To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Vancouver Canucks

Comments

• edited June 2009
    thats the pt, they dont need to sign them..

if i were leafs gm, just keep rebuilding, its a multiyear project, stockpile young players + draft picks, develop from within.. getting top line fa's like the sedins does nothin but push them out of lottery picks in the draft

and if i were in the sedin's shoes, winning a cup has to be high on the priority list, leafs wont serve that purpose, not right now anyways
  • edited June 2009
    imelting;57021 said:
    thats the pt, they dont need to sign them..

if i were leafs gm, just keep rebuilding, its a multiyear project, stockpile young players + draft picks, develop from within.. getting top line fa's like the sedins does nothin but push them out of lottery picks in the draft

and if i were in the sedin's shoes, winning a cup has to be high on the priority list, leafs wont serve that purpose, not right now anyways
    Burke specifically stated he's not playing for the lottery. Next years draft wont be as deep as this years draft was.

The leafs will continue to rebuild and at the same time they will add top six talent. The idea is to add the talent without sacrificing draftpicks. One thing the leafs have is cap space and with that they can do more than just rebuild and sit close to a lottery pick.
  • edited June 2009
    sure that all fine, but i personally think they'd be better served targeting younger players and building around them

they tried that with kaberle // kessel but there was a breakdown in communication in the draft picks b/w the teams.. now kessel would be a decent young player to build with.. kessel was born in 87, sedins are 80, big difference
  • edited June 2009
    and i dont think any gm would say they are gonna tank a season to get a high draft pick
    u dont think burke woulda rather the leafs sucked the 2nd half of last year instead of playing mediocre hockey and getting stuck with a top 10 pick, instead of a top 3
    he wanted tavarez bad, and if not him, he wanted schenn's brother, and he missed on both cause his team was decent down the stretch
  • edited June 2009
    imelting;57025 said:
    and i dont think any gm would say they are gonna tank a season to get a high draft pick
    u dont think burke woulda rather the leafs sucked the 2nd half of last year instead of playing mediocre hockey and getting stuck with a top 10 pick, instead of a top 3
    he wanted tavarez bad, and if not him, he wanted schenn's brother, and he missed on both cause his team was decent down the stretch
    You probably didnt see the interview Burke did when the leafs were officially eliminated fromt he playoffs this year, he was visibly pissed. There is no way tanking is an option within the leaf organization/management. It won't happen. Burke also was not willing to overpay for Tavares and B. Schenn. Another reason we didnt come close to obtaining either centreman.

The link below talks about the sisters(sedins) possible movement tommorow:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berger/Vancouver-Or-Toronto-For-Sedins/3/21878

From what I have heard Burke has sent an offer to LA for B. Schenn that expires tommorow at noon. It involves tomas kaberle + 2010 1st + Ian White + Alexi Ponikarovsky for LA's B. Schenn. Its over payment for sure, but not enough, I dont think, for Dean Lombardi to let Schenn go from LA.

Heres the link:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index.php/2009/06/28/the-big-rumour-toronto-los-angeles-talking-trade/

and

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index.php/2009/06/29/la-story/
  • edited June 2009
    i saw the interview, they even had it live on tsn.. only in canada lol :D

and i wouldnt expect any less from burke, hes the gm of the team, obviously he wouldnt admit to it publicly that he would rather his team suck down the stretch

to comment about the trade rumor, it may seem like a lot but top flight young prospects with entry level contracts are the hottest commodities in the nhl right now (along with top draft picks)
    i personally think the kings lose in that trade, unless they are packaging for top nhl talent talent i wouldnt trade away any of their young stars
  • edited June 2009
    fun times in nhl, looks like heatley goin to oil pending his approval
    Cogliano, Penner, Smid goin the other way

another northwest division rival yippee
  • edited June 2009
    Damnit. I think I hate Edmonton more than any other team (no offence to any of the Oiler fans on this forum), and it'll suck if another top talent will end up in the Northwest. Calgary already inked Jay Bouwmeester today, and now this.

The Canucks need to do something man!
  • edited July 2009
    All right-- Heatley has turned down the deal!
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283382
  • edited July 2009
    Twins signed for 6.1m each over 5 years. Not bad imo
  • edited July 2009
    Good deal for Vancouver, they would've gotten at least $7 million on the open market. Now they need to get a puck-moving defenceman.
  • edited July 2009
    What happened with Ohlund?
  • edited July 2009
    Ohlund signed with Tampa Bay. 7 year contract with an average salary of $3.75.

Latest rumour right now is Montreal, Chicago are after Hossa.
  • edited July 2009
    According to tsn live blog, the Hossa deal is done ~5mil cap hit.

Now we barely have enough money to sign Gaborik without sacrificing another player. Thanks Sedins.
  • edited July 2009
    chicago got him at 12yr 5.2per
  • edited July 2009
    Man that is an excellent signing. A cap hit of 5.2 for a player of Hossa's calibre will still give them the room needed to sign Kane and Toews when their up for contracts next year.
  • edited July 2009
    their roster has some nice rfas that might get offers on especially since their cap is starting to look beefy with hossa, and bolland reupping too

they might deal huet to dump his salary, but where they go with their goaltending will be a question mark
  • edited July 2009
    Gaborik, 5yr 37.5, 7.5 hit to NYR
    seriously, what the hell?
  • edited July 2009
    Sather is a douche, im soo pissed right now. But to be realistic with the cap getting smaller in the upcoming year, they could not go any higher then 6 mil.
  • edited July 2009
    lol why are u getting pissed off b/c a gm in new york is spending money to acquire a player

sather has handed out a number of bad contracts, this isnt the first and prob wont be the last as long as hes still in charge
  • edited July 2009
    When is Joe sakic coming to vancouver? lol
  • edited July 2009
    Chicago just made things very interesting with the Hossa addition...although 12 years is kinda crazy
  • edited July 2009
    so whats going to happen when the cap goes down by say, 5mil? Buyouts?
  • edited July 2009
    Well, the cap would be dropping gradually, so they could accompany that I guess. Time to see how these teams that picked up so many players will do the season after.

Damn it, I miss hockey.
  • edited July 2009
    its important to land the right pieces in free agency, but winning a stanley cup is done through the draft/development and not on july 1st

i'll reserve judgment on what gillis has done thus far, just like last year at the trading deadline last yr, there were players to be had but the price was too steep and he didnt make moves for the sake of making them

we do have the cap space to add some complementary pieces and im sure gillis is workin towards that goal (having said that, i'd rather not see sundin back, unless we get him dirt cheap)
  • edited July 2009
    here were the top 5 forwards available going into yesterday:

hossa signed for 12yr 62m
    7.5 for 8 yrs and 500k for last 4 (probably buyout $$)
    gaborik 5yr 37.5m
    7.5m a yr
    cammelari 5yr 30m
    6m a yr

sedin 5yr 30.5 // sedin 5yr 30.5
    so 6.1m a yr

lookin at the #s we got a pretty favorable home town discount, big name free agents most likely kills a teams payroll and just arent worth it
    other teams made a splash, but i dont mind the direction the canucks are currently on, just need a few more complementary players and 10 mill to work with
  • edited July 2009
    imelting;57110 said:
    lol why are u getting pissed off b/c a gm in new york is spending money to acquire a player

sather has handed out a number of bad contracts, this isnt the first and prob wont be the last as long as hes still in charge
    Gainey's a even bigger dumbass, he took Gomez for around 7.5 mil/year giving Sather cap room to get Gaborik. Without that trade I think we sign Gaborik for 36 mil/6 years. He wanted to play in Vancouver but New York went big on their offer. Sather is still a douce for playing a guy 7.5 mil whose only scored 40 goals once in his career. That being said I really wanted him on the Canucks, soo much potential. I bet Sather pant`s are still wet from when Gaborik scored 5 on King Henry.
  • edited July 2009
    Ocho Cinco;57155 said:
    Gainey's a even bigger dumbass, he took Gomez for around 7.5 mil/year giving Sather cap room to get Gaborik. Without that trade I think we sign Gaborik for 36 mil/6 years. He wanted to play in Vancouver but New York went big on their offer. Sather is still a douce for playing a guy 7.5 mil whose only scored 40 goals once in his career. That being said I really wanted him on the Canucks, soo much potential. I bet Sather pant`s are still wet from when Gaborik scored 5 on King Henry.
    I agree, no idea what gainey is doing because he lost out on a tough dman in komaserek and replaced him with two older guys in gill and spacek. Gomez was a bad move because 7.5 mill a year for a second line scorer who will get probably 60-70 points is not worth it. The habs went and got a lot smaller and a team like philly, boston, or anaheim will have no fears in intimidating them with their size and toughness.

As for gomez 7.5 mill a year is too much and he won't produce anymore than what henrik is capable of. I'm going ot reserve judgement on the canucks and gillis because we pretty much have the same team as last year and with a piece or two we might get past round 2. Maybe return of sundin so kesler and demitra can continue to grow and we'll be set. Maybe a backup goalie or schneider can step up and play backup. Would love to see our young guys develop... Hodgson, Grabner, Raymond.
  • edited July 2009
    samuelson for 3yrs 7.5 is the number i see floating around
    2.5 is solid cap # to work with

very good signing imo, now to see if we can land a solid d man
    still got over 6 mill if the #s are accurate

this was exactly the kind of move i was hoping gillis to make, a solid depth guy, 6'2 210, 19goals last yr 40pts, played in red wing system, and at an affordable price
    allows vigneault to possibly slot him with the sedins, that frees up burrows elsewhere, or use him in a different capacity
  • edited July 2009
    I like this signing too. Relatively cheap for a quality player coming from the Red Wings...it's always good when u get Red Wings scraps lol

Although..i was surprised that he'll be 33 by the time the season starts. I always thought he was young for some reason.

I agree with u...he does have that element of versatility.

Leave a Comment