To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Buying Concert Tickets?

edited March 2009 in General
Theres tickets I want to buy tomorrow, and I cant figure out if I should buy from ticket master or live nation? Or are they using the same stock? I don't know how to interpret this shady market.

If they use the same stock I'm assuming ticketmaster since you can save credit card info...any tips on buying tickets for popular events?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    whats this popular event you speak of
  • edited March 2009
    coldplay goes on sale tomorrow
  • edited March 2009
    They're trying to merge at the moment, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were the same stock.

You've got two shows(the 20th and 21st) to try your luck with anyway.
  • edited March 2009
    Good luck... You didn't get pre-sale tickets?
  • edited March 2009
    gay.jpg

You know how I know you're gay?
  • edited March 2009
    Ticket Master is an utter joke. Buy it from Live Nation if you can, and yes, they are in talks of merging. Why the hell would you charge a service fee when you have to print your own ticket? It does not cost 5 bucks to send an e-mail.

Unfortunately, there isn't really another alternative that I know of. Unless you want to buy tickets from scrappers.
  • edited March 2009
    So, Livenation just redirected me to ticketmaster when you go to buy.

I was wondering why I couldn't enter billing info at livenation for my account.

Anyway, my page didnt load properly, and my floor seats it had found disappeared into thin air.

Now I got so-so seats.
  • edited March 2009
    i had the presale code for this too, i woulda posted if i knew someone was lookin for em :(
  • edited March 2009
    They had a pre-sale code...?

I only found out about this last night, and they just announced the second show last night as well...

I know nothing about buying tickets.
  • edited March 2009
    yeah it was available friday morning for ppl with the presale code, then general release saturday
  • edited March 2009
    Ahhhhhh feck, how do you get these things? I just want to know for future reference, I've never had to buy tickets myself, people have always just invited me.
  • edited March 2009
    i got mine thru the radio station emailing list

normally fan clubs/radio stns and sponsors get presale codes
  • edited March 2009
    Has anyone been to concerts at GM place? Im not on the floor, but on the second level, directly facing the stage, are those seats that far away that I can't see the band well? I got like the mid-quality seats.
  • edited March 2009
    There's three main avenues for presale codes in Vancouver.

Much Music, Georgia Strait, or CFOX.

Ticket master and Livenation uses the same stock, and charges pretty much the same amount. The only major difference is Ticketmaster usually sells out quicker.

If you're buying Coldplay tickets, you'd have be ready to purchase right when the tickets go on sale. Cause they'll sell out fast. Probably less than an hour.
    randomuser;50585 said:
    Has anyone been to concerts at GM place? Im not on the floor, but on the second level, directly facing the stage, are those seats that far away that I can't see the band well? I got like the mid-quality seats.
    If your seats are directly opposite of the stage, then yeah, they're the farthest away. I mean, just look at any hockey arena map.
  • edited March 2009
    Well theres the outer ring, I got the ones better than that, but worse than the floor seats.

I don't go to hockey games so I'd have no idea.

I was up right at 10AM to buy but my page had an error and the floor seats got released.
  • edited March 2009
    27011s_a.gif

Well, that's the Coldplay setup, so I'm assuming you're in 111 or 112?

*looks at ticket prices*

Holy shit, $100 for GA tickets?!
  • edited March 2009
    112 yeah, but looking at that I guess I'm pretty close to the outer ring anyway. I just rarely go to GM place so I'm not sure of the scale.

Now that I think about it as well, even some of those floor seats might be pretty far away.
  • edited March 2009
    The floor seats basically take up the area of the rink, which really isn't that big when you think about it. The problem with floor seats though is if say, people that are taller than you are sitting in front.
  • edited March 2009
    Do you usually sit at Coldplay concerts? I don't go to concerts, so I find this kind of surprising.
  • edited March 2009
    Thats what I'm wondering, I'd imagine you would sit, but I want to know.
  • edited March 2009
    ive had some really shitty floor seats b4 (seated or standing, ur lookin past heads)
    most of the plaza seats have fairly decent viewing angles
  • edited March 2009
    Floor Admission's standing.
    I've never been to a stadium concert where GA is seated. First come first serve. If you come early, you get to stand right next to the band, if you come in late, you get stuck in the back.
  • edited March 2009
    so do they end up overselling the floor seats then?
  • edited March 2009
    No, they still have to abide by fire regulations, so there's a set number of GA tickets available.
  • edited March 2009
    SpectreFire;50587 said:
    There's three main avenues for presale codes in Vancouver.

Much Music, Georgia Strait, or CFOX.
    Canucks ticket holders receive presale codes as well. I'm not sure exactly who is getting better priority if anyone is, but if you know someone who has a Canucks ticket package then they can give you a code. I usually get them in an e-mail the day before the presale.
  • edited March 2009
    for gm place, there is assigned seating for most major concerts
    row&seat #s

some have general floor 'first come first serve', it depends on how they set up the venue
  • edited March 2009
    randomuser;50569 said:
    They had a pre-sale code...?

I only found out about this last night, and they just announced the second show last night as well...

I know nothing about buying tickets.
    Yeah, pre-sale went on sale on Friday.
  • edited March 2009
    And for General Admission at GM Place, there are usually seats on the floor but obviously, everybody stands up.
  • edited March 2009
    xxk1nky;50757 said:
    And for General Admission at GM Place, there are usually seats on the floor but obviously, everybody stands up.
    Everyone usually stands up everywhere, but the fact that there are seats even in the GA section on the floor, makes concerts at GM Place suck.

Also, for future reference, I BELIEVE you can buy tickets directly from the box office at GM Place, or whatever venue the concert is at - you usually save a few dollars this way, if you don't mind trekking to the box office during open hours.
  • edited March 2009
    I went to see Weezer at GM Place back in October and there weren't any seats on the floor, despite seat numbers being listed on my ticket.

Leave a Comment