To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU Gondola proposal moves forward

edited September 2010 in General
bc-100921-peak-2-peak.jpg

TransLink has taken another step toward the construction an aerial gondola system to move people up Burnaby Mountain to Simon Fraser University.
The proposed gondola would connect the Production Way SkyTrain station on Lougheed Highway with the SFU campus, about 2.5 kilometres up the mountain.
The Lower Mainland transit authority issued an official request for proposals Monday, according to its website.
"The concept would use the technology that's currently employed in the Peak 2 Peak Gondola at Whistler," said TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie.
Peak 2 Peak is a 4.4-kilometre gondola system that connects the peaks of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.
The SFU Community Trust had a gondola feasibility study drawn up last year, which projected the line could move between 2,000 and 3,000 people per hour.
There are many potential benefits to the idea, said trust CEO Gordon Harris.
"[It would] reduce greenhouse gas emissions," Harris said. "It would provide quicker service and, certainly during the winter season, a more reliable service."
$70M projection

The project — with an estimated cost of $70 million — could be economical in the long run, said Hardie.
"We run an awful lot of buses up and down that hill. Those buses are subject to a lot of wear and tear because it's a very steep hill," he said. "If there is another way, a high-capacity way to move people up and down the mountain, it's worth looking at."
The feasibility study also points to potential problems. The gondolas might pass over several townhouse developments, raising questions about noise, privacy and property values.
Proposals for building the system are due by Oct. 12.
source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/09/21/bc-sfu-gondola-proposal.html#socialcomments

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Wow, that's awesome! I heard about this idea last Spring, and I didn't think it would actually go through because of how "unique" the proposal is. I'm sure the city of Burnaby would be on board, along with Translink so it actually makes sense financially... who whoulda thought?
  • edited September 2010
    There is no way in hell I would want to pay for this if I'm not going to be using it, so SFU better be careful with tuition costs when this comes to fruition.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes please. Double or triple the ridership numbers will allow the expansion of SFU to not harm students' transit experience, plus it will be a faster ride, less waiting, more environmentally friendly, more buses freed up for other routes, etc. I don't personally see any flaws with the plan, other than the fact that it's fairly pricey.
  • edited September 2010
    i wouldn't use it, but i think its an excellent idea
  • edited September 2010
    I wonder if it will run in the snow... like that time a couple years ago when buses were jackknifed on the road and everyone had to walk down the hill in like 2 feet of snow. That was harsh

Leave a Comment