To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

CMPT 475 instead of CMPT 373?

edited April 2014 in General
Has anyone done this? I'm in Software Systems but 373 is only offered in the fall (along with a bunch of other required courses only offered in the fall yay) and apparently you can't take both for credit - so I'm wondering if anyone has been able to substitute 373 with 475? I've submitted an appeal but those take forever to get assessed apparently...

also the amount of seats they've got for the limited upper division cmpt courses is a joke, almost everything is closed/wait listed/not offered - and some of them have scheduling conflicts too, fun stuff.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    I'm pretty sure software systems students can't (and shouldn't) take cmpt 475. If you take 475, your only hope is to appeal it and find a workaround. I have no idea if they end up allowing it or not. The problem you might have is taking cmpt 473, since it specifically requires cmpt 373. They definitely want to keep the 275-475 route and 276-373-473 route different.

The course offering for software systems is fucking annoying as hell :/ everything is offered in a specific term during the year. I couldn't take cmpt 276 for that reason alone, but I was able to use cmpt 275 instead. For newer students, even cmpt 275 requires appealing
  • While you might be able take 475 instead, I wouldn't.

CMPT 373 with Shermer was easily the best course I ever took at sfu. In comparison people I talked to who took 475 found it mediocre at best.

The amount of stuff you will learn in 373 and the experience you will gain will make it well worth waiting for. In the meantime there should be other courses you can take, be them upper division computing or electives.
  • iStudent-
    I took 275 as well (no idea they have to appeal that now too - pity), so im hoping if they allow me to do 475 instead of 373 i would still be able to take 473- it does sound backwards. although i understand what you mean by them wanting us to stick to the routes because it does make sense but as mentioned its just very annoying with the course offerings. i still haven't gotten a response from the director or whoever is in charge of the appeals...

ryan-
    My main reason for wanting to switch it is so that i can have one less course to worry about come fall - and also since there's not too much offered in the summer (im only enrolled in one other course - one course for the whole semester?! what a waste), i figure if i can, why not get it over with now (if they allow it). also there are literally no other upper division computing courses i can take next semester, and ive heard upper division electives are waitlisted/closed as well but i need to look into it myself - thanks!
  • Yeah I understand the situation you are in. I will say though that if you can find anything else to take, I would do it and take 373. I don't think you will get nearly as much value from 475.
  • Yea course offerings really do suck for sosy students right now :/
  • Thanks for all the input guys - incidentally my appeal got denied so i cant take 475 in any case, 373 in the fall it is. Wish they would've hurried up with the appeal, I already ended up getting pushed from the waitlist and got enrolled in 475, and if i cant find another class to swap with i get to pay them money to drop it :|

However i did want to ask - what would your opinion be on taking cmpt 477 as an intersession course? would it be too much? eugenia is teaching it in the summer.
  • I hear it is quite the mathy course. If you are into that kind of thing and have the time to devote to it then go for it. If you are not and are just looking for something to take I would pass.
  • Ah, thanks for the info! In that case I won't bother pursuing it.

Leave a Comment