To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Macm 201 with Cedric Chauve?

edited August 2014 in General
Hey guys, so I'm just wondering if anyone's taking the same course and to ask those who have had if it's really that bad. saw some really bad ratings on rateyourprof so just want to get some input and decide if i should run before it's too late.

Comments

• I have not taken it with him. MACM 201 is a hard course for most people though. Generally it ends up getting scaled, and a lot of kids fail or squeak through.

I would recommend you take it sooner rather than later, especially if you need it as a prereq later and have done MACM 101 somewhat recently. Some people wait and take it really late in their degrees and by then they often haven't done any math in ages and since they are close to graduating feel less inclined to focus on a 200 level course.

In terms of teacher different people seem to teach it all of the time, and I think most people would be hard pressed to recommend a 'good' person to take it with. Regardless who the prof is it will likely be difficult.

I (along with many others) found the easiest part of 201 to be the graph theory sections. I did mediocre/poorly on most of the other sections, did well on graph theory, and was able to get through it with a B-. Lately there MACM 201 seems to also include some review of MACM 101 at the beginning which is why I think it is good to take it before you have forgotten everything from 101.
  • Take it next semester with Luis Goddyn. That's what I'm doing. I was planning to take it this semester along with Math232 but after seeing Chauve reviews I steered away

Leave a Comment