To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

distance education questions

edited December 2006 in General
so i registered for a distance education course for spring semester(CMPT 165) and i was just wondering what exactly i need to do. from what i know, i have to go to the distance education office and pick up course materials and buy the books for it. is that all? also, on the course information for CMPT 165, i only see optional textbooks and no required textbooks. are the required textbooks provided in the course materials?

thanks for anybody that can answer my questions :angel:

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Here is the Centre for Online and Distance Education website.

Looks like most of the course materials are ready for pick up at Room 1392, Lohn Building, West Mall Complex (Burnaby Campus).

I'm taking my first online course next semester as well so I'm just figuring things out too! I would suggest getting the course materials and seeing if there are any textbooks mentioned there. Otherwise just email the prof/tutor marker and ask them.
  • edited December 2006
    Hey i'm taking CMPT 165 dist.ed too. i just picked up my stuff today.
    yeah so you can go and pick up your package in the West Mall Complex (2 floors down from the "main" floor).

in the package it includes 2 texts already ("How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" and "Introduction to Multimedia and the Internet")

if you want, you can buy the recommended texts from the bookstore. i got 2 out of the 4 recommended texts (the books about the internet, and web programming because i don't really know much about those).
    but it's up to you whether you want to buy it or not, i don't think it's necessary if you have some knowledge of web design already.

but anyway, yeah hope to talk to you or something, i don't know anyone else in CMPT 165 dist.ed!
  • edited December 2006
    thanks! that really clarifies things for me now. and yes meesh, maybe we can help each other considering that we're both in the distance ed for 165 haha. im assuming its a dead easy course from what ive heard.

Leave a Comment