To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

What language do you THINK in and why?

edited January 2007 in General
Almost all of the time I think in English, and very occassionally in Chinese. Hahaha, it's pretty weird, but I guess it's due to the fact that I'm studying in an English-medium school.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    English, but I grew up here and I am a native speaker so I think it would be very weird for me to think in, say, German. :tongue:
  • edited December 2006
    yeah i'm born here, and have always spoken english...but when i'm speaking to people in chinese, i'll think in chinese. but otherwise, english.

has anyone had dreams in another language???
    i had a dream in French when i was there this summer. probably because i was entirely immersed into it, being in the country and all.....i don't know whether the french was proper or not though haha
  • edited December 2006
    English, because it's the only language I speak.

Though I was in Quebec this summer on an exchange and I had to force myself to speak and think in French (difficult due to my limited vocabulary!) And I would have dreams in this strange French-ish language because I didn't know a lot of the words but I was so used to hearing them. It really did a number on my brain!
  • edited December 2006
    Mandarin
    English
    Taiwanese

depends on wut Im doin or who Im talkin to or wut language of books im readin
  • edited December 2006
    I never thought about that!! I think in English.. Because that's all i know
  • edited December 2006
    I think mostly in English
    but sometimes when I'm talking in Viet, I'll think in Vietnamese.
  • hta
    edited December 2006
    I think in English cuz I forgot how to speak other languages.
    I mean you are in English school (SFU) for so long that u dont use ur other languages and u eventually forget them.....
    This is true in my case....kind of.
    On another note, is it possible to learn all the languages in the world?
    I mean, how many languages does God know?
  • edited December 2006
    hta said:

On another note, is it possible to learn all the languages in the world?
    I mean, how many languages does God know?
    That is completly unrelated to this discussion and makes absolutely no sense, and there are also a lot of people who do not believe in God, why would you bring that up? Its retarded..

Oh, and to answer your question 'is it possible...', yes, it is, because anything is possible.
  • edited December 2006
    Ever since I've moved to Vancouver, I've been thinking in English but I have lived in Quebec for several months and I found that by the time I left, I was thinking in French. I thought this was weird so i never tolled anyone before :) I don't think people do this on purpose, but I guess speech is related to thought in more ways than one so doing both in the same language is more efficient...maybe?
  • edited December 2006
    I think in both English and Russian, lately more in English.
  • edited December 2006
    i think i count simple numbers better in chinese

but everything else is usually english
  • edited December 2006
    I think in colours....and binary.
  • edited December 2006
    Most of the time I think in English. I also think in Korean, mostly when speaking it. Sometimes I cross-translate in my head in English-Korean and Korean-English. What's really cool is a word that means something in one language means something quite a bit different in the other language. I guess it has to do with the cultural connotation with the word in other languages. But yea, thinking about a word in different languages helps put the word in another light.
  • edited December 2006
    Perhaps I think a bit differently: I do not so much think in a language (unless I'm trying to say something) as I do in images. I picture, imagine, and construct in my mind all of my ideas rather than putting them in words.
  • edited January 2007
    Ur mind is thinking in one language and your mouth is speaking in another.
    Headache#_#
  • edited January 2007
    Magnificent_Bastard said:
    I think in colours....and binary.
    Remember, there are 10 people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think in English too (being born in Canada, with British heritage...I know, exotic aint it?), but I've always wanted to learn another language... well, other than: Java, C#, C++, Visual Basic, etc.

Also, it would be so much easier to talk to girls in Java:

Girl g = this.findGirl();
    if(g.wantsToGoOnDateWith(this))
    this.goOnDateWith(g);

*sigh*...to be a geek, the sad thing is I could probably write more code like this... I need to get out more :smile:.
  • edited January 2007
    CHINese thinking...english speaking..

english thinking....chinese speaking!!

that's how my brain works!!!
  • edited January 2007
    shadysimon said:

Oh, and to answer your question 'is it possible...', yes, it is, because anything is possible.
    no it isn't... getting thrown into super hot lava naked until you melt into nothing and surviving is impossible...

and english.. haha
  • edited January 2007
    Girl g = this.findGirl();
    if(g.wantsToGoOnDateWith(this))
    this.goOnDateWith(g);
    That's so funny!!! I started laugh my ass off after seeing this piece of code...I'm one big com sci nerd...oh well...

I speak in English and I think in both Chinese and English, however, I usually chinese. That's funny cause I'm CBC and I hate having to speak chinese. When to chinese school too much when I was young...

Leave a Comment