To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Greg Baker for 165?

edited April 2014 in General
Im taking 165 DE with Greg Baker in this summer, however i've heard comments about Greg Baker is not a good prof at all, so should i not take it with him?  
PS: I've taken CMPT 130 and IAT 100 so i think i kinda have some background knowledge for programming and CSS
Advice please? Thanks~

Comments

• Well first off it doesn't matter who the prof is for an online class. At most they will be the person who prepares the assignments/notes and might oversee your exams. You will hardly get any real face time with them, and assignments will be marked by TMs. In the case of CMPT 165 Greg wrote the course guide, so no matter who you take it with the course will be the same.

Secondly, Greg is awesome.

Lastly if you have done CMPT 130 you should have no problem with 165. The majority of people who dislike 165 (and by association whoever's name is next to it in the course catalog) are people who took it thinking it was going to be an easy A even though they have no programming experience and aren't actually all that interested in learning the stuff in the first place. In particular they limp through the course and then just loose it in the last two weeks where you are asked to write a simple python function to simulate a dice.

<em>CMPT 165 can be summarized for anyone like this:
    If you have web programming experience it is super easy. If you have other programming experience it is easy. If you have no experience but are interested in learning you will work hard, learn a lot of valuable stuff, and get out with a decent mark. If you have no experience and just think it will be easy you will have a bad time.</em>
  • Thanks bro !
  • I confirm, Greg Baker is awesome!
  • Worst prof I've had at SFU. Went from an A in in CMPT 101 to a D in CMPT 165. I will never, ever have anything nice to say about this prof. He was not helpful at all, and the course reader (second half of the class) was horrid. Just my experience, but just sayin'....

Like someone mentioned above, it was Python that was killing me... I was doing really well in the course until Python, and bombed the final exam/final quarter of classwork.

Leave a Comment