To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Ling110!! Help i dont understand how to do anything!!!

edited June 2010 in General
okay hey guys....i'm reviewing for my md and i dont know how to the following items:

1.is the word old or new?which are old and which are new) and why??? how do i find it out!!
disfavor different succinct subconscious

2.cons.assmilation, deletion?how can i tell if the word is an assimilation or a deletion?? please explain (consonant assimilation or consonant deletion?)

ex.)
1) summon
2) impulse
3) ignorant

3.latin,greek,english....where is the word frommm??please explain (without the usage of an dictionary) how can i tell if the word is latin, english, greek?
example blossom,irrelevant,emblem, compress

4.latin roots example:how can i find out what the root in latin, is w/o using a dictinary?
example tendency...the root from latin is tend? how would i know that w/o a dictionary??

and of course how can i find these without a dictionary.

please help cause im lost and the majority of the md is about this stuff!!!

*******the bold stuff is what i need to know how to do, the rest are extra info :) please asap!!!! I'M REALLY DESPERATE FOR HELP!! SO PLEASE ANY HELP IS REQUIRED!!

**NO THIS ISNT MY ASSIGNMENT...THESE ARE THE EXAMPLES THE PROF SHOWED IN CLASS..WHICH I DIDNT QUITE GET :( ***********

Comments

• edited June 2010
    For #4: you are supposed to memorize Latin roots - I believe they are at the back of the textbook.

Btw, who is your prof?
  • edited June 2010
    prant lourie..i dont have the text :( is there an online latin roots i can look at?
  • edited June 2010
    There's your problem, you need the text. Or if your prof was nice, maybe he got some copies put in the reserves at the library, so maybe check that out.
  • edited June 2010
    Older English words (of Germanic origin) tend to be shorter and monosyllabic, if that helps. (as an example, 'king' is from the same ancestor-word as the German 'koenig').

Another thing to keep in mind: while the basic structure of English is largely Germanic there have been two major 'waves' of Latinization of the vocabulary. The first, IIRC, was indirectly via French influences on English. The second was a semi-purposeful 'enhancement' of the vocabulary involving scientific and technical concepts in the 18th century.

The consequence, in both cases, was to create longer multisyllable words (for example, consider 'expectorate' for 'spit' - they mean essentially the same thing, but 'spit' is Germanic in origin and 'expectorate' is Greek or Latinate. 'ex' meaning out, and 'pector' probably is from a root having to do with the mouth)

Leave a Comment