To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Translink Strike

edited December 2006 in General
I heard there is one coming up.. is this true? And if it is, when is it going to happen?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    First I've heard this...
  • edited December 2006
    I heard it from my parents.. and I think they heard it from the news... =S
  • edited December 2006
    hmm i dont see anything on their website.
  • edited December 2006
    Hope it isn't true lol.. it would suck to have them go on strike when finals are going on..
  • edited December 2006
    I wouldnt be able to get to school and to/from work... other than that, wouldnt really matter to me... since my hate for that damn ill managed company can not increase any more.
    I think someone should start a bus company here in GVA and call it "anti-translink"
  • edited December 2006
    I wouldn't be able to get to school...

When are they talking about doing this?
  • edited December 2006
    Sounds like we need a talksfu investigation like on dateline :teeth:
  • edited December 2006
    The support staff behind the Skytrain might seek job action depending on whether or not they reach an agreement with Translink.
    Story here

However, the talks are still ongoing until Wednesday so the system should be fine until then. If agreements aren't reached by then, there could be a strike starting on Friday (which is coincidentally the last day for exams).

Cheers,

Nick
  • edited December 2006
    sweet my exams only go onto until wednesday anyways.
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    I wouldn't be able to get to school...
    yeah...that will suk
    at least u have an excuse for skipping school!
  • edited December 2006
    Damn..Friday?! I have exam on that day..
  • edited December 2006
    I don't want an excuse for skipping school! I'm PAYING to go to school!
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    so technically if the buses aren't running, and therefore can't make it up the mountain.. would sfu be closed? e.g. like the snow days.
  • edited December 2006
    hmm good question.. i was thinking of the same thing.. after all a majority of us wouldn't be able to bus up to sfu.. and a small portion of us.. (or maybe it's just me) don't have a car to use.. =(
  • edited December 2006
    Looks like they are having their talks on Wednesday and we'll know then.

Keep your fingers crossed...
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    I don't want an excuse for skipping school! I'm PAYING to go to school!
    haha i know its changed
    especially since it's my first semester and i just came from highschool

now that i pay for my textbooks. i actually want to use them for some kind of good hahaha.

oh and the people that still have exams after the talk on wednesday, it's strictly on the strike for the skytrain so far, so theres ways to get to production way via bus anyways.
  • edited December 2006
    Uhh.. I'm coming from Surrey.. is there a way to get to Production by bus from Surrey?
  • edited December 2006
    ... the skytrain is BY FAR the best way to get to Production from Surrey, unless those are like closed down or something :S
  • edited December 2006
    I didn't know there are other ways to get to Production from Surrey without Skytrain..
  • edited December 2006
    The latest I've heard was 4 hours ago:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A strike threat for SkyTrain riders hangs over mediated talks today between TransLink and the union representing employees of the rapid transit line. If there is no progress in those discussions today, pickets are prepared to go up on the weekend. SkyTrain attendants, control operators, and maintenance workers would be off the job if a strike goes ahead, according to Gerry Cunningham with the union. As for whether trains will still be running, he says he has no idea what the company's plans are yet.
    --

Anyone have news more recent than this?
  • edited December 2006
    nope.. that's what i heard also.. and they might start striking friday..
  • edited December 2006
    wow if this happens it is going to be very difficult for me to get to the airport on saturday...:confused:
  • edited December 2006
    Still no news!

And I think the buses MIGHT still be running if the Skytrain workers strike. But then if they set up pickets at the bus depot, drivers won't cross it...

Blah... they shouldn't be allowed to strike! It was awful last time!
  • edited December 2006
    I thought the bus and skytrain people are both operated by coast mountain or w/e and share same union? I'm not sure, I've always thought of them as synonymous since the ticket/pass is same for both

w/e I just hope it doesnt escalate, me have exam at 8:30 tomorrowz >.<
  • edited December 2006
    I do too! But I think the earliest it will happen is the weekend, or Monday.

Otherwise I'll join you to thumb a ride up the mountain... :wink:
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    I do too! But I think the earliest it will happen is the weekend, or Monday.

Otherwise I'll join you to thumb a ride up the mountain... :wink:
    i have an exam on friday afternoon, and i'll be driving. in case there is a strike, i'll be on the lookout for those left stranded without the skytrain! (going eastward from vancouver) =P
  • edited December 2006
    Update from 6 hours ago (I love Google News!)

Strike fears ease for SkyTrain users

December 13, 2006 - 11:33 pm
    By: Reshmi Nair

There is some good news for SkyTrain riders who have been worrying about a strike coming into effect as soon as this weekend.

Mediated talks between the Skytrain Workers Union and TransLink have ended today although a decision still hasn't been reached.

Mediator Grant MacArthur has asked both sides to give him two days to write up a few recommendations a 72 hour strike notice will not be served during that time.

All parties have agreed to a media blackout for the next two days and SkyTrain says regular service will continue.

Last week, 90 per cent of SkyTrain employees voted in favour of a strike, and the bus drivers union says if a strike goes ahead, it will respect any picket lines at bus loops or anywhere else.
  • edited December 2006
    thats good news i suppose, i rely on bus/skytrain to get to work.. dunno how else to get to work without a car :'(
  • edited December 2006
    So is this happening or what?
  • edited December 2006
    SkyTrain walkout averted

By Dan Ferguson
    Black Press
    Dec 15 2006

A tentative deal has been reached in the dispute between TransLink’s SkyTrain subsidiary and its employees.

Bargainers for the B.C. Rapid Transit Company and the 516 employees represented by CUPE 7000 announced Friday that they have accepted mediator Grant McArthur’s recommendations.

“...this is a good package for employees, the union and SkyTrain,” said Doug Kelsey, president of B.C. Rapid Transit.

CUPE will hold a ratification vote on Thursday.

Details of the recommendations are being withheld until the vote.

The unionized workers earlier voted 90 per cent in favour of strike action if talks did not produce a settlement.

Members include SkyTrain attendants, control operators, skilled trades, maintenance and clerical staff.

Union officials were seeking wage and benefit improvements to keep pace with workers at other TransLink divisions and “appropriate compensation” to extend the contract beyond the 2010 Olympics.

A previous company offer was rejected by two-thirds of the membership.

The rapid transit system logs more than 200,000 passengers per day.

A SkyTrain strike that shuts it down would send commuters scrambling for alternatives, overwhelming many bus routes and increasing road congestion as some take cars.

There’s only been one strike in SkyTrain history – and it lasted just a single day in 1999 – but service has been halted at other times by picket lines set up by other unions.

SkyTrain workers are the first wave of about 4,000 unionized transit workers in this area that are yet to begin bargaining, including bus drivers, trades and maintenance workers represented by the Canadian Auto Workers, plus unionized transit police, clerical and office staff represented by other unions.

Leave a Comment