To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Has anyone gotten their open scholarship yet??

edited September 2014 in General
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you gotten any notification for open scholarship yet and if you did, can I ask what's your CGPA is at?

I know that the minimum of CGPA on the SFU website is 3.67 but I heard that doesn't guarantee you from getting the scholarship...

Comments

• I have been receiving open scholarship for 6 semesters. it guarantees you have scholarship when you have required cgpa and term gpa. Term gpa usually is higher than cgpa. I had gap around 3.8,3.9..then gradually goes to 4.0. It does not matter how high you get (like 4.33). As long as you meet the requirements, it guarantees, in my case. They usually notify you not later than the fourth week of the semester.
    It will come. But if you only meet 3.67, term gpa is 3.5,or you take less than certain credits, no scholarship. Have at least 30 credits. Check their website.

It is what it is. You have outstanding academic standing, you will get rewards.

Get official information from website. Do not guess.
  • No open scholarship if you take less than 12 credits I think.
  • Thanks for the information guys! So I checked the website again and pretty sure I'm qualified for it. It says that as long as I have at least 30 credits in the past three semester I should be good right? Cause I only took 2 courses in summer semester but the course credits from last three semesters do add up to 30.

Another thing is when/how do you know you're getting the scholarship? Do they send you a email/letter for notification or it'll just show up on GoSFU under account balance?
  • Weir, how much money did you get each time? 
  • I used to get emails. I checked my old emails and It looks like I got notified on the third Thursday in September for the fall open scholarship. So maybe you will hear something this week ;)

Have they removed the "be enrolled in 12 credits" requirement? I don't see it on the site any more. Assuming so then yeah if you have been enrolled in 30 credits over the last 3 terms, have a CGPA >= 3.67, and a previous term GPA of >= 3.5 you should get it.

In terms of amount it varies. It was previously somewhere around $70 per credit (give or take 10/20 dollars).
  • Email notifies you. 70 to 110 CAD each credit. It depends on funds.

• Keep studying hard. I know some people who were excited about open scholarship when they only took introductory courses. So focus on your current semester. It will come when it should. Continuing thinking about your open scholarship for LAST semester does not help you. 

Leave a Comment