To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Lets Election

edited March 2010 in General
Question 1: Fee for Sustainable SFU

Are you in favour of a new fee of $2 per full time student per semester and $1 per part time student per semester to be levied for the benefit of sustainability-related initiatives on campus through Sustainable SFU? (Sustainable SFU past projects include a Sustainability Festival, the SFU Local Food project, and the Sustainable Advisory Committee.) (Yes / No)

Question 2: Exception to Terms of Space Expansion Fund

Whereas the SFSS has a mandate to provide services and support for its members;
Whereas the new SFU Woodward’s campus has no student controlled space;
Whereas the SFSS has an opportunity to acquire student space in W2 at Woodward’s;
Whereas the SFSS space expansion fund is limited to use for SFU-owned property;
Do you support an exception to the terms of the Space Expansion Fund to allow the acquisition and maintenance of Student Society space in the W2 Community Media Arts Society space at the Woodwards development in Vancouver? (Yes / No)

By-Law Change 1: Polling Hours

Whereas By-Law 14.18(b) states that “Polling for all positions shall occur between the hours of 9:30am and 7:30pm”, the introduction of online voting makes it unnecessary to impose such time limits. It is likely that an increased number of voting hours will lead to a higher voter turnout since students can vote on their own time at any place with internet access.
Do you agree to amend by-law 14.18(b) to read “Polling for all positions shall occur at least between the hours of 9:30am and 7:30pm”? (Yes / No)

By-Law Change 2: Ombuds office

Whereas this bylaw is now redundant because the SFSS jointly funds the university Ombuds office with the GSS and SFU;
Do you support the removal of By-Law 19 "Ombuds Office”? (Yes / No)

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Treasurer: Anna Belkine
    ERO: Kyle Acierno
    URO: Arry Dhillon
    IRO: Panther Kuol

And the referendum should be mentioned:

Question 1: Fee for Sustainable SFU

Are you in favour of a new fee of $2 per full time student per semester and $1 per part time student per semester to be levied for the benefit of sustainability-related initiatives on campus through Sustainable SFU? (Sustainable SFU past projects include a Sustainability Festival, the SFU Local Food project, and the Sustainable Advisory Committee.) (Yes / No)

Question 2: Exception to Terms of Space Expansion Fund

Whereas the SFSS has a mandate to provide services and support for its members;
    Whereas the new SFU Woodward’s campus has no student controlled space;
    Whereas the SFSS has an opportunity to acquire student space in W2 at Woodward’s;
    Whereas the SFSS space expansion fund is limited to use for SFU-owned property;
    Do you support an exception to the terms of the Space Expansion Fund to allow the acquisition and maintenance of Student Society space in the W2 Community Media Arts Society space at the Woodwards development in Vancouver? (Yes / No)

By-Law Change 1: Polling Hours

Whereas By-Law 14.18(b) states that “Polling for all positions shall occur between the hours of 9:30am and 7:30pm”, the introduction of online voting makes it unnecessary to impose such time limits. It is likely that an increased number of voting hours will lead to a higher voter turnout since students can vote on their own time at any place with internet access.
    Do you agree to amend by-law 14.18(b) to read “Polling for all positions shall occur at least between the hours of 9:30am and 7:30pm”? (Yes / No)

By-Law Change 2: Ombuds office

Whereas this bylaw is now redundant because the SFSS jointly funds the university Ombuds office with the GSS and SFU;
    Do you support the removal of By-Law 19 "Ombuds Office”? (Yes / No)
  • edited March 2010
    Question 1: I'm going to vote yes most likely

Question 2: Yes

Bylaw 1: Yes

Bylaw 2: I don't know what Bylaw 19 even is, so until I find out more information I'll remain undecided.
  • edited March 2010
    Look in this week's Peak for a point-counterpoint about Question 1. A Sustainable SFU board member makes the case for Yes, while treasurer candidate Anna Belkine makes the case for No.
  • edited March 2010
    I'll definitely check that out. I'm all for sustainability, but I don't know all that much about the specifics of how my 2 dollars a term will go to use.
  • IVTIVT
    edited March 2010
    student apathy for the win!
  • edited March 2010
    Treasurer: Dave Hughes - This is a tough choice because I agree with everything in Anna Belkine's platform, and the Peak's interview. However, having worked with Dave over the last few years, and seeing the kind of hard work he puts into DSUs and school committees, I had to vote for him.

ERO: Sam Reynolds - for making a better case in the Peak interview.

URO: Arry Dhillon - for not being a crazy Linux advocate like the other guy. Don't get me wrong, I like Linux too, but a computer operating system really shouldn't be your student politics platform.

IRO: Panther Kuol - for not being Andrew Fergusson.

Edit: oh, and NO on Sustainable SFU - they don't even know what they want to spend the money on.
  • edited March 2010
    I can't vote for the SFSS folks as I'm a grad student, but the referendum, IMO is pretty much a yes across the board.
  • edited March 2010
    I also voted no on Sustainable SFU. They seem to hold a lot of events promoting sustainability, but don't do much about it themselves. And, I could reiterate what Anna Belkine said in her counter-point in the Peak this week, but I'm way too lazy.

And I wouldn't vote for Reynolds for two main reasons. One, he talks about how he'll lobby and not use publicity stunts, when we all know that's bullshit. The guy is all about causing a scene and drawing attention to himself, regardless of whether it's positive or negative attention. Secondly, he seems incredibly self-centered and pushes the fact that he is a conservative on everyone. Everything he does is all about him and what he supports. How can I be sure he won't just carry out his own agenda and not act in the best interests of the students?
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm. I can see where you're coming from, but I stand by my choice.

On lobbying vs publicity stunts: I'm fed up with the "More Buses Now" style publicity campaigns for more buses. They've been going on for years in one form or another. We've had pamphlets, stickers, posters, giant advertisements asking for better transit, etc. But why rally the students? We're not the ones who need to be informed. Chances are, if the bus service sucks, we already know about it. It's not as if we can do anything about it either. Translink is already strapped for cash - they asked the gov't for money last year (and were denied). No amount of student whining is going to change that.
    Instead, a better solution is to convince the government to increase Translink's funding so that they can provide better service.

Still, I based my decision mostly on the fact that Acierno's platform was vague and fluffy, whereas Reynolds' was more concrete.
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm. I can see where you're coming from, but I stand by my choice.

On lobbying vs publicity stunts: I'm fed up with the "More Buses Now" style publicity campaigns for more buses. They've been going on for years in one form or another. We've had pamphlets, stickers, posters, giant advertisements asking for better transit, etc. But why rally the students? We're not the ones who need to be informed. Chances are, if the bus service sucks, we already know about it. It's not as if we can change the situation. Translink is already strapped for cash - they asked the gov't for money last year (and were denied). No amount of student whining is going to change that.
    Instead, a better solution is to convince the government to increase Translink's funding so that they can provide better service.

Regardless, I based my decision mostly on the fact that Acierno's platform was vague and fluffy, whereas Reynolds' was more concrete.

Leave a Comment