To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Tips on buying books

edited December 2006 in Buy & Sell
for all the newcomers to sfu, don't forget to check out quadbooks before going to the sfu bookstore to buy your books

if they have your book, chances are its going to be WAY cheaper than the used bookstore prices. each book is individually priced based on its condition. (they almost ALWAYS have the psych 100 level textbook)

the bookstore i refer to is located on the same floor as the main bookstore, right next to that travel place. (same floor as the mr. sub)

hope that helps! (sorry, didn't know which forum to put this in):beer:

Comments

• Pro
    edited December 2006
    it's called quad books ;)
  • edited December 2006
    buy USED books only if you can.
  • edited December 2006
    Shouldnt there be an easier way students can buy/sell books to each other?? We lose so much money from books it's ridiculous.
  • edited December 2006
    they bought back my EASC 107 book for $50.
    SFU book store offered me $12.

>.>
    And I bought this book NEW for $120. Sheesh. Stupid SFU bookstore.
  • edited December 2006
    oh yea, haha quad books haha. yea, but sometimes they give you a lower price for buy back then the bookstore....so it's best to check both and sell to the one that gives the most.
  • edited December 2006
    It looks like the bookstore has an online list of books they are buying back. You can get to it though my.sfu.ca, then My Courses tab, then Buyback List (on the right hand side).

I couldn't find some of my books in there, so I don't think it's perfect yet, but it might help!
  • edited December 2006
    Remember that the bookstore exists for the express purpose of having a licence to print money. :tongue:
  • edited December 2006
    For my stats book, the evil wench at quad offered me 50, then she said, ohh its used... "you're looking at about 40"

SFUBookstore buybacks, beep, 70.50. Chaching, sold on the spot.

Lesson learned here? Check both places

And Malakaiii, if its not there, they're not buying it back, sorry to tell ya.
  • edited December 2006
    Boo.. hiss... Do you think they'll buy them at Quad? (I dunno why they would, but...)

Textbook prices are kicking my ass.

I bought a bunch of my English books new on Amazon.ca for a fraction of the USED price. Just write down the ISBN numbers and search Amazon. I also got a few from Chapters (they weren't as cheap, but still better than the book store!) Plus if they have the same cover you can still sell them back!
  • edited December 2006
    Quad has a smaller list of titles they'll buy back :/

I've never bought books off the internet, partly because I dont have paypal, but I'll definitely look into that :P
  • edited December 2006
    You don't need Paypal to buy through Amazon or Chapters or most other big name online stores! They have their own checkout system. Plus they are big companies and if you have problems you can raise a big stink... :wink:

Paypal is good for Ebay and small online stores. Getting an account is free to and only costs you to take out money, not send it!

Leave a Comment