To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

med school but not in sciences.

edited December 2006 in General
Generally i've been a mix between an artsy person and a sciencey person. i love media and looking into getting into business marketing and advertising.

on the other hand (and this is where the title of thread fits in), I also feel like I want to get into medicine. I have always done well in the sciences, and I do have a passion for it. I am not looking to get a Bachelor of science though, because I am not looking for any careers in that field, but i am very interested in Medicine.

what do you guys think if i pursue a regular BBA in advertising, while in the summer i take the prereqs for Med school (under UBC's requirements) over the course of several summers? these are two things I have a passion for, and call me stubborn, but I do feel as if i can do it...hmm.. yeah just a thought, any input is appreciated!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Well son, if your GPA is over 3.5 and you have over a 100 hours of volunteer hours, then go for it!

good luck on getting into med school, cause you're going to need a lot of it! no matter who you are.
  • edited December 2006
    Chowzzer said:
    Well son, if your GPA is over 3.5 and you have over a 100 hours of volunteer hours, then go for it!

good luck on getting into med school, cause you're going to need a lot of it! no matter who you are.
    as important as academics are (which are important to me too...since i compete with myself a lot), i also believe that doing extracurriculars are vital not only to "impress" the institutions, but also to embrace my mental well-being. i've logged well over 300 hours of service + athletics + working at St.Paul's Hospital for a year in the AIDS lab. i just never pursued science, because...i don't know...i just never did. i'm just not sure whether it's a good idea to get into medicine, if i'm not even in a science oriented faculty (although i could just take the science courses)...

Luck, to me, is what brought me here to Canada that has allowed all of these opportunities. Luck, however, is not essential to getting into med school. it's about who you are, and what you strive for. that's my belief.

though thanks for the feedback! :) i appreciate it!

ps. "son"? hehe i'm a girl..."dad"? ahahhaha sorry i'm a bit hysterical from studying.
  • edited December 2006
    3.5 is not need...

now they even reject some1 who has 4.33 gpa lol...now who say mark is everything?

and 300 hours?.... Really hard to believe it without proof...
  • edited December 2006
    toast said:
    3.5 is not need...

now they even reject some1 who has 4.33 gpa lol...now who say mark is everything?

and 300 hours?.... Really hard to believe it without proof...
    yeah i went through the ubc med statistics, and they do in fact reject people with A+'s.

yes well i don't have the proof here, but i went to this alternative program in high school, and one of the requirements for me to advance into the next grade was to do 75 hours of volunteer per year (lighter load in gr12 though), and i actually i had to get all my volunteers to sign a form indicating i completed the it with good standing. it was preeeeeetty shitty, but helped me get the experience i needed. and plus, in the summer i volunteered/worked a lot/did an internship at the AIDS centre because i did super good on a science fair proj. + played competitive vball.
    i know it's hard to believe...but i wouldn't embellish about it, there wouldn't be need to here...and think of it this way, i didn't watch tv lol...and i don't sleep very much...and during that time, i hardly ever sat down...lol!

but i'm sure by the point that i do apply, those hours would render obsolete (which is sad...because it was such hard strenuous work to obtain them!)...except maybe for the AIDS thing, since that seems the most relevant, but even with that...i'm sure it wouldn't uphold any openings for acceptance :tongue:
  • edited December 2006
    well...u can never tell what those ppl are thinking in UBC med school...

maybe they are on drugs lol
  • edited December 2006
    toast said:
    well...u can never tell what those ppl are thinking in UBC med school...

maybe they are on drugs lol
    haha true, and their egos...
  • edited December 2006
    Well theres obviously a reason why they say that a science degree is optional for med school...they care more if you are a well-balanced and intelligent individual than about what you like to do. In the long run, if you wanna be happy you have to build on the strengths you have. There are many ways you could leverage a Marketing degree even in your career after med school, leading to your success.
  • edited December 2006
    yeah the way i see it is that a BBA degree (especially advertising) will allow me to acquire the skills to work under a high-pressure environment--which honestly gets me going...i love the pressure, i function the best under these circumstances (i'm weird).
    and working as a doctor requires that ability to remain calm while under extreme stress.
    a BBA also develops my leadership skills, which is vital to making decisions in healthcare as well...

but i'm not setting anything into stone. i'm only keeping my options open.

Leave a Comment