To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Part time job doing insurance, need books!

edited January 2007 in General
This may not be the perfect forum to ask, but I'm thinking of doing an insurance course so I can get a part time job insuring cars next semester but I don't know where to get the books or write the test. Anyone help

Comments

• edited December 2006
    go to any ICBC branch and ask??
  • edited December 2006
    Almost missed this post, I actually just got into insurance recently...

There is a course called the fundamentals of insurance that you have to do before you can apply at an insurance office. Then there is three levels you can go through by doing courses: level 1, level 2, and level 3 agent. Thats actually one of the things I like about insurance, your pay and status are based on how much course work you do rather than luck

You can get the Fundamentals book from the dowtown office, take a look at the site here: www.ibabc.org (thats the insurance council of bc) they will have a lot more information there but if you have any questions i'll be happy to help, just shoot me a PM
  • edited January 2007
    Woah, I almost missed this post too. I have been thinking of getting my license for over 3 years now, but been procrastinating. I have very good friends who work in the insurance business. They tell me it's pretty fun and challenging. I have one friend who works as a road agent. So he would go to different car dealerships, sit in his office and play World of Warcraft all day until a customer comes in. Then 15 minutes after, he would continue playing. I have another friend who does house calls. He drives around to people's houses and work place to help insure their cars. They seem to enjoy what they are doing.

Also remember, everyone NEEDS insurance when driving. And practically everyone drives. So business wont go down. Also hopefully every year you have been in the business, you will double your clientèle list. New and repeating customers.
  • edited January 2007
    just dont do that whole inslink financial group thing (ifg) total bull!
  • edited January 2007
    Rock on! I picked up the book yesterday from, ironically, the SFU harbor center campus. Its a really big book haha but it doesn't seem too complicated, just really boring. I'm gonna try reading it then I have to write a test called the "fundamentals of insurance exam" as per SR. above. So we'll see how that goes!

Leave a Comment