To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Xmas/Holiday Traditions?

edited December 2006 in General
Hey guys,

Just wondering what your xmas/holiday traditions are around your house? My mom is not feeling the spirit this year and isn't putting up a tree (my 21 year old bro is pissed about that!). And my aunt usually cooks the turkey, but she's on strike cuz she's sick of cooking for everyone (I really can't blame her, I would've packed it in years ago!).

Anyway, I have a cousin (she's 11) and my brother who both REALLY look forward to Christmas day. We aren't religious, but they like the festivities and the family time. I just like to see my family and treat them to some thoughtful gifts.

So we're stumped on what to do this year. It's turning into a segregated thing where my mom will cook, but only for some of us, thereby splitting up our family (lame).

What does your family do? Any suggestions for me? I want to try to save the day for my bro and cousin. Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    aww you should put up a little tree or even just stockings on their room door handles if u dont have a fireplace. My family is very traditional so every year since we were kids my parents put stuff into our stockings. You can also play christmas music but only around the day itself cuz christmas music can be :S annoying. Or you can get ur cousin one of those chocolate christmas calendar!
  • edited December 2006
    We usually go ice skating during the holidays...its something that everyone can do together and then we get hot chocolate after ahhh good times
  • edited December 2006
    haha i used to eat those chocolate calendar, lol good times
  • edited December 2006
    I used to eat them ahead of time cuz I couldn't wait... :wink: Now the chocolate just tastes gross... hehe

Thanks for the ideas so far! I'm taking them back to my family...
  • edited December 2006
    we drive around and check out decorated houses around town.. and if the owner lets us.. we take pictures..=)
  • edited December 2006
    Currently the plan is a BBQ at my aunt's house. I've offered to bring some food too so she doesn't have to do it all. I'm going to work with my cousin next week to come up with some fun activities for everyone too.

My mom's still being a grinch and is making a turkey just for her and her boyfriend (pfft!)
  • edited December 2006
    nothin like a good ol game of twister
  • edited December 2006
    i love christmas so we've had our tree up for about 3 weeks already, my family always builds a gingerbread house(usually from a kit), and we usually go to a movie or something together during the holidays

Leave a Comment