To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

repeating courses!?

edited June 2014 in General
Hey ya'll!

I'm in my last term of classes in Fall 2014, and had two repeats left so why not?
I did get C+ in a couple of classes so I was just wondering if I go up to a B or a B+, how much of an impact that would make on my cgpa?

Also which of the following are good repeating courses?
-Stats 201 with Xiaoqlong "Joan" Hu
-BISC 300 with Arne Mooers
-PHYS 102 with Jenifer Thewait

Thanks a bunch :D 

Comments

• It would have a minimal impact. By my math, if you finished on 120 credits, each course you upgraded from a C+ to an A+ would add (0.01667 * #credits) points to your CGPA. So for a 3 credit course you would add 0.05. Upgrading to a B+ would add half that.

Unless you are just shy of some CGPA you need for a graduate program I don't see any value in repeating courses in your final term. Just take what you need and graduate.
  • hmmm I went to the advisor and they said if I get a B+ in all three classes, I can boost my gpa from a 2.92 to a 3.01. I just like having the opportunity to graduate with a 3.0 rather than something in the 2s...if you know what i mean!
  • Well that is in line with what I said.

The increase from a C+ to an A+, divided by two so it is a C+ to a B+, times 3 credits, times 3 courses

[ (0.01667 / 2) * 3 ] * 3

= 0.075015.

2.92 + 0.075015 = 2.995

3.01 - 2.995 = 0.015.

What I think you should ask yourself is how likely do you think it is you will get a B+ average in these courses? And if you didn't get your CGPA over 3.0 in the end how disappointed would you be?

If you really want to hit 3.0, then go for it. If you are doing this for job purposes though I have generally found that experiences are more important on resumes than GPAs. If the 1500+ for the courses is worth it to you though then go for it.
  • I rather take new courses that I know for sure is interesting to me and I would work my butt off

Leave a Comment