To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

June 2010 LSAT- Anyone

edited January 2010 in General
Hey guys,

Just wanted to put a feeler out there to see if any other students are planning to sit the June 2010 writing of the LSAT. At this point, in addition to a self-study schedule, I'm seriously looking into a number of prep courses.
I've been doing a good amount of personal research, however, I'm curious to see if anyone else has done their own, or has perhaps already taken a prep course and can provide first hand information. For reference, the two that have stood out to me, based on reviews and fitment with my own schedule, have been Powerscore and Oxford Seminars. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone wants to connect and form a small study group, I'd be more than willing to help get something going.

Lastly, if anyone else is looking to apply to law school in the near future, feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them. That way you might be spared the hours of pouring over websites and admissions brochures that I've spent :p

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I'm graduating this summer and I'm looking to do the LSAT probably sometime this summer or fall and have it in by the Feb 2011 deadline.

I honestly haven't looked too much into it but how do you know when the LSAT writings will take place and where?

I think Oxford Seminars stand out the most, I've had a few friends take it who say it was extremely helpful. Some others say you don't really need those seminars, just take a look at an LSAT study book and look at the types of questions months in advance.

I'm planning to go to UBC since I wanna stay close to home, is that where you're planning to go too? I've taken a quick look at their website but do you have any other ones that can clarify these little details a bit more?
  • edited January 2010
    I can't remember where, but the next writings are 7th of June, and 12th of October if I'm not mistaken. I believe there is also a writing in December. If you want to apply for Fall 2011 to UBC, you'll have to write it no later than Feb 2011. Some schools, particularly Ontario ones, have a November 1st application deadline, so be aware that they aren't all consistent.

Yeah, UBC is my #1 choice as well...I've heard good things from friends in it/who have graduated. Second choice is UVic, just because it's not in Vancouver. However it's an excellent school too. I'm really open to go anywhere except for the praries and Maritimes, but would prefer to stay in Vancouver as I lived in Ontario and really don't want to go back. I'll apply to Osgoode, U Ottawa and surrounding schools as well, though, just because I don't want to put all my eggs in 1 or two baskets, and those schools have some great programs.

As far as other websites go, one I've found useful is this http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/LSAT/lsat_profiles.php

^ It's a nice summary of all the schools along with general info regarding programs, application process and admissions standards. I suspect that their statistics aren't quite up to date, but it gives a good overview.
  • edited January 2010
    http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/LSAT/lsat_information.php

That's the links for the writing times.

Yeah if all goes well I plan to have it done before Feb 1st and then enrolled by the Fall later in 2011.

I'll probably end up writing it in October and December just in case my LSAT score isn't high enough but we'll see how that all goes.

How do you go about applying to write the LSAT? Do you have to do it months in advance or can you do it last minute? I saw a list of fees but I'm curious as to which ones are sort of mandatory...i.e., what's the typical amount one would pay for a single sitting?

Not sure where it says on the website but how much do the oxford seminars typically cost?
  • edited January 2010
    I haven't actually registered yet myself, so I'm not 100% of the fees of time deadlines. However, you can register on the law school admissions council website (lsac.org).

I think the Oxford seminars are significantly cheaper. They offer 30hr and 48hr courses (# hours of class time). I believe the 48hr is somewhere in the $800s.

Leave a Comment