To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Faculty of Criminology-admission average

edited December 2006 in General
My friend asks me what is the admission average(or what was the admission average) for school of criminology. If somebody knows, please reply.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Looks like the prerequisite is 2.25. Got the info here.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're looking for what the actual grades were of students entering the program?
  • edited December 2006
    My friend is in grade 12 right now and she is wandering what average she needs to get into school of criminology.
  • edited December 2006
    From that website I listed above:
    "Students are eligible to make application for admission to the School upon completion of 60 credit hours (equivalent to the first two years of the four-your Bachelor of Arts program) with CGPA not less than 2.25, including all lower division requirements for the Major as described below, with a final grade of C- or better in each of the non-elective requirements."

So it looks like she'll need to be accepted to the Faculty of Arts and then complete two years before applying to Criminology. Make sure you send her that page because they list the prerequisite courses on there that she'll need before she can be admitted.

I'd also suggest that she makes an appointment with an Undergraduate Adviser so she can be sure she's on the right track!
  • edited December 2006
    Keep in mind that the average gpa for admission is not always a tell-all if you are going to get in or not...they take a lot of factors into account definitely make an appt with an advisor they give aweseome advice for admission into crim or any faculty..call the crim faculty office their number should be in the sfu directory on www.sfu.ca
  • edited December 2006
    Thank you guys for all information!!! It'll help her alot!!! Thanks!
  • edited December 2006
    Basically, you have to take 60 credits of lower division courses only (100 and 200 level, a few electives but the great majority of them being Crim courses). After you complete the 60 and depending on your GPA, you may be accepted to the Criminology program and be considered a major (that is be enrolled in the School of Criminology).

It says 2.25, minimum but don't rely on that. I would say at least 2.5 if not somewhat higher. In any case, tell your friend to study hard.
  • edited December 2006
    I would tell your friend not to pursue a degree in Criminology unless he/she is training to be Batman.
  • edited December 2006
    coreyc said:
    I would tell your friend not to pursue a degree in Criminology unless he/she is training to be Batman.
    ??? why?
  • edited December 2006
    Batman studied other things too, like martial arts. And I don't think he actually got a degree. razz.gif

Leave a Comment