To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

STAT101 or STAT 201 - Distance Education

edited August 2012 in General
Has anybody taken STAT101 or STAT201 by distance education with Timothy Swartz? Can anybody shed some information (ie. was the course load quite heavy, was there decent online support, did you find that you were graded fairly, etc.) I have never taken a statistics course before, nor have I taken a class by distance education.

Many thanks!

Comments

• I took the class by distance education in January 2012. My experience was quite bad. I found that trying it alone was kind of boring. I regret my decision to take it by distance and if I could I would choose to take it in person. It costs about the same so try to make the time to take it in person.
  • I took STAT 101 online too in Jan 2012. It was the second time that I took it as it was a required course for my degree and the first time I fell just below the 2.25 required GPA (although still passed the course). So I took it again - this time was better and obviously easier as I understood the formulas more. However, it was definitely a course that required you to read the textbook in order to know how to do formulas. No one will help you. I am an Arts student and 201 was also an option. I am just happy I did well the 2nd time. The whole class passed the course in Jan 2012 according to the TA. Pretty much only advise I can give is that it is not an easy mark and you do need to open your texts. It is not one of those courses you could get away with without reading anything. A big PLUS on the exam was that every one could bring a cheat sheet with all the formulas written down. GOOD LUCK!
  • First of all, STAT101 and 201 both are the same course, using the same textbook and very similar assignments are given to the students. These courses are relatively easy compared to math courses like Math104 or 105 which are calculus. Although I am not a math guy,(I gave up math when I was 5), I have finished this course with a decent grade. 

Leave a Comment