To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Proposed increases to International Student Fees

edited August 2014 in General
As of now, international students pay per credit $595, which comes to $7,140 for a full course load (12 credits). It's a good price comparing it to UBC which is $9,588 (12 credits). Many students prefer SFU because of the price difference; however, SFU wants to increase its fees. Usually, it's a big increase that will make a big difference... I wonder if international students will end up transfering to other more affordable schools or pay a bit extra to go to UBC or Uvic? What do you think?

Comments

• Education is a business, imagine if sfu only allows international students to attend, that's a big profit .

• If you want to complain and whine, there's an SFSS event. Also for international students I think it's more about the name brand recognition; not that cost isn't a factor. 
  • I don't want to complaint nor whine. I'm asking for opinions. 
  • I think it makes sense that international students pay more. I imagine that their tuition is not subsidized by the government in the same way that domestic students tuition is. After this the school is offering a service, and I am sure they will try and price it at whatever the market will pay. The high tuition that international students pay goes a long way towards funding programs at the school.

Now will an increase in price lead to less international students? I imagine so, but I do not think there will be a lot less. For instance 10,000 CAD per semester is still less than many students in the US would pay for tuition. As well I imagine the majority of the students coming to Canada for school are getting more value out of it than just the education. Most people could get a comparable education in their home country if they wanted to. I would also be willing to bet that many international students are not personally paying for their tuition.

In the end I think any increase in revenue would make up for the international students lost to other schools.
  • I agree with you Ryan. I wonder if the increase would lead to a decrease in international students. Good points
  • international students are for profit. Compared to domestical students which I believe is suppose to break even. So I guess if international students are ok with paying the premium to come here, then I don't see why SFU shouldn't take advantage of it
  • ^^huehuehue because every other public and private institutions are doing it so let's follow the trend

Leave a Comment