To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Stuck in the "friend zone"

edited December 2006 in General
Just a stupid thing, I really like this girl who I have been good friends with for a whole term now, but I fear making a move as it might destroy our whole freindship:sad:

Basically I was hoping for advice on how to go about moving on further with this girl, and whether others have had it turn out better or worse for them after dating good friends :smile:

Comments

• edited December 2006
    it's not stupid, because it's life...and i've been (and still am) in the situation before.
    in my case, i've yet to do anything about it...but i'm in love, and it's hard to be around someone who doesn't feel the same way.

do you know how strong you feel about her? i know that when im away from somebody, and i miss them so much that i can't stop thinking about them, i think that's love.

do you know if she has any interests? does she ever talk to you about relationships? sometimes i'd take that as a sign (depending on how deep you guys talk about it).

i wish i had advice on what to do, but i don't...so i guess we can suffer together!

but a few of my friends dated each other after developing a close friendship. it didn't work out, but they still keep in contact and i don't see any signs of it changing. it's all about communication in my opinion. knowing what she wants, and telling her what you want. but that's easier said than done...

bah. love. i hate it when it pokes and prods my soft spots, im never like this! ahha
  • edited December 2006
    I've been in this exact same situation a few times!

I found that the best thing to do is to tell the person how you feel and have a discussion about it. If they are unwilling to talk about it with you, then it wouldn't work as a relationship anyway!

I did this twice with friends of mine. The first was at the end of highschool and the other was a few years after. Both of them decided not to risk the friendship, and I'm friends with them to this day! You definitely have to be ready to be turned down... just in case!

Good luck. :teeth:
  • edited December 2006
    the dreaded friend zone

ya just try to talk it out see wher it leads :)

some ppl would rather just keep quiet about it, why torment urself, it just makes things uncomfortable
  • edited December 2006
    man..im in the exact situation as u...im been interested in this girl for bout 2 months now...and nothing happened yet..sigh i think im in the friend zone already -_-
  • edited December 2006
    It's such an easy place for people to end up in...

-You like the person, but you don't want to just ask them out without getting to know them.
    -You get to know them and they get to know you.
    -You like spending time with them, so you are together more often.
    -Next thing you know, they're telling people what a good friend you are.

Then you can either risk the friendship, or try to hide your feelings for years...
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:

-You like the person, but you don't want to just ask them out without getting to know them.

Then you can either risk the friendship, or try to hide your feelings for years...
    ugh, that's exactly what happens.

what's worse is when they're confiding to you about another love interest...and all you can do is listen because you are the good friend...

knife + heart = stab wound to the heart.
  • edited December 2006
    i feel your pain bro
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:

Nailed it on the button.

Just ask yourself, if he/she moves away all of a sudden, to say, Ontario, would you be stuck asking yourself what could've been? I know I would, so I asked my friend and got shot down. But, we're still good friends. Even though shes on Eastern Standard Time...
  • edited December 2006
    stuck in friend zone haha.. suck for you..

It sucks doesn't it? I know how you feel man :sad:
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    whenever i meet someone new and is attracted to them i find it's better not to be too close to them. then you can't fall into the friendship zone and you have enough space to progress into a relationship.

basically, if you're too close of friends with someone they can't use a bullshit "let's just stay friends" excuse, cuz two weren't that close anyway and there won't be a greater risk of ruining a friendship

hope you understand what i'm trying to say here

Leave a Comment