To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

smokers?

edited December 2006 in General
Are any of you on talksfu smokers?

i'm a smoker, and i really, really want to quit...

people keep giving me pains about how i'm killing myself, and i know that...but from my upbringing, everyone around me smoked...my family, my siblings, everyone...it was hard to get away from it.
i've tried to quit. and it did a toll on my body...for a weekend i could barely get out of bed. i couldn't do anything else but sleep. i couldn't do my schoolwork.

now that the holiday is coming around, i want to give it another shot. i actually have time to let my body adjust itself...
it'd be easier if someone else is going through the same thing?

....i want to be healthier!!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    actually i been smokin for 2 years but not heavy jus a few a day, it took me a while to quit cuz i kept trying to totally cut it out but after like a couple weeks id be back at it, but i can finally say im almost there.. once in a while like after an exam i crave one but i think its ok for now and eventually i will even stop that.. i mean its a huge improvement.. u jus gotta take lil steps like cut back a smoke every couple days.. and gradually over a month u should be have cut down quite drastically and even eliminated it completely.. this way u are actually attacking the habit instead of torturing urself i mean u cant jus take it all away from once its too much to handle

plus keep urself busy like go to gym or find a hobby to keep ur mind off of it (i actually picked up baking... there was a good supply of cupcakes around for a while lol)

good luck!
  • edited December 2006
    yeah i smoke... started like a month ago, haha. quitting on thursday. never really had a craving so shouldn't be too difficult since I just started, but time will tell.
  • edited December 2006
    ahh quit while you can. i've been smoking for just about 2 and a half years.

the cravings suck.
  • edited December 2006
    There is medication that you can take to help you kick the habit. I would recommend going to your doctor (or the docs at SFU... they are AWESOME) and asking them what you can do to quit!
  • edited December 2006
    there are docs at sfu?? and im not a smoker but ill have the occasionally cigar (yay for being a pilot lol)
  • edited December 2006
    There are doctors in the Health and Counselling Centre, which is in the bottom floor of the Maggie Benson Centre (one floor beneath the bookstore's buyback counter)

The services there are free for students, including both the medical doctors and the counsellors. I've seen a few different docs there and I was really impressed! They aren't like regular clinic doctors who just give you a prescription and send you out the door, they really take a lot of time to get you fixed up right. I've been incorrectly medicated by clinic doctors before, so I'm really happy to find a place that does good work!

And the counsellors are awesome there too. The lady that I see has helped me out immensely and it's nice to have someone to vent to who knows a lot of stuff!

Plus your student fees pay for these services, so you'd might as well use them!
  • edited December 2006
    I've heard about a Free Legal Clinic where is that one, the same place as the Health and Counselling Centre?
  • edited December 2006
    I don't know about the Legal Clinic. I think it has to do with the Simon Fraser Student Society...
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, the doctors in the HCCC are good, except the counsellors arn't doctors (PhD holders) and, in my experience in the past people with this kind of experience are better counsellors, I think I'll stick to my counsellor back home even though it costs money, so if you have a regular counsellor you go to I would recommend sticking unless you're really desperate for the cash.

Oh, and about the smoking, I occasionally have a mini cigar and it helps you relax, really reduces stress during exams.
  • edited December 2006
    You're right, the counsellors aren't doctors, and if you need more than a little guidance you're probably better to stick to someone with a doctorate. Thanks for pointing that out! :smile:
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, no problem, I thought it was worth pointing out. I do notice a huge difference between the counsellors here and my councellor back home (who actually got her BA, here, at SFU). It is a good thing to do, go to a doctor.
  • edited December 2006
    i'm not a smoker but most of my high school friends started smoking in their grad year.. it was sad to see them that way.. the guys started because they thought it was cool.. and the girls started because it help them lose fat... pathetic reasons don't you think? i never got what went thru their minds... it just pains me everytime to see lit up one.. and i would tell them everytime to quit smoking.. but well.. none of them has so far.. =\

so meesh.. i'm really happy you took the initiative to try and quit.. =) unlike my friends.. they just say they can't quit yet i've never seen them trying.. just like noobie said.. take it easy and lil steps to do it.. it'll probably turn out to be the best christmas present you'll get this year..=)
  • edited December 2006
    Actually I used to smoke quite a bit when I first started at SFU. After I'd have a few drinks, my friends would give me a cig and it just felt so good being buzzed and having a smoke. But after a while it turned into a habit which went on for about a year or so without me ever realizing that I had become a "smoker" But I don't smoke anymore.

If you want to quit, first you have to admit that you are a regular smoker and that you wanna do something about it. After that, just start cutting back little by little like noobie said earlier. Replace the time you spent smoking doing something else like...grab a coffee instead, or pick up your cell phone and call a friend...or get addicted to talksfu like me hehe. I realized that smoking cigs is really bad for my health in the long run when I started playing sports agian and couldnt breath. Ironically, I still smoke weed "occasionally" :teeth: so thats next on my list to quit. good luck, peace
  • edited December 2006
    gotta love that sig tho :D
  • edited December 2006
    thanks everyone for the support!
    some of my friends are quite skeptical whether i'm able to quit, and they're not supporting me all too much, which kinda sucks.

hopefully, i'll prove them wrong!!!!
  • edited December 2006
    Hey Meesh! Hopefully your quit-smoking plans are going well. I found a useful website that may help you out.

How to Become and Unusually Happy Non-Smoker

Cheers!
  • edited December 2006
    thanks malakaii! it's got some good tips in there!
    i'm doing ok so far. i'm down to about 3 cigs a day...christmas day i didn't have any :)

i'm slowly, but steadily reducing my intake, and the cravings aren't too bad anymore :) i'm still functioning!!!

and finally i'm going to go snowboarding for a few days-- something athletic for once! yay!
  • edited December 2006
    Good for you! Even cutting back can make a big difference for your health. And you'll need that extra lung capacity for snowboarding!
  • edited December 2006
    does the clinic hand out condoms as well.

oh and the chronic/weed/dope/ganja and sheesha/hookah + alcohol ain't good either. go get checked out after the holiday partying. some heavy detox haha.
  • edited December 2006
    Condoms AND lube. :wink:

Condoms are on the table of the waiting room. Feel free to walk in and grab a handful, I've seen lots of people doing that. The lube was in the little room where you talk to the doctor. But they'll probably give you some if you ask.
  • edited December 2006
    i hear a few that says "it's all in the head" and some "that is a load of crap"... and honestly, it really is all in the head, from experience.

I was never a smoker and I may have done it for all the wrong reasons, but when I always thought of wanting to smoke, I went and grabbed myself a cup of coffee from Starbucks.

I may have smoked for a month or two, but since then I haven't smoked and I've said no to a few friends who asked me to. The worse part is I think I got my friend into smoking. (not a hardcore smoker, but occassionally would). =/

Leave a Comment