To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

When do you buy textbooks?

edited August 2013 in General
I'm just wondering when I should buy my textbooks? Some people are telling me to wait until classes start and the prof will tell us what books to get, is this correct? I don't want to show up to class and be the only one without a textbook!

Comments

• I usually buy my textbooks early, but that is only because I like textbooks. You will not need the textbook on the first day of class, so don't worry about that. In fact I have only ever had to bring textbooks to class for a few courses. Many classes don't even end up using the book at all.

So if you want to buy the book early go ahead. You can sometimes benefit in this case because you can save money by ordering them online and have time for them to be delivered. Otherwise though just wait until the first week and go with the flow from there.
  • If you buy them new, buy them now from Amazon.ca and they'll get here in time.  Most textbook's are $10-20 cheaper than the bookstore and you get free shipping.  

• If you check amazon.ca, I would also check amazon.com. Sometimes even with expensive shipping the price comes out less than amazon.ca.
  • "but that is only because I like textbooks." lol ^_^
  • I first try to find them online. I usually end up getting at least one textbook.

Then I look for used ones of the remaining books on Craigslist or the Facebook groups and ask to meet when class starts. If I find out that I don't really need the book I won't buy it. I'll continue checking once in a while to see if anyone else is selling the book cheaper. There's always a few people that sell the book significantly less than everyone else.

Then when the semester is over I sell the books for more than I paid. Unless they require a newer one and the old one isn't acceptable.
  • I always check books2go.ca or locazu.com for former students who sell them. You can get them for significantly cheaper than the bookstore, if you can stand the textbooks being used obviously.
  • To find out what the textbooks will be for your classes ahead of time you can check the SFU Bookstore:

http://tinyurl.com/m7uy5cr

The bookstore doesn't always have many copies, so if they're not available at other venues you might want to buy early. 

• earlier the better. the used copies are cheaper and they usually run out quick
  • Rule #1 of textbooks: DO NOT BUY FROM SFU BOOKSTORE.

This applies to every college/university on the face of this planet. 

I mean those guys even like to profit off of access codes hahaha how are you gonna capitalize off of something like that? It's disgraceful and price gouging. 

Leave a Comment