To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Would dropping a course this late automatically get me a Fail?

edited November 2009 in General
I was wondering...if I dropped a course that I was doing poorly in, would it nullify the course as if I had never taken it or would I just automatically fail it?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    if you have a good reason like medical or psychological with some sort of evidence to prove it you can fill out an application to withdraw from the class under extenuating circumstances. if you're merely trying to withdraw from the class cause you suck then it'll say just withdrawn on it.
  • edited November 2009
    So...basically, without a good reason, it'd just kill my overall GPA if I withdrew?
  • edited November 2009
    Correct.
  • edited November 2009
    Well...that's depressing to hear...so...anyone got any suggestions on what a guy that's gonna get expelled from SFU should do?
  • edited November 2009
    start looking into kwantlen, langara or douglas.

if you're asian, prepare yourself for the beating of a life time.
  • edited November 2009
    Or the Andy Shen Success Program for People Who Clearly Don't Belong in University.

Or ASSPPWCDBU For short.
  • edited November 2009
    oh yeah. totally forgot about that one.

you can join the andy shen success program and pay 500 bux extra to stay in school.
  • edited November 2009
    Such teasers...I don't think it is appropriate to mock on someone's weakness...

The guy is asking for clarification and you guys are giving him such rude examples of Andy Shen, as outlined above, claims that he doesn't belong in university.

Sad Kid, welcome to the world of internet...
  • edited November 2009
    university is a privilege not a right. if he can't hack it in university then he shouldn't be here.
  • edited November 2009
    hikin;61870 said:
    university is a privilege not a right. if he can't hack it in university then he shouldn't be here.
    Whoa, whoa there.

Technically if she/he pays, he/she has the right to be here.
  • edited November 2009
    so... money solves the issue? hmm....

and when it's this late in the semester there's not much you can do besides doing well in whatever assignments you have left and study your butt off for the finals and hope you pass... or if that doesn't cut it.. you can go talk to your prof.. appeal to his/her sense of sympathy and see if he/she will let you pass... and maybe throw in a lap dance? :tongue:
  • edited November 2009
    lazyGUY;61875 said:
    Whoa, whoa there.

Technically if she/he pays, he/she has the right to be here.
    you pay for your education, not the right to be there or stay there. he/she has the right to have a chance at an education because they paid but if their grades don't make the cut then thats too bad.

if you don't have the grades or the intellectual capabilities to stay then you obviously shouldn't be there no matter how much money you have.

like i said before, its not a right to go to university, nor does throwing money at the university make it your right to stay. unless you're a legacy at a ivy league school that 3 generations of your forefathers attended. at which point your dad would throw money at them to build a new wing of the school so you can stay and graduate. your measly monetary contribution through tuition doesn't mean you should get to stay even if you're a failing student.

you enter university through a contract, that contract saying that upon acceptance you will pay a certain amount of money per credit per course. you also have to maintain a certain GPA average in order to stay.

like i said in my previous post regarding advice, start looking into a college to do your credits in so that once you have enough credits/gpa to get back into university then you can go ahead and transfer back.

and it was just a general piece of advice. i don't know why he/she has a low gpa. maybe chose bad courses or didn't understand the material. maybe slacked off or went out partying rather than working on the shit they shoulda been doing to keep their gpa up. whatever the reason may be, they're in the predicament of getting kicked the fuck out.

spectrefire provided a reasonable way to stay in university, which is to join the student success program. beyond that, my advice is the next step.
  • edited November 2009
    What year and major are you in?

I can understand if you're a 3rd or 4th year Science student. But if you're an Arts student and you still fail... well, I don't know what to say. Writing a couple essays shouldn't be hard, for the most part you can BS most of it and still get a C+ on a paper. There aren't any theories, mechanics, or other types of technical concepts that you need to memorize and understand.
  • edited November 2009
    3rd year and 4th year arts classes are not a cake walk if thats what you're assuming. and yeah, there are alot of things you have to memorize, maybe things that arent of a technical nature but there are theories and concepts that you still have to learn.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm a second year Arts student but the course I'm failing is a Computing Science course. I took it because I was interested in seeing how it worked and now, I regret it. I made some stupid moves and screwed myself over and was planning on going back on the right path next semester but...sadly, I won't even make it to that next semester.

The reason I'm doing poorly isn't because of partying or any of that, it's merely because I'm a pathetic sad excuse for a human being that just fails at life. I honestly had no idea how I failed a first year English course last year, everything I did landed me a fail. This TA I had gave everything I did a fail with like no reason for it. When I tried to ask him about it, all he said was that I needed to work "better".
  • edited November 2009
    look into the student success program.

alternatively, you could try to get a note from a psychiatrist/psychologist saying you were mentally unstable during the semester and that it did not reflect the true nature of your work. that way you can apply for withdrawl on extenuating circumstances and save yourself.

btw, how badly are you failing whatever the courses your taking this semester? is it possible to redeem yourself through the stuff due at the end of the sem?
  • edited November 2009
    From what I can tell, I'm at a 40%, I suppose it is technically possible to save myself but the problem is I don't understand a majority of the material. I guess my only option left is to just study hard and hope all goes well...

And...about the psychiatrist/psychologist part...is that really even possible (I mean, finding one who will actually do that when you're technically not unstable)?
  • edited November 2009
    the psychiatrist/psychologist suggestion was a joke.

what classes are you taking so we know what material you arent understanding.
  • edited November 2009
    Oh...a joke, thought you were serious there. The course I'm having problems with is Computing Science 120. Yes...I know, people are gonna say it's a really easy course and such but I generally just have problems with stuff like this.
  • edited November 2009
    but python is so happy!
  • edited November 2009
    so what problems are you you having with python?

maybe you should seek out a tutor for the final exam? is cmpt the only class your having problems with?
  • edited November 2009
    Grabbed the info from http://students.sfu.ca/calendar/StudentEnrolment.html
    Course Drop Period

Regular Term – Class Days 16-25

No courses can be added or changed to audit status after the fifteenth day of classes.

After the 15th to the 25th day of classes, courses may be dropped by the student via the web at http://sis.sfu.ca. Courses dropped within this period will be automatically recorded with a WD notation on the student’s academic record. There is no refund for courses dropped during this period. Students can apply to drop courses for extenuating circumstances at this time and if approved, the notation will be WE rather than WD.

During the sixth to twelfth class week a course(s) may be dropped only in extenuating circumstances. If approved, there will be a WE notation on the student’s academic record for specific courses dropped. Apply to Student Services. Requests arising after the twelfth week, or requests relating to courses completed in a previous term, are referred to as ‘retroactive’ and follow the same procedures as above but may take longer to adjudicate.

Note: Extenuating circumstances are defined as unusual circumstances beyond the student’s control which make it impossible for the student to complete the course. If a course drop is being considered after the 12th week of classes, it is recommended that students seek advice from Academic Advising and Student Success or their department advisor.
    At this point I say drop the course and take your lumps. Do what you have to do to get that WE on your transcript. It looks better than an F or a D.
  • edited November 2009
    he needs some sort of proof for extenuating circumstances.
  • edited November 2009
    NukeChem;61891 said:

At this point I say drop the course and take your lumps. Do what you have to do to get that WE on your transcript. It looks better than an F or a D.
    man, my grades have thoroughly been raped with copious amounts of F's and D's last year :(
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, it's the only course I'm having problems with...I just can't understand the material at all. Perhaps I should go about seeking a tutor...

I don't believe I have anything that would count as proof for an extenuating circumstance so that most likely wouldn't work...
  • edited November 2009
    are the marks in your other classes high enough to balance out the fail of the cmpt class?

to keep your semester gpa high enough to stay on the border?

and are you on AP right now or what?
  • edited November 2009
    No, I'm not on AP and unfortunately, I'm not taking that many courses this semester due to some "issues" so the balance probably won't be enough.
  • edited November 2009
    wait, i thought u were in AP, cause if not, then you technically still have 1 semester left to do well and hopefully get a 2.0 cgpa back.
  • edited November 2009
    ^ he's made a valid point
  • edited November 2009
    uh... if you're not yet on AP technically you're ok. you have to be on AP and THEN fuck up to get kicked out.

Leave a Comment