To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

question about grade challenge

edited December 2009 in General
My prof agreed to change my grade in his email. However, he is not here in Vancouver, and asked me to look into detailed procedure needed for next step. I looked through university policy, but there are no clear steps for grade challenge.

Did anyone know what's the next step my prof should do to change my grade in the student information system? Should he sign some form or should he make a request upwards?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    2.5 When Reconsideration of a Grade is Requested

2.5.1 At each step in the process of responding to a student request to reconsider or appeal a grade decision, the Instructor, Department Chair, Dean and Chair of Senate shall respond in a timely manner, normally within 10 days of receiving the request.

2.5.2 When a Student has requested a grade be reconsidered, it is the Student's responsibility to provide to the Chair all the relevant work returned by the Instructor, and it is the Instructor’s responsibility to provide to the Chair all relevant work which has been retained.

2.5.3 A Student who is concerned that his/her request for reconsideration has been inappropriately addressed at the departmental level may convey his/her concern to the Dean. The Dean will review the events and:

a) where he/she is satisfied that no new evidence has been presented and that judicious and proper procedures have been followed throughout, will confirm the grade awarded at the departmental level;

b) where significant evidence appears not to have been appropriately considered at the departmental level, the Dean may refer the reconsideration back to the Chair with instructions;

c) where, in his/her judgment, the matter cannot be resolved at the departmental level, the Dean may initiate reconsideration by alternative means.

2.5.4 The Chair shall first seek to resolve the concern through consultation with the Student and the Instructor. If the matter cannot be resolved during this consultation, the Chair will arrange for an appropriately qualified person (or persons) to reevaluate the work and establish a grade, or to take such other steps as are necessary. Should the student request anonymity in such a re-evaluation, reasonable steps shall be taken to ensure it.

2.5.5 The decision of the Dean shall be final, subject only to an appeal to Senate. Such appeal may go forward only with the permission of the Chair of Senate on clear evidence satisfactory to her/him that there have been improper procedures in reconsideration as undertaken. The Chair of Senate periodically will report to Senate on the disposition and nature of such requests to appeal to Senate which have not gone forward to that body.
    http://www.sfu.ca/policies/teaching/t20-01.htm

I think this is what you're looking for.
  • edited December 2009
    Good luck! :)
  • edited December 2009
    yup, I saw that policy. My problem is now my prof agree to change it, but he doesn't know how to change it, and he asked me to look into it. Does he need to sign some forms?
  • edited December 2009
    I'd go ask the Student Registar in Maggie Benson. They seem like the central for anything school related
  • edited December 2009
    Also, check with your Faculty Dean's Office.
  • edited December 2009
    thanks

Leave a Comment