To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Sfu grading scale

Hey, just wondering what the grading scale is at SFU. I got 86% in Math 100 and canvas says it's an A-. I thought 86% would be an A.

Comments

• 40 views so far and no comments. This forum sure is helpful.
  • It depends on the department. For example, the Criminology scale is different than some Psychology courses. Check canvas or the syllabus to see if the Prof included it.

By the way, this forum is very particular with the types of responses that we can provide. We're students, alumni, or something else linked to SFU-- we don't have all the answers. Another source that might help is the SFU Subreddit, it's active and you have an assortment of regulars who are happy to try to help.  
  • The default scale is

A- is 85 <=  x < 89
    A is  90 <=  x < 95
    A is  95 <=  x

This does vary based on the course though.

• dont we have some bellshape grading stuff? your grading SOMETIMES depends on your classmates, not a scale of percentage
  • @redneckinsfu Only in some faculties, departments and/or courses, e.g., business, engineering and health sciences I believe, or at least are the ones that I recall.
  • This information was provided for a CMPT class

Generally, teachers set ranges that correspond to letter grades. However,
    there are no standard letter grade ranges at SFU: ranges differ from teacher
    to teacher and course to course.

Here’s one sample set of ranges (which is not necessarily the range used in
    your course!!):

95% ≤ A+

90% ≤ A < 95%

85% ≤ A- < 90%

80% ≤ B+ < 85%

75% ≤ B < 80%

70% ≤ B- < 75%

65% ≤ C+ < 70%

60% ≤ C < 65%

55% ≤ C- < 60%

50% ≤ D < 55%

F < 50%

So if your final numeric score is 85.5%, then your final letter grade would be
    an A- using these ranges. Again, this is only example of letter grade ranges,
    and may not be the ones actually used by your course.

How are grades curved?

First, lets make sure we agree on what “curved” means. Grading on a curve
    traditionally means that a pre-set number of letter grades are chosen before
    the course. For instance, before the start of a course graded on a curve the
    teacher might decide that there will be 3 A+s, 5 As, 10 A-s, 15 B+s, 10 B-s,
    etc. The good thing about this approach is that the three people with the
    highest grade in the course — no matter their exact percentage score — will
    get an A+. However, the 4th person will only get an A, even if they are within
    0.0001 of the third person.

Leave a Comment