To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Shopping/Xmas Nightmares (share here!)

edited December 2006 in General
I'm feeling more and more frustrated with line-ups lately! It seems as though everyone has forgotten that lesson from grade school when we learned how to stand in a line, not step on anyone's toes, not budge, not shove the person in front of us, and not push to be in the front.

My top 3 lining up nightmares within the past week:

3. McDonalds - 2 tills open, I pick a line. Till 3 opens, I wait for those in front of me to go for it; they don't, so I do. This puts me parallel with the guy who was 3 people ahead of me a minute ago. So when the Mc-Clerk comes back to serve me, he decides to shove in front of me. Then he starts yelling about how there was one line. So I looked at all the people in the NEW line behind me and proceeded to order my food. Not sure when it became okay just to pick whatever line you wanted, regardless of who was there first.

2. Winners at Metrotown - I'm not sure what possessed me to go NEAR this store. It always makes me want to die. I'm waiting in line (they are all very long and slow as hell). My line starts to look bad so I do some switching. Get stuck behind a lady who is ACTUALLY standing in line for TWO tills. I ask her which one she's waiting for. She gives me a bitchy smile and says "which ever one opens up first". Yeah, great, lady. Put your money on one and go for it. I ended up switching again and had to stand there while the clerk obsessively folded five or ten shirts for the lady in front of me. Seriously, it's xmas... shove them in a bag and get moving!

1. London Drugs Pharmacy - 4 people ahead of me. Woman comes from nowhere and stands at the front of the line. I glare at her until she moves to the back (why does no one say anything when she steps right in front of them?!). Then she proceeds to cough on me for 10 minutes as I wait in line. And not just the throat-clearing cough, but a phlegmy hacking disaster. Also, she is very much in my personal space (ie: touching my back), but if I move away, she follows. She actually came right up to the till with me too. I'm just glad I didn't catch the Plague from her...

I swear, I'm a very patient person! I just can't stand lining up because no one DOES it right...

End of my rant. Feel free to add your own. I'm sure at this time of year, everyone is more frustrated that usual!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    I use to work at London Drugs. I worked at the photofinishing counter on the West Broadway LD. I always have to remind customers to get in line before approaching the counter. And that LD is always busy.

One time, two customers almost got into a fight b/c one budged and they started arguing. That's how badly they want their damn photos.
  • edited December 2006
    I haven't started christmas shopping, and I dont know if I want to. I tend to be nice but my patience is limited. You know in situations like your London Drugs one, I would have politely turned around and asked her to try and cough else where, honestly thats disgusting!
  • edited December 2006
    I'm SOoOooOoo pissed!!
    I went to Metrotown today (weekday) around 11 o clk in the morning with my mom. ... We had to go to ICBC...... Finding parking there makes you want to poke your eyes out!!

I drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking... and when i finally did, this guy decides that he was there first..
    !! WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! And then when I go to park into the spot, he rushes me .... and then , get this, he almost hits my car! My precious car!! ( lol sorry for all the exclamation marks!)

Then, this little man gets outa the car and goes to the passenger side and starts yelling at my mom...... WTFF. So my mom tells him off ... :) I"m sitting there laughing my ass off.... i can barely understand the broken english words coming out of his mouth...but from what i gather, he was angrified.....

I just moved here, and i'm h.a.t.i.n.g Burnaby more and more everyday :)
  • edited December 2006
    hahaha.. the parking stories.. those are endless classics.. X) try coming down to richmond during the weekends bhambra.. senseless drivers everywhere.. =.=" after all.. we didn't get voted for having the worse drivers for nothing.. =P lol.. drive the sensible drivers insane..
  • edited December 2006
    mstar said:
    You know in situations like your London Drugs one, I would have politely turned around and asked her to try and cough else where, honestly thats disgusting!
    Sadly, I don't believe she spoke a word of English! The funny part was even the pharmacist who sold me my prescription was grossed out. She looked like she might puke... haha

Oh, Bhambra... You will quickly learn that you shouldn't go near Metrotown at any point in December! And if you must... take the skytrain so you don't have to park there. We made the mistake of going a few days AFTER xmas last year and it was nightmarish!

I'm glad that others are sharing in my ranting...!
  • edited December 2006
    I still get confused sometimes with the 1 line for 3 tills or the 3 lines for 3 tills. Some places prefer the one line like Burger King and Wendys, while others prefer to have a seperate line for each till. Ill never be the first to move out of the line for a new till, but if someone does, ill follow.
  • edited December 2006
    :smile: At the Bay, please line up in one line.. I hate it when you line up in front of a till, because then i can't help you, and i have to send you to the back of the line, which is really cruel.

:smile: Second... just because i helped you find your gifts and carried them back with you to the till, doesn't mean i'm going to cash you out right away, you still have to stand in the line.

:smile: Don't tell me that all of a sudden you need a gift reciept at the end of the transaction, when i specifically asked you in the beggining and you sed no.

:smile: Please sign up for an HBC credit card, because then i wont get fired.

:smile: leave me alone ........ lol
  • edited December 2006
    Do you get fired if you don't sign people up for the credit card?!

People seriously drive me nuts there about the credit card and it makes me not want to shop there!
  • edited December 2006
    no wonder everytime i buy something from the bay, theyre always forcing me to get a card...kinda gets annoying
  • edited December 2006
    I didn't know your job is on the line when people don't sign up for the HBC card. Instead, I think you should be getting commission or whatnot if a customers signs up.
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    Bhambra said:
    :smile: At the Bay, please line up in one line.. I hate it when you line up in front of a till, because then i can't help you, and i have to send you to the back of the line, which is really cruel.

:smile: Second... just because i helped you find your gifts and carried them back with you to the till, doesn't mean i'm going to cash you out right away, you still have to stand in the line.

:smile: Don't tell me that all of a sudden you need a gift reciept at the end of the transaction, when i specifically asked you in the beggining and you sed no.

:smile: Please sign up for an HBC credit card, because then i wont get fired.

:smile: leave me alone ........ lol

you forgot about showing coupons before you ring everything up

and telling you which items are 1 tax before you ring it all up :P

retail sucks!
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    noname said:
    I didn't know your job is on the line when people don't sign up for the HBC card. Instead, I think you should be getting commission or whatnot if a customers signs up.

don't you get 20,000 points for every new application you get people to sign up for?
  • edited December 2006
    I like when you ring everything through, they pay you, and THEN the customer tells you that they're tax exempt. uh...huh.

This is the first year I haven't been working over the Xmas rush! It's WONDERFUL.
  • edited December 2006
    this is the reason i don't shop in malls.
    i'm lucky to live in a trendy area with small clothing stores all around my street so i can just do my shopping there.

the last time i went boxing day shopping (i was about 7 years old) with my parents, i threw up in a potted plant in the mall. it was fun...i left the place with a kermit doll...
    oh the innocent days of childhood.
  • edited December 2006
    noname said:

We don't get fired, but it totally affects how many hours we get , something called a "credit blend." The only time they can fire you about this, is during the first three months probation. We're supposed to get one person to sign up per shift, and its really hard. We get 20,000 points per card signed up as an incentive (wooo-freakin-hooo!). And if we're doing really bad and not getting people to sign up, we get pulled aside and talked to....which is really scary, once i had to talk to 3 managers about it over the course of one week :cry: . Sorry if you hate it when we ask you over and over, but hey at least you get 10% off of all your purchases that day, including cosmetics, and fragrances which never go on sale. And if youre looking to build up some credit, pretty much everyone gets accepted. (lol i'm not trying to sell you a card:tongue: ) And youre soo right Pro, coupons are a pain. Retail really does suck. People think shopping during xmas is hard, but what about the people who have to work during christmas!!
  • edited December 2006
    I have a few things I need to get but I'm not even gonna bother leaving the house. Its raining, parking is impossible to find, lineups are insane, everyones gettin sick and ya... id take exam stress over mall stress anytime
  • edited December 2006
    Bhambra said:
    People think shopping during xmas is hard, but what about the people who have to work during christmas!!
    I'm with you on that one! Retail employees are usually paid only minimum wage, given crappy hours, doing FAR more than they are paid for (I was training people, running shifts and acting as manager at minimum wage... and I'd get shit if I didn't do these things!). And on top of all that, they have to SMILE and sell things and get people to sign up for things they don't want to (like your HBC cards, Bhambra, or extended warantees, or even mailing lists).

And, especially at this time of year, it's the most thankless job you can ever imagine. People will shout at you for being too slow. Complain that the prices are to high. Yell at you as though you control everything that's happened to them that day. Snap "I'm just looking!" when all you said was "hi". And not even say thank you when you've gone the extra mile for them.

So everyone PLEASE be nice to those retail slaves you meet this holiday season!
  • edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:

So everyone PLEASE be nice to those retail slaves you meet this holiday season!

Please!!:embarassed:
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    which bay do you work at? haha we should all go it it and sign up for HBC cards!
  • edited December 2006
    haha That would be awesome! Then we could just cancel them once she gets the points. :wink:
  • edited December 2006
    the one in Guildford in housewares :wink:
  • Pro
    edited December 2006
    Malakaiii said:
    haha That would be awesome! Then we could just cancel them once she gets the points. :wink:

or just not activate it when you get them in the mail.. and keep signing up for more :smile:
  • edited December 2006
    I have a few things I need to get but I'm not even gonna bother leaving the house. Its raining, parking is impossible to find, lineups are insane, everyones gettin sick and ya... id take exam stress over mall stress anytime
    omg NEVER.. mall stress over exam stress ANYDAY. im better at getting past bitchy people than studying to pass a final :)
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, and how well you do at the mall doesn't affect your chances of graduating. :wink:

Leave a Comment