To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Vancouver Canucks

Comments

• edited May 2009
    now i'm just waiting for some ppl to attack you all over again.. =P
  • edited May 2009
    Justin Credible;54959 said:
    please: the canucks were not the same team that beat st louis in round 1. Chicago dominated in all aspects and luongo did not show up tonight.

Hate to tell you so but those hawks are good. Told ya the nux were in trouble and sure enough this is what happens.

Great season Vancouver and congrats to chicago. Now i hope some people on here actually take me seriously than before when i said the canucks were in trouble and they started attacking me of being a bandwagon jumper. I am an avid canucks fan and always will be but i have enough sense to know what i'm talking about half the time. :P Hate to have told you so but i told you so.
    its always easy to say i told u so after the fact

no one said this was gonna be slam dunk or itd be easy, just that u were acting like a typical bandwagoner and the faithful responded in kind
  • edited May 2009
    Luongo was bruuuuuu-tal! His interview on TSN is heartbreaking though. It's hard to see a man cry!

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the off-season. I wouldn't be surprised if Sundin announces his retirement soon-ish (his look to the ice was similar to that of Linden's last season, except without the emotional attachment from anyone but Leaf fans). Sedins will be interesting as well.

Finally, O'Brien got his long-awaited goal! I was hoping that Pyatt could pull a storybook ending and score the game winner.
  • edited May 2009
    that Kane is something else...
  • edited May 2009
    siuying;54960 said:
    now i'm just waiting for some ppl to attack you all over again.. =P
    Will that certain "some ppl" get reprimanded if he does?
  • edited May 2009
    DaNoobie;54963 said:
    that Kane is something else...
    yeah, he wasnt a first overall pick for nothin lol
    and as a hockey fan, that 3rd goal was just simply amazing
    DaNoobie;54964 said:
    haha, i think anything aside from mad flaming/trolling and personal attacks, its fair game
  • edited May 2009
    I'm devastated. Again, I'm gonna have to put my thoughts in my point form because I don't think I can organize them:

* The boys played their hearts out tonight. Them going down tonight wasn't going to be because of another lackluster effort.

* I find it difficult to blame Luongo for the series loss. He made so many pivotal saves in this series that, if it weren't for him, we probably wouldn't even have had a game today. Yes I'm, aware of all the goals he's let in in the 3rd... but how well have the Canucks played in those games? What about all the bad penalties?

* I look to the defencemen in this series. Three of our top guys were beaten on pivotal plays tonight, leading to the goals. Ohlund, playing for the puck on Kane instead of taking the body... are you kidding me? Mitchell losing on a routine puck battle behind the net leading to the real backbreaker goal by Kane (wrap around). Bieska... had the entire ice on the far side to clear the puck, but opted to play it to the clutter on the short side. Could Luongo have afforded to bail one of them out there? Maybe... but those plays first and foremost needed to made IMO.

* The officiating for the series was good for the most part, but in this game, it was pretty weak. I don't think I have to elaborate here.

That's all for now. Probably more to come.
  • edited May 2009
    and lookin to the offseason, gillis has some work to do

i think:
    av is gone, he had a fair shot at it and gillis stuck with him for this run when he got his gm job, no idea bout replacement
    sedins will most likely be resigned, dunno about the #s but i dont think we can replace our first line just like that tho im open to what others might have in mind
    luongo contract.. id like to see an extention (im sure some might disagree) but unless u can convince me we can get someone better or have a different plan, im all ears -- none of the "omg but he sucks" argument, thats just irrational
  • edited May 2009
    -
  • edited May 2009
    iLLmAtic;54967 said:
    * The boys played their hearts out tonight. Them going down tonight wasn't going to be because of another lackluster effort.
    yeah for the most part they did what they could, hell even sundin has played alright (for as much bashing i do, i do acknowledge he played OK lol)
    iLLmAtic;54967 said:
    * I find it difficult to blame Luongo for the series loss. He made so many pivotal saves in this series that, if it weren't for him, we probably wouldn't even have had a game today. Yes I'm, aware of all the goals he's let in in the 3rd... but how well have the Canucks played in those games? What about all the bad penalties?
    right with u there, its a team game, easy to just blame the last line of defense
    having said that, we needed him to stand on his head and it didnt happen
    penalties were iffy, but i dont think it was the difference in the game/series
    iLLmAtic;54967 said:
    * I look to the defencemen in this series. Three of our top guys were beaten on pivotal plays tonight, leading to the goals. Ohlund, playing for the puck on Kane instead of taking the body... are you kidding me? Mitchell losing on a routine puck battle behind the net leading to the real backbreaker goal by Kane (wrap around). Bieska... had the entire ice on the far side to clear the puck, but opted to play it to the clutter on the short side. Could Luongo have afforded to bail one of them out there? Maybe... but those plays first and foremost needed to made IMO.
    yup, and even the PP goal off edler, he could have been positioned better to not have the skate like that, and if toews intentionally banked it off him (unlikely? lol), props to him for that
    iLLmAtic;54967 said:
    * The officiating for the series was good for the most part, but in this game, it was pretty weak. I don't think I have to elaborate here.
    personally dont think it made the difference in the game, yes there were missed calls, but so many other things went wrong that it didnt seem to matter
    i mean rypien taking that undiscipline play at the boards didnt help matters

ok im done tonite too lol nite all
  • edited May 2009
    im gunna go redo the playoffs on nhl 09 to make me feel better
  • edited May 2009
    DaNoobie;54964 said:
    what imelting said.. =P

but yeah.. i couldn't help but feel for luongo.. it was heart wretching to see him like that.. =\
  • edited May 2009
    Canucks.jpg
  • edited May 2009
    Well, at least if Lu's feeling like it's his fault, he won't get angry and leave for a different team.
  • edited May 2009
    Well the Canucks overall had a pretty good year and have a lot to build on. A few things in my opinion need some work. Their defence for sure needs to be re-tooled and Burrows isn't quite the superstar he was being made out to be. I am looking forward to seeing how Cody Hodgson fits in and what moves will be made in the off season.

Will Sundin and Demitra be back? Sundin was actually just starting to find his groove....lol No need to overreact people, it's just a game

On a side note...between Bieksa and Mitchell that's a ton of turnovers and bad plays. WOW
  • edited May 2009
    Demitra has a contract for next season, so yah I think he'd be back
  • edited May 2009
    Kevin M.;55022 said:
    Well the Canucks overall had a pretty good year and have a lot to build on. A few things in my opinion need some work. Their defence for sure needs to be re-tooled and Burrows isn't quite the superstar he was being made out to be. I am looking forward to seeing how Cody Hodgson fits in and what moves will be made in the off season.

Will Sundin and Demitra be back? Sundin was actually just starting to find his groove....lol No need to overreact people, it's just a game

On a side note...between Bieksa and Mitchell that's a ton of turnovers and bad plays. WOW
    He admitted he had a hip injury in the second round.
  • edited May 2009
    hmm bernier 2 years 4 mill. A good deal i think
  • edited May 2009
    I'm pretty happy about that. Solid big and fast fore-checker with untapped offensive potential.
  • edited May 2009
    Good deal for the Canucks, and it's great that Bernier was willing to take a paycut.
  • edited May 2009
    yeah bernier taking a pay cut will help ink the sedins and luongo long term LOL. Now if only luongo accepts 3-5 mill then we can go after some superstars that can score 40-50 goals a year.
  • edited June 2009
    injecting some rumors/reports ive heard the past few days

looks like luongo has agreed to an extension with the canucks, will see after july 1st if this is the case (not sure of legitimacy of this, but the dude that reported this on the radio is pretty well connected)

nucks, flyers, leafs have inside track on jay bouwmeester

no idea on sedins, id figure if we land bouwmeester we'd go after gaborik and sedins walk, not sure how it all plays out tho
    gillis didnt sound too optimistic on the radio though, for what thats worth

be interesting the next few days with the draft and free agency just around the corner
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not too sure about the Luongo thing. The guy on the radio sounded kind of apprehensive when he said it, and this is an unsubstantiated report. Don't believe the media that says it's being reported by ESPN, because it's not. It's closer to a "blog" type thing from that one source at ESPN.

The Sedins thing is looking pretty bleak, considering the two (three) parties have been negotiating since last summer. There is still a possibility that all this hard ball is just Gillis and JP Barry playing for leverage, and that a deal in the 11th hour may be possible. I really don't see how Gillis upping the offer from 5.5 to 6 over 5 years would be so difficult, nor do I see the Sedins turning down an offer like that.

Signing Gaborik to long term, top tiered money (7+) would be a huge mistake IMO. This guy cannot stay healthy, and I really don't see him fitting in with Coach Vig. If he was grumbling about an overly defensive minded philosophy in Minnesota, how is that different from here? Coach Vig has always been about defence first, even when they were scoring all of those goals last year. With that said though, if it was just a short term contract that matches, say the remaining years of Demitra's, I would not be against it.

With the supposed deep forward UFA pool out there this year, there really isn't anyone I like a lot. Someone is going to end up overpaying for Mike Cammalleri, IMO, and I don't see him as a go-to guy. Same for Martin Havlat, he's one of the most talented guys in the league, but is also extremely susceptible to injury. These guys are not franchise players IMO, and it looks like the market will command them to make that kind of money. It's also pretty debatable whether Marian Hossa is a franchise player, but he's a guy I'd like to see in a Canucks uniform. That's probably wishful thinking in any event, because he's likely looking for one of those long term (10+ year) contracts and if Gillis wasn't willing to give it to the Sedins, I don't really see him bucking up for Hossa either. Didn't he say he was against long term contracts last year?

Heatley is still available, and if the Sedins were gone his contract would theoretically fit for the Canucks. However, we might not have the assets to send the other way. I don't see the Nucks parting with Hodgson or Grabner, especially since a rebuilding year might be looming if the Sedins are gone. Schneider is potentially good trade bait, but if the Canucks can't re-sign Luongo he might be out of consideration as well. I also don't see Luongo re-signing for a rebuilding year.

So to sum up that long-winded post, if the Sedins were gone we just might be seeing the end of another era of the Canucks.
  • edited June 2009
    Guys there have just been some breaking news, the Team1040, citing a Swedish news source (the same one that reported 12 year/63 mil contract Sedins were seeking) has reported that the Sedins have re-signed with the Canucks on a 5 year/6 million contract each.
  • edited June 2009
    Not confirmed quite yet, but yay!
  • edited June 2009
    iLLmAtic;56936 said:
    I'm not too sure about the Luongo thing. The guy on the radio sounded kind of apprehensive when he said it, and this is an unsubstantiated report. Don't believe the media that says it's being reported by ESPN, because it's not. It's closer to a "blog" type thing from that one source at ESPN.

The Sedins thing is looking pretty bleak, considering the two (three) parties have been negotiating since last summer. There is still a possibility that all this hard ball is just Gillis and JP Barry playing for leverage, and that a deal in the 11th hour may be possible. I really don't see how Gillis upping the offer from 5.5 to 6 over 5 years would be so difficult, nor do I see the Sedins turning down an offer like that.

Signing Gaborik to long term, top tiered money (7+) would be a huge mistake IMO. This guy cannot stay healthy, and I really don't see him fitting in with Coach Vig. If he was grumbling about an overly defensive minded philosophy in Minnesota, how is that different from here? Coach Vig has always been about defence first, even when they were scoring all of those goals last year. With that said though, if it was just a short term contract that matches, say the remaining years of Demitra's, I would not be against it.

With the supposed deep forward UFA pool out there this year, there really isn't anyone I like a lot. Someone is going to end up overpaying for Mike Cammalleri, IMO, and I don't see him as a go-to guy. Same for Martin Havlat, he's one of the most talented guys in the league, but is also extremely susceptible to injury. These guys are not franchise players IMO, and it looks like the market will command them to make that kind of money. It's also pretty debatable whether Marian Hossa is a franchise player, but he's a guy I'd like to see in a Canucks uniform. That's probably wishful thinking in any event, because he's likely looking for one of those long term (10+ year) contracts and if Gillis wasn't willing to give it to the Sedins, I don't really see him bucking up for Hossa either. Didn't he say he was against long term contracts last year?

Heatley is still available, and if the Sedins were gone his contract would theoretically fit for the Canucks. However, we might not have the assets to send the other way. I don't see the Nucks parting with Hodgson or Grabner, especially since a rebuilding year might be looming if the Sedins are gone. Schneider is potentially good trade bait, but if the Canucks can't re-sign Luongo he might be out of consideration as well. I also don't see Luongo re-signing for a rebuilding year.

So to sum up that long-winded post, if the Sedins were gone we just might be seeing the end of another era of the Canucks.
    MY opinion on what was posted above.

As for luongo, don't worry i'm sure he'll sign on for another 3-4 years at least. He knows that we are making progress, and that he is one of the leaders on the canucks. His passion for this city and his leadership will be main reasons why he stays.

I'm confident the sedins will stay too because both sides have common ground. The sedins want to be here and the canucks want them here. That means they are on the same ground and they can work something out. We need their consistent production and they are good players. I'm thinking a 6 year deal for about 6 mill a year.

Overall i think gaborik will be a good pickup. When healthy he's fast, dynamic, and a scorer. Something the canucks need desperately. Playing with his buddy demitra will also bring demitra's production up too.

As for heatley i would like him in a canuck uniform but i don't want gillis ot jeopardize the future to trade for him. Schneider is one of the prospects and will be a future piece on our team.
  • edited June 2009
    looks like cow town has signed bouwmeester to 5yr deal, 6.6cap hit per/yr

also, with mtl picking up gomez, they were a potential suitor for the sedins, so this may potentially work in the canucks favor as they should be out of the running with that move
  • edited June 2009
    Justin Credible;57014 said:

I'm confident the sedins will stay

Unless they accept Gillis' last offer then the're coming to Toronto, no doubt Burke can offer a better contract.

GO LEAFS GO!
  • edited June 2009
    for toronto's sake, they should not sign the sedins, they should keep sucking and rebuild
  • edited June 2009
    imelting;57018 said:
    for toronto's sake, they should not sign the sedins, they should keep sucking and rebuild
    They will suck anyways with the sisters. Toronto will most likely trade tomas kaberle and pavel kubina by the end of the summer. There defence will be horrible next year. The only notable exception to this is Luke Schenn.

Leave a Comment