To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Picking a major

edited June 2014 in General
Hi guys!
I'm currently doing my BSc and i just needed some help picking out my major. So far I'm leaning towards majoring in Health Sciences (emphasis on life sciences) with a minor in MBB. However, i have been hearing a lot about how a major in Health Science is a bad idea. I don't understand why it is a bad idea. And if it is a bad idea then what is a better major?
Any tips?

Comments

• philosophy. best major.
  • edited July 2014
    yeap, do philosopy.
  • Hi hchandi,

It really depends on what you want to do after the degree. Do you want to go into public health or related field? Do you want to do lab research? Do you want to go to med school?

Best advice: talk to your TAs (from HSCI, MBB and other sciences) and ask them about their graduate work and if a health science degree is the way to go for your career goals. And of course ask your HSCI advisor - that's what their job is :)

Good luck!
  • You might want to have a look at "WHAT CAN I DO WITH A BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN
    HEALTH STUDIES/ SCIENCES?" from Uof M:

https://umanitoba.ca/faculties/human_ecology/media/IHP_Career_Sheet.pdf
  • Thanks for the advice guys!
    @mySFUtutor I'm thinking about med/pharmacy/dentistry/optometry still am a little confused with which one but its between these choices! so is HSCI more better or MBB. Or does it not matter at all cuz of the entrance exams that i ll have to write?

Note pre-reqs for these are the same anyways with 2 classes being different.
  • If you're planning on going to another school, then it probably doesn't matter as long as you get the credits you need. What I do recommend is that you look at all the courses that are offered for HSCI, BPK, and MBB (especially the upper division ones) and read the descriptions. Look at which courses interest you and are relevant to the career you want then see what department it is under. And you can take courses across departments too if that interests you.

For example, BPK is popular for pre-med students who are interested in physiology or sports medicine. HSCI is great if you want to look at health issues on a global scale or among different populations. MBB is recommended if you want to know the molecular details of the immune system, or how pharmaceutical drugs work.

HSCI isn't a bad choice, but it depends on the reason you take it. From what I've heard, some profs are frustrated of students who take HSCI (instead of MBB) because they think it's an "easy alternative" and easy way to get into med school. And then when there is any MBB-related material in a HSCI course, students complain. Honestly, anyone trying to take an easy way into med school shouldn't be a doctor in my mind :)

TL;DR
    Take what interests you as long as it's relevant to the career you want. Don't make decisions solely on what seems easy now, as med school won't be any easier. I think HSCI, BPK and MBB are all good options.

Hope that helps!

Leave a Comment