To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Did you get the classes you wanted?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I'm taking
    Crim 413
    Crim 330
    SA 321
    SA 358

Was considering Crim 343 but it's really writing intensive and I've already had too much of that this semester... plus I wasn't able to dig up any dirt on the prof, Margaret Jackson..
  • edited March 2009
    ^

I heard taking Crim 330 DE was quite difficult, please let me know how it all goes by the time you're done. If bearable, I might attempt it in the fall!

I'm taking SA 358 DE too, should be interesting. 4 2-page papers and 1 5-page paper...I wonder how concise they will have to be
  • edited March 2009
    wh0whatwhere;51567 said:
    ^

I heard taking Crim 330 DE was quite difficult, please let me know how it all goes by the time you're done. If bearable, I might attempt it in the fall!

I'm taking SA 358 DE too, should be interesting. 4 2-page papers and 1 5-page paper...I wonder how concise they will have to be
    Ugh.. are you serious? That blows because the profs RMP comments were pretty crappy and I figured I had lucked out by being able to take it by DE. Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll just have to give it my best considering the fact that it's required.

I'm looking forward to SA 358! I got my friend to enroll in it as well! Apparently the prof for that class is pretty awesome and not a total hard ass
  • edited March 2009
    I decided to take a night class during my next co-op term :tongue:

BUS 374 E1
  • edited March 2009
    someone answer me!! pleassseeee....or ill hate you forever
  • edited March 2009
    lazyGUY;51547 said:
    so do they just cancel classes that no one enrolls in? One of the classes I want to take is in both burnaby and surrey, but surrey only has 5 out of 80 seats taken. and i wanted to take that one....
    I know they've cancelled classes for BUS...
  • edited March 2009
    Hello Summerheaven,

As I promised, I went and talked to a few students in Prof. Cousins's HIST 424 seminar course before class starts. Of the three students I interviewed, I gathered that Prof. Cousins is a...

1.) Pretty clear professor
    2.) A fair professor
    3.) A very helpful professor
    4.) He gives good feed back
    5.) He is very nice

As an added bonus (for me at least), Prof. Cousins is "very excited about the British Columbia course." As for HIST 102, I don't know how much of the above attributes will be beneficial to you. Afterall, being a 100-level history, you will probably be dealing with TAs most of the time, unless you are lucky enough to enroll in the "Prof's Tutorial".

Sincerely,

Student0667
    lazyGUY;51573 said:
    someone answer me!! pleassseeee....or ill hate you forever
    If enrollment is too low, class will be cancelled.
  • edited March 2009
    ^Thanks, Student, it seems like he's a good prof.
    At go.sfu it says that all the tutorials are taught by Staff, which means the prof, right?
  • edited March 2009
    Student0667;51580 said:

Sincerely,

Student0667
    thanks for the answers, but im disappointed i never got one of those :confused:
  • edited March 2009
    summerheaven;51585 said:
    ^Thanks, Student, it seems like he's a good prof.
    You are very welcome.
    At go.sfu it says that all the tutorials are taught by Staff, which means the prof, right?
    Usually, for bigger courses (ie ones with ones with over 125 students) it is a combination of professor and TAs. However, since HIST 102 has only 88 students in it, I think Prof. Cousins will be your Prof and TA. Also, if I am not mistaken, non tenure professors don't get the luxury of TAs.
  • edited March 2009
    If a class says "Closed", will there be any chances of it opening up again?
  • edited March 2009
    Agentbob;51589 said:
    If a class says "Closed", will there be any chances of it opening up again?
    Close as in "Blue Box" Close?

If so, this means that both the class and the waitlist are full, thus it is unable to enroll any more students, hence CLOSE.

Wait around, some schmuck always drop class and that class will become "Yellow Triangle" waitlist. Or, if the waitlist people are all stupid enough to not leave room open for automatic enrollment when someone do drop the class, it will become a "Green Circle" open.
  • edited March 2009
    Student0667;51590 said:
    Close as in "Blue Box" Close?

If so, this means that both the class and the waitlist are full, thus it is unable to enroll any more students, hence CLOSE.

Wait around, some schmuck always drop class and that class will become "Yellow Triangle" waitlist. Or, if the waitlist people are all stupid enough to not leave room open for automatic enrollment when someone do drop the class, it will become a "Green Circle" open.
    If after the first/second week of class has started and the class still remains "Close", would you recommend that I continue to wait?
  • edited March 2009
    Agentbob;51593 said:
    If after the first/second week of class has started and the class still remains "Close", would you recommend that I continue to wait?
    I don't think you can even get into the course if it is still close after first/ second week of class. This usually means that the course is full and can not take in anymore students.
  • edited March 2009
    If noone has dropped and its still full at the first week of class, talk to the advisor or professor to specially admit you.
  • edited March 2009
    randomuser;51599 said:
    If noone has dropped and its still full at the first week of class, talk to the advisor or professor to specially admit you.
    The thing is that the prof or advisor will most likely admit the people on the waitlist first BEFORE they admit someone who is not even on the waitlist. But then again, there are exceptions (ie my aggressive negotiation to get into HUM 302).

Also, I don't know if anyone notice, but GoSFU does purge the waitlist after the first week of class.
  • edited March 2009
    Student0667;51590 said:
    Or, if the waitlist people are all stupid enough to not leave room open for automatic enrollment when someone do drop the class, it will become a "Green Circle" open.
    Do you mean that if you have another class at the same time as a waitlisted class they wait for you to drop it before you are admitted? So people further down the waitlist can't steal the spot, they have to wait for the 1st person on waitlist to get the spot?
  • edited March 2009
    summerheaven;51607 said:
    Do you mean that if you have another class at the same time as a waitlisted class they wait for you to drop it before you are admitted?
    This is going to be rather hard to explain, but I will try my best...

No, if you have another class at the exact same time as a waitlisted class, the GoSFU program will bypass you and go to the person after you. It is like a number Queue, if you miss your number, you don't get served. (However, I have heard something about the swap feature that can be used to automatically drop any course in your schedule and replace it with the waitlisted course once a space is available. I haven't tried this feature before, may someone elaborate?)

Also, as you may or may not know, we can only take 18 credits worth of classes. Therefore, if your schedule can no longer enroll in any more courses(ex: 16 credits), GoSFU will bypass you and give the spot to the person after you.

For example, Sam is enrolled in 16 credits worth of classes and is waitlisting for HUM-302. Sarah is enrolled in only 12 credits worth of class and is also waitlisting on HUM-302. Sam is first on the waitlist and Sarah is second. A spot became available for HUM-302. However, since Sam is enrolled in 16 credits worth of classes, he can't enroll in any more class unless he drop something. Therefore, the spot in HUM-302 became Sarah's.
    So people further down the waitlist can't steal the spot, they have to wait for the 1st person on waitlist to get the spot?
    No, the people further down the waitlist can indeed steal the spot. For example, back in Spring 08, I was able to enroll into HUM-340 because none of the people on the waitlist bother to leave 4 credits open in their schedule for the GoSFU system to automatically enroll them into HUM-340. Thus, since none of the waitlist people can enroll, I did.
  • edited March 2009
    Great. Thanks for the explanation, Student. I guess I'll have to stalk those two language classes I wanted, it's completely closed and I'm not on the waitlist.
  • edited March 2009
    I got into CMNS 210 and HIST 102... waitlisted for WL 102.

WL 102 is at the same time as CMNS 210 though... I'm #3... if WL 102 opens up should I take CMNS 210 or WL 102?

EDIT: actually WL 102 sounds really awesome, fairytales! hopefully they won't skip me if I don't get rid of CMNS 210 in time...
  • edited March 2009
    ^Well, at least you got into HIST 102. Haha, looks like we can share funny stories about Prof. Cousins like we did with Prof. Pearson again!

BTW, your Tuesday this summer looks packed!
    Summerheaven said:
    hopefully they won't skip me if I don't get rid of CMNS 210 in time...
    I hate to break this to you, but they will skip you if you don't drop CMNS 210 in time. What I would recommend is that, once you are number 1 on the waitlist, you drop CMNS 210 to leave room open for the GoSFU system to enroll you.

http://students.sfu.ca/help/sishelp/enrolling.html#waitlist
  • edited March 2009
    It would suck if I lose CMNS 210 and not get into WL 102 though.

CMNS still has 13 spots left but the waitlist is at 6.

I think I'm willing to risk not taking CMNS 210 for WL 102 though...

I guess I should stop worrying so much, people are bound to drop out after the first week. I'm just worried that not as many would drop out due to the lack of courses this semester.

And yeah, my Tuesday is packed with a tutorial in the morning (9:30AM! Gotta wake up at 7 T_T) a class in the afternoon and a tutorial in the afternoon. The one class on Thursday.

But hey, it's better than my schedule this semester, i usually don't leave camps until 6PM every day. It's actually pretty good, 'cause I'm looking for a job and this will give me great availability.
  • edited March 2009
    so im in Crim 230 and Poli Sci 151. Wait listed for SA 150 and Crim 103
  • edited March 2009
    bleed.the.mannequin;51755 said:
    so im in Crim 230 and Poli Sci 151. Wait listed for SA 150 and Crim 103
    Hey! Are you taking 230 by DE or in lecture?
  • edited March 2009
    summerheaven;51754 said:
    It would suck if I lose CMNS 210 and not get into WL 102 though.
    Yeah, good point. I guess the best thing for you to do is to check the GoSFU system regularily to see if there is an opening. Afterall, like I said last night, after someone drop the course, there is usually a 8-12 hour stand-still period where GoSFU won't enroll anybody on the waitlist. Therefore, if you are #1 on the waitlist and see an opening for WL102, drop CMNS 210.

GoSFU should really have a function where you can program it to drop one course if you can enroll in another.
    I guess I should stop worrying so much, people are bound to drop out after the first week. I'm just worried that not as many would drop out due to the lack of courses this semester.
    Well actually, I think people will be more willing to drop classes during the summer. Afterall, it is summer!

In fact, I suspect that many people enrolled class just to get an U-Pass. Once the U-Pass arrived in the mail, they will drop the class.
    And yeah, my Tuesday is packed with a tutorial in the morning (9:30AM! Gotta wake up at 7 T_T) a class in the afternoon and a tutorial in the afternoon. The one class on Thursday.
    I only have to go to school on Monday from 1:30-5:20. I probably don't have to wake up until 10:00AM.
    But hey, it's better than my schedule this semester, i usually don't leave camps until 6PM every day. It's actually pretty good, 'cause I'm looking for a job and this will give me great availability.
    Assuming there are jobs out there. I was checking out Craigslist Job Posting last night and Richmond got some pretty crappy postings. With a U-Pass, I can certainly expand to place like Vancouver or New West, but still...
  • edited March 2009
    xxk1nky;51759 said:
    Hey! Are you taking 230 by DE or in lecture?
    lecture
  • edited March 2009
    bleed.the.mannequin;51761 said:
    lecture
    Sweet, you're in my class! Are you in the 11:30-12:20pm tutorial the next day?
  • edited March 2009
    xxk1nky;51780 said:
    Sweet, you're in my class! Are you in the 11:30-12:20pm tutorial the next day?
    no'z. its right after lecture. @ 4:30
  • edited March 2009
    bleed.the.mannequin;51782 said:
    no'z. its right after lecture. @ 4:30
    WHAT! Did you just recently register or did you get an early enrolment date? Because I don't recall seeing that time open... Nevermind! I just enroled in it. Haha, thanks for telling me!
  • edited March 2009
    hah see u then! lol

Leave a Comment