To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU #13 on BEST OVERALL UNIVERSITY

edited December 2006 in General
For undergrad studies, does it really matter where you go for university? I'm planning to go into the Education faculty at SFU after I finish my Bachelors of Science. But then.. today, I took a look at the Macleans issue of University Rankings for 2006.

Best Overall:
1. Alberta
2. Waterloo
3. McGill
4. UBC
5. Toronto
13. Simon Fraser

Highest Quality:
1. McGill
2. Queen's
3. Waterloo
4. Toronto
5. Alberta
13. Simon Fraser

Most Innovative:
1. Waterloo
2. McMaster
3. Alberta
4. UBC
5. McGill
10. Simon Fraser

Leaders of Tomorrow:
1. Alberta
2. Waterloo
3. McGill
4. UBC
5. Toronto
14. Simon Fraser

Not like I don't have "school pride" but really... Why is Simon Fraser so bad?!?!
I'm so worried right now. I'm planning to transfer to UBC now. But is it necessary? Does it really matter which university you attend? How hard is it to transfer? Does anyone know the GPA roughly?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    You shouldn't go changing your life over an article in Mcleans Magazine...

You'll need to decide if their ranking system even incorporates the resources, innovation, etc. that you will be needing to complete your degree. For example, I know that people go to UBC specifically for their nursing program. Is one school better than another for your BSci? What was their ranking criteria? Some things like "leaders of tomorrow" is pretty vague!

Additionally, is a future employer going to have the magazine out while reviewing your application, saying "oh gee, she only went to the 13th best school in Canada"

Will someone from one of those schools be any more qualified than you will be? Probably no.

I'm not trying to talk you out of switching schools but I sure hope you have many more reasons that a magazine article...
  • edited December 2006
    That's why I was wondering.. that because I am planning to take Education..

I'm trying to figure out which is better for Education. Is it worth it to transfer to UBC just for education?

Because I know.. it probably doesn't matter how much to secondary schools. They probably won't be that picky.

But the thing is, I change my mind very often. =/ I wanted to be a nurse before but now a teacher. Teaching is only a thought, I'm still not even sure if I wanna do that.

That's why I want to go to UBC. Because it keeps my options open because even if I don't go into Education, UBC would have better programs than SFU anyways right?
  • edited December 2006
    like Malakaii said, just because Maclean's says SFU is 13th in rankings, doesn't mean it's reliable. there has to be a lot of things to be taking into consideration. All those universities ahead of SFU are large universities, mainly based on research. it doesn't mean the quality of teaching at SFU is that much worse, or that a program is much less respectable.

SFU is mid-size university, probably half the size of what UBC is. true, we don't get recognized as much as they do, for reasons that can be argued, but i believe the funding for research (especially in the sciences) for universities like UBC and McGill shoot them to the top...
    i have many friends at UBC who feel as though their profs and TAs don't care about them--they're hard to reach, and the students are often feeling left in the dark when it comes to actual learning. I don't know about you, but here at sfu, i can often find my TA and prof for consultations and help, either in person or through email. sfu has often been ranked at the top for quality of teaching, and i, for one, am in support of that.

as for being successful after graduating from a program, i don't think employers care much about how reputable your school is...and though it may look good, they also take into consideration about WHO you are as a person...and i think what matters most is what you make of your degree. you can just barely pass and obtain it...or you can work hard, test your capacity, and SHOW them what you've done...that's all it really comes down to.

*sigh* i wish SFU wouldn't have such an inferiority complex.

Maclean's has also been getting a lot of criticisms for its university rankings lately. i guess it's up to you if you want to use it as a guide, but i hope you will make your own decision based on what you feel fits YOUR need the most.
  • edited December 2006
    if u so want to go to UBC that badly, why SFU in the first place? you should have go to college
  • edited December 2006
    It changes every year..Don't be so worried about it. Just go to the school that suit your needs best..

And on a side note.. you should check out the satisfaction rating for UBC.. its not very good for first and second years.. I personally think that is a very important point to consider.
  • edited December 2006
    SFU has one of the best programs for Education in Canada. The PDP program is unique and highly esteemed. That's what I am going into, and I looked at lots of other schools before choosing SFU.

Also, if you really don't know what you want to do, I would HIGHLY suggest doing some volunteer work in the areas you are considering. It would be really shitty to go to school for 5 years, spend $20,000 and then realize that you've chosen the wrong career...

Vancouver School Board can set you up with classroom volunteer experience at the level you'd like to teach.

And check out the Children's Hospital or another Hospital to try volunteering there with the patients.

If you still don't know, take a year off and get your head straight. That's what I did and I am SO grateful for the clear mind it's given me. Now I have a destination and I know what I have to do to get there.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” - Lewis Carroll
  • edited December 2006
    Hey Tinana, good post. I have that copy of McLean's sitting here as well and wasn't too surprised at SFU's rankings. I agree with what Meesh said above...your success in life isn't based on which school you attend for your undergrad, but more about how much you've developed as a person and what you have to show for it. In my opinion, UBC is overrated and SFU's strengths will show over time.
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    SFU has one of the best programs for Education in Canada. The PDP program is unique and highly esteemed. That's what I am going into, and I looked at lots of other schools before choosing SFU.

Also, if you really don't know what you want to do, I would HIGHLY suggest doing some volunteer work in the areas you are considering. It would be really shitty to go to school for 5 years, spend $20,000 and then realize that you've chosen the wrong career...

Vancouver School Board can set you up with classroom volunteer experience at the level you'd like to teach.

And check out the Children's Hospital or another Hospital to try volunteering there with the patients.

If you still don't know, take a year off and get your head straight. That's what I did and I am SO grateful for the clear mind it's given me. Now I have a destination and I know what I have to do to get there.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” - Lewis Carroll

Yeah, I've already signed up for some volunteer work at a couple elementary schools and some clubs for children. I've also taught piano for 2 yrs.. Although it's a bit different from teaching high school or elementary, I think it has helped me figured out my interests.

And about SFU having the best education program in Canada, I didn't know that so thanks for letting me know. I tried searching the internet but I couldn't find anything about how good it is.

Well the thing is, it's not like I'm gonna be just wasting $20,000 or something. I already know that Chem and Math are my interests. PDP is only one year after the Bachelors degree. So, I figure that even if I don't want to become a teacher, I might want to go to grad school or something.

One of the reasons why I considered going into Education is because I have no idea what I can do with a Bachelors of Science.... other than work in research or become a scientist. :tongue:

Besides, this is only my first year at SFU. I'm just gonna let things flow. Just work hard and if I get into UBC, then I'll go. But if not, I think SFU is fine too.

But yeah , thanks for the advice and everything. I'm really going to consider what you said and think it all through. :)

Are you planning to go into Elementary or High School program?
  • edited December 2006
    good luck tinana! hope you figure out what you want to do, but don't rush things :) take it easy :)
  • edited December 2006
    meesh said:
    like Malakaii said, just because Maclean's says SFU is 13th in rankings, doesn't mean it's reliable. there has to be a lot of things to be taking into consideration. All those universities ahead of SFU are large universities, mainly based on research. it doesn't mean the quality of teaching at SFU is that much worse, or that a program is much less respectable.

SFU is mid-size university, probably half the size of what UBC is. true, we don't get recognized as much as they do, for reasons that can be argued, but i believe the funding for research (especially in the sciences) for universities like UBC and McGill shoot them to the top...
    i have many friends at UBC who feel as though their profs and TAs don't care about them--they're hard to reach, and the students are often feeling left in the dark when it comes to actual learning. I don't know about you, but here at sfu, i can often find my TA and prof for consultations and help, either in person or through email. sfu has often been ranked at the top for quality of teaching, and i, for one, am in support of that.

as for being successful after graduating from a program, i don't think employers care much about how reputable your school is...and though it may look good, they also take into consideration about WHO you are as a person...and i think what matters most is what you make of your degree. you can just barely pass and obtain it...or you can work hard, test your capacity, and SHOW them what you've done...that's all it really comes down to.

*sigh* i wish SFU wouldn't have such an inferiority complex.

Maclean's has also been getting a lot of criticisms for its university rankings lately. i guess it's up to you if you want to use it as a guide, but i hope you will make your own decision based on what you feel fits YOUR need the most.

Thanks for pointing that out Meesh.
    Yeah, I've thought it through. My TA's are very helpful here. Smaller classes is also much better. I mean, my biggest lecture is about 400 ppl right now and I can barely concentrate with ppl talking and stuff. So, if UBC is bigger, I'd probably have a hard time.

"as for being successful after graduating from a program, i don't think employers care much about how reputable your school is...and though it may look good, they also take into consideration about WHO you are as a person...and i think what matters most is what you make of your degree. you can just barely pass and obtain it...or you can work hard, test your capacity, and SHOW them what you've done...that's all it really comes down to."

This pretty much changed my views. :)
    Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    :)

I feel a lot better. I don't know. After reading that magazine, I pretty much freaked out without considering any of the things you all have mentioned.
    Even ratings are higher for UBC, I think I"ll have a better experience at SFU anyways.

But yeah, although I haven't made up my mind yet, I'll think about all you guys said! :D Thanks! You guys are awesome.

PLUS, I love TALKSFU. Hahaha. I don't think UBC has one. You guys are so helpful!
  • edited December 2006
    Tinana said:
    Are you planning to go into Elementary or High School program?
    I'm going into the Elementary program. You don't need to have a degree, but you can get a Bachelor of Education as you go. I'm hoping to be done in 2009!

And good luck! I know it's really overwhelming. Best thing I can say is do whatever makes you happy!
  • edited December 2006
    i'm glad we were of help!!! anything for a fellow SFUer.

and malakaii, you seem like you would be such a great teacher--sharing your wisdom with all! i wish you the best with your program!!
  • edited December 2006
    meesh said:
    i'm glad we were of help!!! anything for a fellow SFUer.

and malakaii, you seem like you would be such a great teacher--sharing your wisdom with all! i wish you the best with your program!!
    Thanks Meesh! aww.gif
  • edited December 2006
    I'm surprised that SFU has a 13th place status in Canada. SFU seems kinda shitty .. but then again, there aren't many schools in Canada.

Leave a Comment