To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Promiscuos society

edited December 2006 in General
Hey guyz....U know what? I'm having an ISSUE with music and other media that SCREAMS SEX. yah yah sex sells BUT what social impact does it all have on us the youth, how we see ourselves and others, how we view the opposite sex, and the relationships we form?

"Shake that ass, girl", "back that thing up" "I'm in love with a stripper", "girl that ass so fat" "ooh i luv making luv 2 u" etc etc. Music is a powerful medium of communication, and since we growing up in a fatherless, parentless society, the media has become the new parent, telling us what 2 do, how 2 do it, and SADLY, TRAGICALLY its giving us bad messages which are contributing to teenage pregnancies, HIV/AIDS, and a general breakdown of morality.

We begin 2 think about everything from a sexual point of view eg: when hooking up, the way we dress etc, the things we talk about....GUYS ISN'T THERE SOMETHING A BIT OFF ABOUT THAT?!

The media does however promote good values eg: Heartlines, but not enough, I feel. And thats a shame cuz it can really be used 2 build up society.

guys what u think? do u agree with me or am i just imagining things?..

Comments

• edited December 2006
    i was actually thinking about the same thing the other day.

i was just travelling from durban to pmb and all i could see is naked ladiez here and naked there, turn on the radio " iwewe, sika lekhekhe" and "ofun' ukuheva ( doc shebeleza)".

what are we teaching the kids by all those things cause all these guys are suppose to be role models for these kids.

all i can see is exploitation from both sides artists and the media , advertising companies use ladies, where do you think ladies should be advertising cars only having a bra and a bikiny.... what kind of a sales lady is that.

what i think is its all about money now, you sell your body because of money, guys will pay to see you naked and turning them on.

i wish that maybe the ladies will drill this into their minds "They need to have a value"... what is being a lady all about, i've been raised knowing to believe that it's all about respecting and worshipping

well there's only one thing that i can say it's all too late now but never give up hope.

well i just hold amy hands and save the few that i can save from this madness media saga lol

we just have to make sure that we don't think with our head facing on one direction (Money) , even Jesus was sold and before that people died because of money.

That' the way it is.

Peace out.
  • edited December 2006
    I volunteer with girls who are at the prime age start being affected by the media's portrayal of women (9-11 year olds).

While I'm not a fan of what the media is doing... they are providing to a waiting audience. It IS all about money, and sex is what people will pay to see.

The difference is in how we teach our children to take in that information. Girls with high self-esteem are not going to degrade themselves for money. And boys who have been taught to respect themselves and women won't be sliding bills into a stripper's g-string.

If we can focus on making kids impermeable to these messages, in a few years the media won't have an audience for this trash...
  • edited December 2006
    i don't think our society is promiscuous.. it's more like an lifestyle that individuals choose to take up on.. a personal choice.. music may have some partial influence but then again it should be evident that such music shouldn't be taken seriously anyway... and for those who do they should really re-think what the music business is about.. and that most of the things it portrays are nothing but a mirage..

ultimately it is up to the individual to decide what is more important to them and where their values lie..
  • edited December 2006
    siuying said:
    ultimately it is up to the individual to decide what is more important to them and where their values lie..
    nod.gif Definitely. Well said!
  • edited December 2006
    Sure the media is exploiting the youth of this generation, but unfortunately...thats their job. They are trained to find weaknesses to be profited from and today, thats the influential minds of the 10-20 year olds. Although I don't think the problem is as bad as it once was, there is still a lot of sex, drugs, and scantily clad women on tv these days. It's almost impossible to watch Tv with your family around anymore...and its not as easy as leaving it "up to the individual." While we may be mature enough to think and act in a morally correct way, a lot of people still haven't learned to do that and those are the ones that are most affected by messages that sex is ok and that its better to enjoy life now and worry about the consequences later...

Leave a Comment