To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Distance Education

edited August 2014 in General
I am looking for some insight from anyone who has some experience with Distance Ed Courses. I am looking to take CMNS 130 or Pol 101W.

Just wondering if anyone has taken them and how they found the course load and material.

Thanks

Comments

• Cmns 130 is one of the easiest courses I've ever taken, I'd imagine the easiest W course at sfu. That being said, it is paying tuition only for credits. I don't think I actually gained anything from the course, it was just aggravating more than anything. The textbook might have been the worst thing I've ever read, and the course was solely based on the text. No instruction, just read the text and do the discussions and assignments.
  • edited August 2014
    I've taken POL 101 online and thought it was very poor. You have to study the course guide and textbook on your own for exams which consisted of an essay and multiple-choice questions. There were also two papers due. Everything was marked difficult for an intro course and many students filed a complaint at the end of the semester due to the fact that no student received a final mark higher than a B. 

If you want to take an online POL course I would recommend 151. I don't believe its offered in the Fall but should be in the spring. It consisted of 3 assignments. The first two assignments were two 500 word essay questions and the third assignment was a 1,000 word essay. Final exam consisted of three open ended essay questions. Quite easy and 100x more interesting than 101
  • Climbon, What types of assignments/exams were there? Was it very dry material? I thought it looked like it may be an interested class.  Thank you for your response.

Thank you also to Crimematic for your response. I will most certainly watch for 151 and avoid 101.

If anyone has any other recommendations to great Distance Ed courses I would appreciate it as I live in Northern BC and am doing all my coursework via Distance Ed right now. I am enrolled in the BA program. So any recommendations would be great as well as how the course load was.
  • edited August 2014
    Whats your major? If you interested in CRIM some good DE classes were CRIM 103, CRIM 104 and CRIM 230 (if you take/have taken CRIM 135). 

I would also recommend EDUC 100, EDUC 199 and EDUC 230 
  • If I remember correctly there were 3 essays and weekly discussions. Final exam at the end which was 3 hours of short essays. It might be worth looking at the textbook before enrolling. If you find the textbook interesting then that's what the course is so you'll find the course interesting. If you don't, don't bother.
  • im a MBB major in my 4th year and i took POL 101W and it was one of the worst classes I've taken.  part of this would be because i find politics really boring but the marking i found was very unreasonable.  it was one of my lowest grades and i had heard that some students had complained.  unless your a political science major i would avoid POL 101. some 100 level BPK courses are good for Distance education and they're relatively simple.  

Leave a Comment