To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Two exams at the same time?

edited October 2014 in General
So I am planning out my spring semester and I realized that two of the classes that I want to take both have their final exams at the exact same date and time. Should I do one of those classes another semester or should I still enroll in both, and then see one of my professors immediately to get one of them rescheduled? Is it likely that they will be able to accommodate me considering that I knew in advance this conflict will occur?

Comments

• If you can easily take one of the courses at a later date, then that is probably the easier solution.

That said though this kind of thing happens all the time. I have known several people who had to get an exam moved and their professors were always fine with it. Seeing the professor at the beginning of the term is the important part though. If you were to go to them in March and say you need your exam moved they would be far less likely to say yes than if you do it in January =)

If you want to take both classes, and it makes the most sense to do them both this spring, then I think you should go for it. Worst case scenario neither prof agrees to move your exam in the first week and you can drop one and potentially pickup something else. As I say though I am quite sure you will be able to get it moved.
  • If at least one of those two courses is online then they will re-schedule one for you. If neither are online then I don't think theres much you can do 
  • I don't think it will allow to enroll if there's a time conflict, you'll probably have to get an advisor to enroll you and get permission from one or both profs.
  • Thanks all of you for the feedback, I really appreciate it :) I just checked out the Spring 2015 Schedule of Undergraduate Classes and there is a note that "It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not enrol in classes with conflicting exam times. If you have a good reason to enrol in classes with conflicting exam times, you may request the permission of the departments offering those classes." I think I will try to pay a visit to an academic advisor tomorrow and see what they think I should do, hopefully I can still take them both!

Leave a Comment