To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

PHIL XX1, PHIL 100, or PHIL 110

edited February 2009 in General
Hi, I am trying to choose an elective and wanted to take a philosophy course. However, I'm not quite sure which to take. What would you recommend?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Take something else because you should not take ANY philosophy course in SFU, period! Philosophy courses, especially PHILxx1, will be destory your GPA.
  • edited June 2008
    Really? I thought it would be interesting =P. How come Philosophy is hard?
  • edited June 2008
    DO NOT TAKE PHILOSOPHY!!

Let me repeat that again, in case you did not understand: DO NOT TAKE PHILOSOPHY!
  • edited June 2008
    Read the following threads and you will understand...

http://www.talksfu.ca/showthread.php?t=3428&highlight=philosophy

http://www.talksfu.ca/showthread.php?t=1946&highlight=philosophy

If I am not mistaken, I believe Siuying took Phil 100 and Phil 110. She will give you first hand account of those two courses.
  • edited June 2008
    wtf you guys, phil is awesome. I took 2 phil courses and got an A in both of them.

Don't take XX1, it's just a watered down version of 110 and it's pretty useless.

110 quantitative, it's all about symbolic logic, I highly recommend everyone take this course, it's one of the basic tenets of argumentation and reasoning, and a surprising amount of people still suck at this stuff even in university.

100 and 120 writing classes, both are great courses and it really just depends on what you're more interested in. Moral philosophy (120) tends to be rather boring unless you actually care about morality issues, knowledge and reality sounds pretty fun from my friends who took it.

If you can, take all three (100,110,120).
  • edited June 2008
    I took Phil 100 and basically it was like ... rape.

Readings make you go, "wtf" and every time you write a paper to argue something the TA just goes, "I don't like you so I am going to counter your argument with something ridiculous and just give you a 60%".

And it is very similar to this in every phil class you do.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm doing an extended minor in philosophy. If you haven't taken any philosophy courses before, then I suggest phil 100.

If you are really into logic and math-like stuff, then go take phil 210. There's no prerequisite needed and I find it more useful than phil 110.
  • edited June 2008
    Wow, I wanted to take PHIL XX1 and 110 to fufill my quantitative courses... but after hearing what most of you guys said Im not sure if I want to take any PHIL courses anymore =T I was planning on taking 100 for my first semester too! Should I change it?
  • edited June 2008
    You want to fill your quantitative requirements?

You're better off taking math or a programming course. There's logic too but it's not pure logic.

PHIL 100 isn't that bad. It's not logic but you learn some basic deduction. The concepts aren't necessarily hard but it's confusing and the average is usually like a C or something and it's usually curved so you can probably get a B.

Unless PHIL 100 is the only writing course in the list of WQB you need to fulfill, you're better off taking an English course.
  • edited June 2008
    summerheaven;32741 said:
    I was planning on taking 100 for my first semester too! Should I change it?
    Don't take Philosophy, period.
    Makall;32752 said:
    Summerheaven, you should take Chemistry 191 and Chemistry 192 if you want to fulfill your quantitive requirement. Both these two courses give you both B-Science and Q. I have taken Chemistry 192 and all that I am required to do is to do a powerpoint presentation, poster presentation, and a paper. I got an A in the course.

Right now, I am waiting for Chemistry 191 to finish my Q.
  • edited June 2008
    Makall;32752 said:

You're better off taking math or a programming course. There's logic too but it's not pure logic.

PHIL 100 isn't that bad. It's not logic but you learn some basic deduction. The concepts aren't necessarily hard but it's confusing and the average is usually like a C or something and it's usually curved so you can probably get a B.

Unless PHIL 100 is the only writing course in the list of WQB you need to fulfill, you're better off taking an English course.
    I'm hate math, though. I didn't even take math 12 in high school.
    I was planning on taking CMPT 165 for my science requirement, but a lot of people are saying that Arts students will suffer in it. I was even planning on taking CMPT 165 in the summer semester in the Surrey campus.
    Most other CMPT courses seem to need a grade 12 math prerequisite, which I don't have...
    Student0667;32753 said:

Summerheaven, you should take Chemistry 191 and Chemistry 192 if you want to fulfill your quantitive requirement. Both these two courses give you both B-Science and Q. I have taken Chemistry 192 and all that I am required to do is to do a powerpoint presentation, poster presentation, and a paper. I got an A in the course.

Right now, I am waiting for Chemistry 191 to finish my Q.
    I read the info in the calendar and it seems easy? But since i was entering arts in SFU I slacked off in Chemistry 12 (didn't even take the provincial because I got high marks in my other 4 provincially examinable courses) and ended up with a low B. Can you give me some more info on 191 and 192?
    Should I do it like this?
    Take 191 second semester of first year
    Take 192 first semester of second year (will it be too tough for me in the summer?)
  • edited June 2008
    Come on guys.. Philosophy is fun. You actually do some real thinking in Phil rather than just offering opinions and regurgitating facts like in other courses.

I took PHIL100w and it was easy. PHIL120 looked interesting too though.
  • edited June 2008
    summerheaven;32763 said:
    I read the info in the calendar and it seems easy? But since i was entering arts in SFU I slacked off in Chemistry 12 (didn't even take the provincial because I got high marks in my other 4 provincially examinable courses) and ended up with a low B. Can you give me some more info on 191 and 192?
    While I have not taken Chemistry 191 yet, I can tell you upfront that you DO NOT NEED ANY CHEMISTRY EXPERIENCE TO TAKE CHEMISTRY 192. To tell you the truth, I didn't even take Chemistry 11 in high school and I still get an A in Chemistry 192. Therefore, for someone who have taken Chemistry 12, you should be able to do better than me.
    Should I do it like this?
    Take 191 second semester of first year
    Take 192 first semester of second year (will it be too tough for me in the summer?)
    I talked to the Chemistry people and they said that they won't be offering Chemistry 191 until Spring 2010. So yeah, you pretty much has to taken Chemistry 192 first.

Anytime is a good time to take Chemistry 192, however you are expected to show up for class at least 4 times a week. Therefore summer Chemistry 192 may pose a serious scheduling challenge for Fall and Spring.
  • edited June 2008
    Ether;32773 said:
    Come on guys.. Philosophy is fun. You actually do some real thinking in Phil rather than just offering opinions and regurgitating facts like in other courses.

I took PHIL100w and it was easy. PHIL120 looked interesting too though.
    phil 120 IS interesting.. =)
    i really enjoyed it (besides the paper)
  • edited June 2008
    i personally think PHIL papers are extremely easy to write cause you can do so much bull shittin you just need the logic down
  • edited June 2008
    Student0667;32774 said:
    While I have not taken Chemistry 191 yet, I can tell you upfront that you DO NOT NEED ANY CHEMISTRY EXPERIENCE TO TAKE CHEMISTRY 192. To tell you the truth, I didn't even take Chemistry 11 in high school and I still get an A in Chemistry 192. Therefore, for someone who have taken Chemistry 12, you should be able to do better than me.

I talked to the Chemistry people and they said that they won't be offering Chemistry 191 until Spring 2010. So yeah, you pretty much has to taken Chemistry 192 first.

Anytime is a good time to take Chemistry 192, however you are expected to show up for class at least 4 times a week. Therefore summer Chemistry 192 may pose a serious scheduling challenge for Fall and Spring.
    Thanks a lot for all your input! I think I'll take it if I can second semester of my first year... I'll be aware of my scheduling. What did you learn exactly in the course? I'm reading the description in the calendar and it sounds boring... 191 sounds more suited to me since I'm taking some ARCH and HUM classes.
    I guess I'll take CHEM 191 in the second semester of my 2nd year, if I survive 192, it should be 2010 by then
  • edited June 2008
    summerheaven;32787 said:
    What did you learn exactly in the course? I'm reading the description in the calendar and it sounds boring... 191 sounds more suited to me since I'm taking some ARCH and HUM classes.
    Since this course is mostly presentations and self-research, the course content really depends on rather your classmates are 1337 enough to tackle some interesting topics for their projects. For my class, we have projects that deals with Hooka, Hydrogen Car, Computer Waste, and the Chernobyl Disaster (by me)!

By the way, "it sounds boring?" That's the point! Would you like to enroll in the ECON-102: Principle of Macroeconomic instead? That sounds a lot more exciting.
    I guess I'll take CHEM 191 in the second semester of my 2nd year, if I survive 192, it should be 2010 by then
    It seems that they are again offering Chemistry 192 in Fall 2008. Here is the course outline...

http://www.sfu.ca/chemistry/course_outlines/08-3/CHEM192v.pdf It appears that Prof. Goyan has increased the workload and overall challenge for the course.
  • edited June 2008
    If you want to fill Quant AND the Science requirement simultaneously then take MACM 101.
  • edited June 2008
    isnt taking principles of micro and macroeconomics conducive to fail?
  • edited June 2008
    ^not really.. but there's a whole bunch of bad profs teaching those courses..=\
  • edited June 2008
    randomuser;32797 said:
    isnt taking principles of micro and macroeconomics conducive to fail?
    Is your sarcasm detector broken as well?
  • edited February 2009
    im planning to take phl xx1 in the summer with peter horban. is it really that bad?
  • tmt
    edited February 2009
    Phil XX1 warning with P-Ho (peter horban).....multiple answer, multiple choice
  •  I am a 4th year student and I am filling in
    credits, I finished COGS 300 with a B grade, and I'm going to fail this course,
    I have spent weekends and many nights reading and re visiting the material,
    still not working. STAY AWAY FROM THESE COURSES!

• How do i pass philosophy 110, 105?

Leave a Comment