To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

rant: i can't study anymore!!

edited December 2006 in General
it just feels like my brain is saturated and won't absorb anything anymore.. =( nothing is sticking and arGh.. it's frustrating.. not to mention i've only scratched the surface of econ to which the final is on wed.. i haven't touched ling (which is also on wed) nor crim (thurs).. and speaking of crim i still have a 100+ pages to read.. bleh* fun stuff..

end rant

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Sleep a bit, then start studying again after.

OR, you could listen to the lecture recordings while you sleep, and hope it absorbs that way. Or sleep with your textbook as a pillow, and hope the knowledge absorbs directly into your brain. I tried before, and woke up with a headache that I assumed was an excess of knowledge; so much so that its sheer mass was causing my brain to swell to a size too big for my skull, thus causing a headache. Or it could be because of the pointy edges...up to your own interpretation.
  • edited December 2006
    i know how you feel (i only touched my history textbook since the midterm 2 days ago, today was the history final)...last week i was swamped with 2 exams..
    tomorrow i have an english exam and i have yet to read half the material.
    and i have another one on friday that i just haven't read ANYTHING for. lol

but think of it this way, force yourself to study now, suffer in the present...and you know that it'll be all better once it's all over.
    that's how i handle it.

usually, i spend about an hour and a half with intense studying, then take a half an hour break to relax, and let myself digest the material. it works for me...and it might for you!

it could be a problem that i don't stress. like seriously, i think i have some chronic problem with the inability to worry...which makes me worry =P hahahahaha...god look at what studying has done to ME!

3 coffees, one Monster energy drink ...don't do what i did kids.
  • edited December 2006
    last week.... 1000mg of caffeine... 3000mg of taurine... i was shaking while writing the final... was it worth it? i think i passed, so yes. lol stupid all nighters
  • edited December 2006
    Magnificent_Bastard said:
    Sleep a bit, then start studying again after.

OR, you could listen to the lecture recordings while you sleep, and hope it absorbs that way. Or sleep with your textbook as a pillow, and hope the knowledge absorbs directly into your brain. I tried before, and woke up with a headache that I assumed was an excess of knowledge; so much so that its sheer mass was causing my brain to swell to a size too big for my skull, thus causing a headache. Or it could be because of the pointy edges...up to your own interpretation.
    hahaha..so how did you do on the final?
  • edited December 2006
    Triple said:
    last week.... 1000mg of caffeine... 3000mg of taurine... i was shaking while writing the final... was it worth it? i think i passed, so yes. lol stupid all nighters
    you are my idol. i don't know if i could handle that. even now, i feel as if my heart is pumping like crazy lol.

any more and i think i might pass out...
  • edited December 2006
    siuying said:
    hahaha..so how did you do on the final?
    I..........don't remember >_<

Let me go and use my daily journal as a pillow, and I'll let you know tomorrow =P
  • edited December 2006
    you know triple now that you reminded me.. i once did that.. i basically lived on coffee for that whole week of midterms.. and when i wrote my last one (it was on friday).. my heart was pounding so fast that it felt like i couldn't breathe properly.. and yes the shaking hands too.. hehehe.. the prof probably noticed as my paragraph answers were kinda jigglyish.. XP

so meesh.. i wouldn't advise the caffeine consumption when your heart is already working so hard.. =P

@MB... i'll be waiting for my answer tml.. =)
  • edited December 2006
    meesh said:
    you are my idol. i don't know if i could handle that. even now, i feel as if my heart is pumping like crazy lol.

any more and i think i might pass out...
    yeah i just took pill #5, so thats 500mg of caffeine since 6pm... lol not too bad. only like 6-7 cups of coffee. dont have any energy drinks tonight though, haha

wheres a good place to sleep at school, i got an exam at 830... then another at 7pm and im guna be dead tired so staying awake for 8 hours isnt an option, lol
  • edited December 2006
    Oh jeez... you guys are torturing yourselves!

Being stressed out certainly doesn't help you to recall the information and express it properly on the exam.

Admittedly, it's too late now to go back in time and do a little preparatory studying once a week or so, but maybe it will be lesson learned for next semester?

I've developed a c'est la vie attitude toward exams. I prepare as best as I can, but I don't pull all-nighters or guzzle the caffeine. The best thing you can do for yourself is have a clear, calm mind going in to the exam. Try a little deep breathing before even flipping that first page open.

A quote that helps me through shitty or stressful times is "this, too, will pass"

It'll all be a distant memory soon. Just do the best you can!
  • edited December 2006
    hahaha.. well malakaiii.. i've tried doing the weekly studying routine.. but when the midterms and finals hit.. i don't rmb anything related to the studying i did so in turn i would just have to do the studying all over again... =(

*siGh..blame it on short term memory!! =.="
  • edited December 2006
    yeah i always say ill do the weekly thing.. then i dont... then i figure, 'hey, better to be tired from staying up all night and knowing some stuff, than being wide awake and knowing nothing!"
  • edited December 2006
    A little bit of planning goes a long way... at least thats what my smart friend tells me !
  • edited December 2006
    I cant study anymore as well!!!! But that is because I AM DONE!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2006
    I agree with Malakaii

My own twist: aim low, so even if you miss your goal, you'd just barely miss it.
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    Oh jeez... you guys are torturing yourselves!

Being stressed out certainly doesn't help you to recall the information and express it properly on the exam.

Admittedly, it's too late now to go back in time and do a little preparatory studying once a week or so, but maybe it will be lesson learned for next semester?

I've developed a c'est la vie attitude toward exams. I prepare as best as I can, but I don't pull all-nighters or guzzle the caffeine. The best thing you can do for yourself is have a clear, calm mind going in to the exam. Try a little deep breathing before even flipping that first page open.

A quote that helps me through shitty or stressful times is "this, too, will pass"

It'll all be a distant memory soon. Just do the best you can!
    But when you look back, theres that regret in the back of your head saying that i would of done better if i just put in the extra hour or so of studying

Bah im dead tired from studying too last one this thursday effing math stuff is so boring mmmhhmm
  • edited December 2006
    gawdawaful said:
    I agree with Malakaii

My own twist: aim low, so even if you miss your goal, you'd just barely miss it.
    hehe

i think i hav too much ambition and pride on the line to aim low, im a slacker and a last minute kinda person when it comes to studying but i still aim for a's !!

it just bugs me cause i know im capable and smart enough to score well, i just dont put in the time/effort to get it sometimes
  • edited December 2006
    if you find that's what's happening...maybe go for a run, the extra oxygen in your brain my help you concentrate.

take a deep breath. count backwards from 10. tell yourself "I can do this!" slug down a cup of joe. it'll all be over soon enough
  • edited December 2006
    Im about to throw my books out of the window!
  • edited December 2006
    Cinnamon said:
    Im about to throw my books out of the window!
    I done that already with my physics bookicon_nuts.gif
  • edited December 2006
    Jimmy Tung said:
    I done that already with my physics bookicon_nuts.gif
    Oh jeez I hope you didn't hit anyone!

And my Psych 250 exam murdered me today. 190 multiple choice and 15 "short" answers... gahhhhhh...
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    And my Psych 250 exam murdered me today. 190 multiple choice and 15 "short" answers... gahhhhhh...
    oh goodness.. 190? X( i suppose those 15 short answers didn't turn out to be short answers eh? =\ *patpat*
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks...!

By the time I got to the short(ish) answers I wasn't caring anymore! One nice thing about so many m/c is that each one is worth less so you can screw up a bit more... :wink:

Is there usually such a drastic difference between the midterm and the finals?! I was at Langara before this semester and you could get a good idea of the final from the midterm. But here they've all been SO much more difficult!

At least I'll know what to expect next term!
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaii, are you a psych major? From what I've seen, psych here is just in their own lil messed up world. My two 100 intro psychs didnt follow the usual grading scheme, so I lost a letter grade on each. 73% for a C+ and 75 for a B-, etc.

On the other hand, 241 was scaled so 75 or something was a B+

So conclusion uh... always pray that your prof scales.

Siuying, for me regarding this whole studying thing, I am very much a slacker. One more crazy exam tomorrow at 8:30 and I'm online here after watching TV online for 90mins... yah. Anyways, I know how you feel with the whole capable thing, but I think I've figured out whats wrong with me; I'm afraid of trying and not reaching the goal I think I'm capable of, so I slack and tell myself my B-'s are find because I dont try. Been like that since high school, so its not like I'll be changing anyways.

But hey, w/e works. I need to get some coffee, tireddddd
  • edited December 2006
    yeah.. whatever works.. i crammed for 4 hours last night and then went out for my 8:30 exam.. suffice to say.. that one went pretty well in my opinion.. (perhaps the prof will have another when he marks it.. hehehe).. in regards to the 2nd one.. i totally bombed it.. =.=" lol.. i'll be really really happy if i pass.. =) but *siGh.. back to studying.. one more 8:30 tml and i'm officially done.. then i can start throwing books out the window like some of you are doing.. X)
  • edited December 2006
    I'm going toward a Bachelor of Education, with minors in educational psychology, psychology and linguistics. Plus a bunch of English courses for extra upper level credit (English is easy for me, but boring)

And I have one more tomorrow too in Linguistics. Siuying, you know how much fun Pankratz is! So I haven't been to the class since the midterm and I've been slacking like crazy (stoopid Nintendo Wii!), so now I have to teach myself 5 chapters and over a month's worth of lecture... whoops...

At least I'll have short term memory on my side, right?

Oh and update on my murderous Psych 250 exam (the 190 multiple choice one). Everyone is rallying on the WebCT site and they're writing tons of emails to the prof, trying to get her to scale it down. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who freaked out!
  • edited December 2006
    hehe up in arms! spam the prof!!
  • edited December 2006
    funny in the same post you mention Pankratz and rallying, lol
    he screwed up our final and tons of people were mailing and complaining about which version was harder

he ignored the mails :P
  • edited December 2006
    gawdawaful said:
    funny in the same post you mention Pankratz and rallying, lol
    he screwed up our final and tons of people were mailing and complaining about which version was harder

he ignored the mails :P
    Oh jeez... what exam/course was this?!

And yes, I think that there should be only one version of the frigging exam and he should just make people sit apart. It's impossible to guarantee that they are the same!
  • edited December 2006
    Oh joy! Fun with my Psych 250 exam continues.

In response to all the ranting and emails, the prof has dropped 5 M/C questions and 3 of the S/A. So it stinks for the people who got those right and have to lose marks!

The real icing on the cake is she ordered the text in for ONE semester. So not only did I have to buy the damn thing new, I can sell it back for a whopping $14. tears.gif
  • edited December 2006
    oh cheer up, I'm stuck with psyc 241, 221 and 260 texts. Those 3 combined probably cost me $300 total :P

I think it was ling 100 where he miss photocopied stuff or such

Leave a Comment