To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

8 Reasons Why I'm Starting to Hate SFU

edited November 2012 in General
I know i'm gonna sound like a complete whiner here. But I am hoping some of you will read it and share some of what I have to say. I'm going to list some reasons why I'm starting to despise this place and why I feel so alienated as a student..

Yes it is university and that other unis probably are like this too, but still. At least other unis have their pros to outweigh their cons. There isn't a real sense of pride when one goes to SFU.

1.) The useless and robotic advisors
What irks me is that they get paid to sit there and give advice when they give the most rehearsed, biased answers. It's like they're all trained to give answers that would help the university. Like fuq I want you to give me your heart to heart answer. Right now I'm undeclared and have been feeling lost about my direction for a while now. Aren't advisors supposed to help guide you, support you and give you more options? UGH.

I've talked to maybe about 8 general advisors and some business and career advisors and everything they've told me has been things that I already know - "oh have you checked sfu calendar, oh have you checked career services, did you know you need a 3.1 gpa to get into business) Ok I already know that. I ask them "well shouldn't there be a balance between majoring in what you like, and what gets you a job" and they all say to major in what you like because employers will hire someone with a degree anyway. O RLY? Is that why the liberal arts majors can't find jobs and end up working at starbucks? it's all about the money, they'd rather lie to students so the university takes your $$$ then tell you the truth.

I just wish they weren't so robotic in their answers and actually give genuine answers. I really can't anymore.

2.) SFU enrollment system. 
If you know that 1000x people are going to take the class, why don't you open up more sections? Some people need to graduate and how do they do it if you don't even have space

3.) They need to add color to the depressing concrete
I dont really want to beat the dead horse and complain about the grey walls at SFU. But there's a reason that almost everyone hates it. It's outdated, it's dull, it makes you feel drained of all energy. When you commute to sfu everyday back and forth, the walls make you feel like you're trapped inside this suffocating concave building. It never ends! At least Blusson Hall is nice, but everywhere else; the AQ the tutorials ugh.
For all the money that the university makes, they don't really care about making the place more accommodating to students. Look at UBC. All the bright greenery, gardens, the events happening all the time, just the overall vibe from the university makes me wish I went there

4.) Lack of community and campus life. 
I know university is what you make of it, but I've tried. Talking to people in lectures, in tutorials. I've joined clubs. But everyone there joins with their friends, everyone already knows each other. I feel like, as someone who is going to SFU expecting to make close friends, it's not going to happen easily especially since lots of people going to SFU are from the same high schools. Also because it's such a commuter school, the campus doesn't provide a lot of activities for people who are NEW to meet each other. It's more activities for cliques and their friends.

5.)Stuck up Profs and their egos. I would say for every 4 professors I've gotten, only 1 of them are actually good. They don't teach you how to "think critically". They teach you how to regurgitate the professor's opinion. If you don't think like them, you are wrong. They also test you on irrelevant "how many people died in this flood" facts than on the important stuff "what causes floods". You can just tell by ratemyprofs how bad some of the profs we have are here. If you're better at research, then stay doing research. If you suck at teaching, well DONT TEACH!

6.)Overpriced food, overpriced parking, overpriced everything

7.)Paying so much for such basic services and facilities. Like are you kidding me with that small exercise room. Also some TA's can be so useless and inefficient at helping students.

8.) Gross library washrooms.

There are some pros. I have met some great people at sfu and some really nice, helpful profs. But as the semesters go by, I start to realize that perhaps this may not be the best place for me...there's more to hate than to be appreciative here at SFU

Comments

• Hello there,

I totally understand where you're coming from and I can also relate to how you feel but I'm going to try to touch on some of your comments in another perspective.

1) I can't comment too much on this since I haven't seen many advisors myself. It is unfortunate that they have to somewhat lie but I guess you have to understand that they are in no position to discourage students from pursuing certain degrees just because they seem to be lacking in the career aspect. Who knows? Maybe in the future a liberal arts degree may whip out tons and tons of money? If this were to ever happen, advisors would be in deep shit for misleading their undergrad students. Advisors have to stay neutral in their beliefs.

2) I'm sure they would if they could. They wouldn't give up any opportunity to take your money.

3) It's not so easy rebuilding the Burnaby campus since it runs three semesters a year unlike UBC (which runs only two). But yeah, it is depressing and really needs a touch up. Have you ever been to the Surrey Campus? It's absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. If you need a change of view, take some classes there. You'll enjoy the change for sure.

4) Frosh and orientation are excellent opportunities to meet new friends but I guess they aren't an option for you at the moment. Many of the social clubs at SFU are actually really good! I'm just a first year and I've already met a lot of friends through clubs and such. Just give it some time.

5) I can't comment too much on this since I'm just a first year.

6) Things will be overpriced wherever you go in Greater Vancouver. It's one of the most expensive places to live.

• Well said OP. I totally agree that the advisors aren't as helpful as they should be. They seem to have the same attitude of me of just getting my credits and degree and gtfo. Get it done, get out mentality. 

As for all the campus building related stuff and washrooms etc. you have to realize UBC has almost double the amount of students which is double the profit as well as being situated on its own unincorporated municipality on the endowment lands. 

If you really want nicer and more appealing facilities you should hit up some classes at SFU Surrey because that place is amazing. I'm from Burnaby but I'm registered at Surrey.

I think making friends is really just a personal thing... Most of my friends were from high school already yes but I made many in orientation. But even at orientation you have the few who have a hard time being outgoing.

As for the FOOD, like omfg yeah the food sucks in terms of prices. I wish they had a really cheap cafeteria like back in high school with homemade type foods like soups and daily mains that go for under $6. Imagine how much the rez people would save on food vouchers. I find myself always going to Subway only if I'm at Burnaby because I have a gift card but that's the only reason. Again with Surrey campus though, you might like it better because since it's ontop of a mall they have a food court with little selection but there's McDonald's across the street.

• The sad thing is that the library washrooms used to be even grosser.  They had soap that was some weird, gritty powder, and they were never cleaned.

SFU downtown campus is not bad, and there's the Harbour Centre food fair which is okay, but there is NO student life down there.

• If you're starting to hate this place, then I really suggest transferring to a different school, unless it's your final year. I can relate because I had the same negative feelings toward this institution and I regret not doing enough research into the department I am majoring in (Political Science).

Also if I may add another point
    SFU seems to favour certain departments/faculties over others.  Yes I know the school is well known for certain programs and it takes vast resources to operate departments where majority of the student population majors like criminology, communications, health science, business, economics, computing science, graphic design and animation, etc. but still there should be no excuses to neglect other departments as well, to the point where funding becomes a problem when hiring sessional instructors or offering new courses. 

You only have to look around to see the preferential treatment going on around the school (look at the new Blusson Hall and Saywell Hall; now look at the AQ and library building).  I understand the need of a new Health Science building and all but shouldn't funding get prioritized to refurbish older aging structures that are in dire need of upgrading?
  • Also I can't help but notice my department has the problem of recruitment and retention of tenured professors.  Already a number of them have retired or moved on from SFU.  Adding to the problem is that some courses had been repeated term after term with others have never been offered at all.  And as I've allured in the previous post, sessional instructor hirings seems to be far and few and this of course contributes to lack of courses offered.

Overall my experience here have been negative and given the chance I would probably never come to SFU (still regretting it, stupid stupid stupid...) .
  • Firstly, thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions!

MrCones
    I've been thinking about taking some courses at SFU Surrey, but the commute is a bit longer for me. I honestly would love if most of the classes were there, the foodcourt, the mall and the architect are enough reasons for me to go...but of course the location is a further away. I wish SFU could invest in renovating more of the AQ and that old, gross library. 
    I think right now I'm just another confused, lost student, and with SFU being not very accommodating it makes it even harder...but best of luck to you in your future years!

I agree, it seems like these advisors don't really care about you for YOU but they just want to reply quickly so you can move on and they can take their next "customer". That's how I felt with the business advisor anyway. And yeah, I really do want to take some courses over at Surrey; honestly being stuck up on that mountain and having to go up there every morning is draining as it is. It's just the commute seems long-ish for me.

Annie 
    I haven't been down to the Harbor Campus, but lol ew I can't imagine how gross it must have been in those washrooms before. Overall, not very phased..

Overall my experience here have been negative and given the chance I would probably never come to SFU (still regretting it, stupid stupid stupid...) .

^This is me but right now I'm just in my 3rd semester. I'm only hoping it gets better, lol.
    About transferring, I have thought about it but I've had times where I thought, Oh I should probably suck it up because most universities are like this. I'm mostly worried if the other colleges don't have what I want, or if I would be better off staying at university now. It's just hard to decide. I wish I had my old high school advisor here..universities don't care at all ;(

And I SO AGREE About upgrading the other buildings at SFU, especially the AQ and library. SFU is so biased sometimes, argh..

But are you nearing graduation now, Whydoihavetoregister? Have things gotten better for you?

• Yeah I wish I had better information when deciding which school to attend.  It's a pain since most school will only allow you to transfer 60 credits from another place.  The old saying goes "the grass is always greener on the other side" but after looking at similar programs offered in other institutions I do believe it's better.  Now that I'm close to finish I just want to move on and never look back at this again, and I guess the best advice if you can't transfer is to tough it out and hopefully try to find something good and positive (whether they may be new friends, classmates, nice profs/sessionals you meet, or join a club or something). 
  • Definite agree with the advisors - although if you've got an advisor whos been around long enough, they'll have better insight as to what students opinions about courses and things were, try to find the vets.

If SFU Surrey is a bit farther but you really dislike BBY, id suggest go to surrey anyways - its such a small campus and it feels like a community. I didn't know anyone coming in from HS but you get to know people quite fast, and people are generally nice if you try to join something. Try to go out of your way for events and things-I know you've mentioned that you've tried to join clubs and things and that people already seem to know each other, that's exactly how I feel at BBY, alienated, even after joining things. I'd say try something at surrey this time round, they've always got something or the other happening on campus. There's ample access to all types of food at all ranges and the campus itself is beautifully built. 

If you're looking for a change of view at BBY, id suggest studying anywhere in the Chemistry building, its brand new. :)

Most certainly agree on the state of the library washrooms, they're in need of an update but with all the washroom renos going on, it might be something they're getting to!
  • ^^I like it when I can still post as guest/anonymous, but then they disabled it
  • First of all, I can't help but say that I agree with @loversandlies . My experience with SFU has not been all positive.

1) As far as the advisors go, I haven't really seen mine. But one time, mine was quite helpful when I was in the middle of dropping a course. But overall I agree and I am feeling quite lost with what degree I should choose as well! However, advisors aren't very helpful with that :(

2) The enrollment system gets me EVERY time. Switching into a course is nearly impossible if you change your mind on what you want to take. Also, if you do switch a course, I have found that I have to wait until the beginning of the semester and you may end up missing the first tutorial (not the end of the world, but frustrating).

3) I agree about the colours too! I can't wait until they take out that horrid orangey-reddy flooring in the AQ. The school doesn't feel like an academic institution.

4) And yes!!! The lack of community life is actually quite depressing. There are a few people who I have met at SFU who are extremely nice, but it is hard to make close friends. It actually can get quite...lonely to be honest :P and it is difficult to make friends yourself (I'm always worried someone will think I am weird for talking to them, or will be annoyed). I am close to creating a club "For those who don't have many friends at SFU".

5) My profs have been pretty good, but I always double check them on ratemyprof, as there are quite a few that people know to stay away from!

6) Everything IS way to pricey at this university. I thought that because the school knows we are all poor university students, that they would have cheap food at least to make it affordable and help out its students. How come I can get a $1 hot dog from Ikea and the same thing is like $5 at SFU? 

7) & 8) I also agree!
  • I don't agree that SFU is as bad as you make it seem.

1. I only met with an advisor once but when I did I found her to be really helpful and I felt as though she took her time with me to explain everything in detail and clearly. Others obviously wont be as nice or caring.

2. The enrolment system can be frustrating but if you are determined enough it is possible to get the classes you want/need. My enrolment date for Spring 2013 was 2 days before open enrolment so every class I wanted/needed was full long before I got a chance to enroll. However, I was able to still get in to every class by Christmas break. I do agree that it is definitely a pain though.

3. I didn't choose SFU because I want a school that doesn't lack colour in the concrete. There are some older, not as nice parts to SFU but there are also some very nice spots. Saywell Hall and Blusson Hall is beautiful, especially outside with the "garden." SFU Surrey is also newer so if how your school looks is important to you go to the Surrey campus.

4. I find it hard to make friends lectures but not for in tutorials. Campus life may be lacking a little, but I cant compare it to any other university since I've only ever gone to SFU so I don't know what it would be like elsewhere.

5. In my 3 semesters I've never had a problem with any professor. They have all been good but every school will have some disliked profs.

6, 7 and 8 I agree with. 

Overall every one of your complaints is the same I hear from each of my friends all going to different universities. I have friends at UVIC, UBC, UBCO, Toronto, Alberta, Calgary, McGill, Ottawa, Douglas, BCIT, Fraser Valley, Manitoba, etc. and they all say the exact same things about their school. 

• Yep, it's hard to make any lasting friends at SFU. You work some people and next they go pff. Very "cold" school, I'd have to say.
  • I agree with @SFU94

I will be honest, I hated SFU hell I was pissed that UBC didnt want me, but I now I'm super glad SFU accepted me and I love it now.

I havent joined any clubs but I did make a friend and that was good enough for me. I'm not at SFU to make or meet a huge clique. This is university not high school, I don't care how many friend you have I just want a few that will talk to me.

People complain about everything. My friends at UBC are always saying how much better SFU is. They constantly say they wish theyd picked SFU. But in reality, people always want what they cant have and they always take what they have for granted.

Oh yeah, advisors may suck but thats why I ask people not part of SFU for advice. Personally, I agree with their opinion of, "if you have a degree someone will hire you", why? Cause based on all the people and companies I bugged and talked to during the Big Fair... Companies just want people who are capable. If your degree from SFU isnt enough get a cert from BCIT or something. Obviously, the best choice is co op to gain experience and build your network.

But hey, I could be wrong cause I'm just a hopeful first year trying to look on the brighter side of things :).

If you want to know about what companies look for when hiring people just pester them during the Big Fair. I asked every booth, "what kind of degree do I need to work with you? What are you looking for?". Sure a lot of them said, "BUSINESS!" but they also said, "I majored in ________ but I ended up working in something pretty much unrelated". A lot of the people were SFU grads who did co op.

Oh yeah, @WooHoo if you really start a club called, "For those who don't have many friends at SFU" I will join LOL
  • Hi there,
    I'm on my last year at sfu and the first thought I had when I entered to SFU still didn't change at all.
    The campus is still gloomy, many of the professors in SFU are still mean and useless, and my overall satisfaction level towards this school is still very low. If you think you don't feel happy with this school, then think of transferring to another school before it's too late..lol. But I can say that one pro of going to sfu is that you learn how to "survive" for the rest of your life and argue critically and intelligently. After going to sfu, I never lose in argumentations and conversations. And also you feel very confident of yourself of not failing the school while 20 of my friends have already moved to another school or given up on going to college. Good luck!

Leave a Comment