFU. Both my CGPA and GPA will be bellow 2.00. I understand that I will be put on academic probation. I have read that in order to get of the academic probation in my next completed term I have to get above a 2.00 GPA or CGPA. I was wondering if I am allowed to take a semester break while on academic probation or if I have to enroll in the summer term in order to fix my academic standing. Thank you in advance. 

Comments

• I think you can take a semester off but this is something you should discuss with an academic advisor. I think if you can taking a semester off will help you reevaluate what went wrong but that will not get rid of the situation. I believe that you would have to get at least your Term GPA above 2.0 to not get kicked out because then they will keep you on academic probation until you get your CGPA up. I have never been on academic probation but I know people who have. It is more common than you think in your first year but just remember to learn from your mistakes and move forward.
  • You don't have to enrol in the summer term. Once you return to studies you will be remaining on AP.

• You do not have to take the summer semester. You can take as long of a break as you want and resume on academic probation once you decide to go back. Please note if you do not take classes for 3 or more semester in a row, you will be considered as 'inactive' and will not receive an enrolment date unless you email/call the university and tell them you would like to resume your study.

Additionally, you can resume on AP for an indefinite amount of time until both your GPA and CGPA are above 2.0 or 2.4 for some classes, provided your class GPA is above your CGPA. You will get kick out only if your grade point is declining even more for a prolonged period of time (3 semesters?).

Leave a Comment