To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

calculus prereqs

edited December 2006 in General
i'm wondering about Calculus prerequisites for Chemistry + Biology courses.

i know Math 154 is more focused on Biological and Medical calculus, but will it suffice if i'm taking Chem 121 (and planning on continuing to 126 + 200-level courses later)? or is Math 151 a better choice? or do they both teach relatively the same material?

i was also reading that Physics 101 is recommended for the class...but do you think it's manageable without it (i can't seem to do physics...)

i already have Math 157 under my belt--which i did well in (could've done better if i had tried harder), but i think Math 157 feigns in comparison to the more scientific-oriented calculus...

what do you guys think? will Math 154 be enough to get through the Chem courses?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    yes.

both math 154 and 155 will get you through chem 121 and 122. However, if you're planning on really going in depth with chemistry, such as majoring in it, it is recommended that you take math 151 and 152 instead.
  • edited December 2006
    nah no major. just wanting to explore the basics really.
  • edited December 2006
    You could probably get away with 154/155 when going into 232 and 251 (which is all the chemistry major needs - just two years' worth of math) but I have no idea as to what 151/152 add in that 154/155 don't. (I did 151/152, or rather their equivalents at Langara :) )

Leave a Comment