To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Doing your taxes as a student in BC

edited June 2010 in General
I usually do my taxes at H&R Block because they have a great student package, but since I'm officially in the real world I may have to look at other options. Here's a link if anyone needs any more info about what you can claim, how much you can get back, etc. As a full time student you are eligible to receive back almost all of the taxes you paid in the previous year.

The main reason I like H&R Block is because they give you the refund money right away, as opposed to having to wait for a cheque from the government. Also, since they are a big company the people doing your taxes are fully trained...the $30 cost is worth it for the peace of mind that it was done correctly.

http://www.hrblock.ca/services/student_tax.asp

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I usually do it by myself though. But it's good info. Thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    I file my taxes on dead trees using TaxMan. There's supposedly a free UFile tax program somewhere out there that will consume less dead trees, but I can't be arsed since the TaxMan program has been so darn useful and very straightforward.
  • edited March 2010
    Got this from the mass biz emails.
    IT’S TAXES TIME!!

Stressing out about filing your tax return and wishing that someone else would just do it for you? If so, sign up for our FREE tax return service and a volunteer trained by the CRA will file your tax return for you!

Who is eligible?

*Any SFU students/faculty
    * Single person with annual income of $25,000 or less
    * Married couple with combined income of $30,000 or less
    * Married couple with dependants with combined income of $30,000 or less (plus $2,000 for each dependant)
    * Individual with less than $1000 interest income

Who is not eligible?

*Those with rental Income
    *Those who are self-employed (owns own business)
    *Those who have deceased returns
    *Those who have non-resident returns
    *Those who have returns claiming capital gains or losses
    *Those with major investments/RRSP/stocks/mutual funds/RESP
    *Those who filed for bankruptcy

If you are eligible, please register HERE before 6:00PM, Friday, March 5, 2010.

You will be paired up with one of our qualified volunteers. Please expect a call from your volunteer the week of March 8 – March 12. Your volunteer will then schedule an appointment with you between March 15 – April 16 to file your return. The place where you will have your tax returns filed will be determined with your volunteer (usually WMX2301 / 2305).
    Free is good. I signed up already.
  • edited June 2010
    Way past the deadline but quicktax and ufile both have free online services for students.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah. I ended up using the UFile one and it was surprisingly easy. And I even got my refund in two weeks! Sweet. :D

Leave a Comment