To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Retroactive Withdrawal?

edited August 2014 in General
So I wanted to ask for advice regarding retroactive withdrawals. My situation is sort of complicated, so I'm going to leave my 'explanation' of how I got myself in this predicament until after I talk about my situation. I did IB in high school and did fine, although I was still going through things back then. I was forced to take a gap-term (I didn't start until spring), and when I did start, I failed a course and was put on academic probation. I decided to take 3 summer courses to try and make up for what I'd missed because I thought I'd be able to handle it... but I was wrong. I only ended up passing one of my classes, and now I'm 99.999% sure I'm going to be RTW. 

Now how the hell did I get in this situation? Well in high school, I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, anxiety and depression. Throughout high school I struggled with these, but I still was doing okay academically. I got my IB diploma and graduated, but at the time I wasn't medically stable enough to carry on to university. I got put in hospital, and as a consequence, I was forced to start university a term later than my peers. When I got out of hospital, I was doing really well. I started university in January, and I had above 80% in all of my classes. Until my relapse started, that is. That's how I failed my first course (I failed the second midterm and the final). So now it's summer term. I'm taking 3 courses, and still in the middle of a relapse (such a smart idea on my part). I wasn't doing great, but I was getting by, until my Nan died. I know grandparents aren't a big deal to a lot of people, but I lived with my Nan for nearly 10 years of my childhood; even after I moved out, I was at her house more than I was at my own. After she died, I couldn't keep up with everything. My physical and mental health had deteriorated farther than they ever have before. I never even thought about withdrawing under extenuating circumstances during all of this, because school was the last thing on my mind. And side note: the only reason why I didn't fail all three of my classes is because one of them was BPK 110, Nutrition, and I'm anorexic. I don't think I learned anything new in that course... I already knew almost as much as my nutritionist before I took that course, lol. Yeah. And now here we are today, a B- and 2 Fs later.

I felt the need to explain myself because I didn't want you all to think that I just party and don't care about school at all... I'm not like that. I studied a lot, but I retained nothing. I don't mean to treat this discussion board as my diary or anything, I'm just scared of getting judged.

Now, questions. 1. Would I qualify for a retroactive withdrawal? 2. How exactly does one go about applying for one? 3. Do you have to have a personal letter for a RW as you do for a WE? 4. Do you have any tips for writing a personal letter?

Thanks for taking the time to read this... I know it's been REALLY long. I apologize! 

Comments

• Look at the FAQ at:

http://www.sfu.ca/students/appeals/withdrawals/withdrawals-extenuating-faq.html

and then talk to someone in Student Services. You won't be the first person they have dealt with by any means...
  • Definitely talk with someone at client services. Explain them your history and they should point you in the right way. As Annie posted, maybe you could withdraw before the final marks are in.

Also, did you manage to find some friends? My experience is that it's hard in universities where everyone is so separated and taking their own classes. I still haven't really found any friends, except several acquittances which I met in some of my classes and we salute on hallway or spend a few minutes talking.
  • edited August 2014
    1. Would I qualify for a retroactive withdrawal?  Yes, under medical maybe compassion 

2. How exactly does one go about applying for one? Talk to Academic Advisor, book an appointment at Student Central (Maggie Benson) 

3. Do you have to have a personal letter for a RW as you do for a WE? Yes, because they want to know why, so tell them your story

4. Do you have any tips for writing a personal letter? Academic Advisor will tell you how, basically they want to know when it occurred, how it impacted your academics, how you plan to come back from this difficult situation, what your future plans are, how do you prevent relapse, etc.  They want to know YOU HAVE A PLAN in place.  Also it's important that you're getting supported either from going to see a doc/therapist/counselor/group therapy (part of relapse prevention)

Also the more documentations from doctors, medical professionals, and other people that attest you do in fact have some difficulties during the time, the higher chance you'll be approved.

Leave a Comment