To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Physics 100 without Physics 11

edited April 2014 in General
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to take Physics 100 without having taken Physics 11, as the course description says it is recommended. I know I can probably enrol in it just fine, I'm just wondering if it would completely kill me and my GPA.

Thanks!!

Comments

• 100 is an introductory course. I took Bio 100 with absolutely no prior bio experience and the course was very welcoming and really started from scratch.

Physics 120 and above are continuing Physics 12 so I assume Physics 100 is essentially Physics 12 in high school which I took as a part of IB Physics. It is not essential to learn Physics 11 when learning Physics 12 as many concepts are relearned as basic knowledge. As a 100 course the marking and overall difficulty will be lower. If you are willing to put in work you will probably follow along fine. Physics 11 is very basic stuff - the majority of the course is designed for you to be accustomed to physics, not learning new concepts. 
  • you'll be fine..physics 11 is a joke compared to uni physics..they start from scratch so you'll be in the same boat as everyone else..
  • As someone who took physics 100 without doing any physics for almost 6 years (since grade 10... so forgot everything to do with physics), this class isn't that bad.  Pay attention to class, do all the homework and you should do just fine.

Leave a Comment