To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

using a laptop in an exam

edited December 2006 in General
Has anyone ever had a prof who allowed the use of a laptop during an exam?? My ecology prof, has open book tests and during the last midterm, people were using their laptops to access their notes. This opens the door to a lot of abuse in my opinion do any other profs do this?

Comments

• hta
    edited December 2006
    It's not fair for those who dont have a computer.....
  • edited December 2006
    WH-WH-WHATT

Does he know they something call'd "internet" now?
  • edited December 2006
    Never heard of that happening. I can see it being way too easily abused, especially with http://scholar.google.com being such a valuable resource if part of the exam involves references to primary literature.
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    DJStylez said:
    WH-WH-WHATT

Does he know they something call'd "internet" now?
    Go :omg: yourself on the :boy_hug: :girl_hug: internet.
    ROFL!!
  • edited December 2006
    oh saweet... ima gonna take his course after I get a laptop XD

btw... why is it that most of the ecology specializing profs like open book exams? >.>
  • edited December 2006
    I emailed him, asking if I can use a laptop during the final...might as well exploit the opportunities I am given hahahA

@Luxferre...most bio classes involve lots of memorization, and they always want you to know the details too so they opt for open book...as my ecology prof always says "knowing where to find the informatin is as good as knowing it" but like I said, I don't think he knows about google, wikipedia, or umm... TALKSFU hahaha
  • edited December 2006
    thats pretty crazy lol good luck tinglu!
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    Luxferre said:
    oh saweet... ima gonna take his course after I get a laptop XD

btw... why is it that most of the ecology specializing profs like open book exams? >.>
    Open book exams are weird....I had one in hi school and it was just OK.
    Laptops are too expensive.:cry:
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, that's kind of a problem. Even the $600 laptops at Future Shop are a pretty big chunk out of someone's budget.

I like open-book exams if they're well-constructed. I wrote an open book exam in one of my nuclear science classes and it came out pretty well. Ditto that for my quantum mechanics class. :smile:
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    NukeChem said:
    Yeah, that's kind of a problem. Even the $600 laptops at Future Shop are a pretty big chunk out of someone's budget.

I like open-book exams if they're well-constructed. I wrote an open book exam in one of my nuclear science classes and it came out pretty well. Ditto that for my quantum mechanics class. :smile:
    LMAO
    ROFL
    LOL
    too funny y'all
    :smile: :teeth:
  • edited December 2006
    TiNgLu_SiNgH said:
    I emailed him, asking if I can use a laptop during the final...might as well exploit the opportunities I am given hahahA

@Luxferre...most bio classes involve lots of memorization, and they always want you to know the details too so they opt for open book...as my ecology prof always says "knowing where to find the informatin is as good as knowing it" but like I said, I don't think he knows about google, wikipedia, or umm... TALKSFU hahaha
    There's a reason I HATE bio classes... thanks for reminding... again... LOL

God... why the hell am I studying MBB... WHY GOD? WHY!?

Leave a Comment