To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Lets discuss Engineering Future! which? where? How?

edited December 2006 in General
Engineering is offered at most universities in BC. I wanna have and idea of what Engineering is before i go into it. Now lets discuss about Engineering

How is it? (hard or easy)

What type of Enginnering has good potenials in future?

Which Engineering market requires the most graduates in future?

Is it hard to find Engineering jobs in Candaian Market? what about other countries?( which ones good for other countries)

what universities are good to attend for Engineering? (place your opinion in sequence)

Would you recommend any other program other than Engineering to a second year sciences student? (personally, i'm not a fan of medical)

Comments

• edited December 2006
    I'm not an engineering student but I can recommend another program other than engineering to you. I would recommend Business..especially in the world of finance..why?

In the recent years the baby boomer generation are planning to retire now. And really, the government won't have enough money to support all of them with their pension plans. So, the baby boomers worried about their retirement will need to have some kind of savings and usually they go to a financial advisor that will figure things out for them. Just think about the market.. how big it is.. and there are not many financial advisors out there enough to support the amount of baby boomers. The baby boomers have revolutionized just about every industry there is.. and there is a very big chance that they are going to revolutionize the financial industry as well. Right now even in the real estate market.. companies are building urban apartments or lower cost apartments to be ready for the baby boomers. They know that the baby boomers either have no money.. hence why they are selling their suburban homes or they don't need that big of a home so they move into an apartment because its enough for their needs.

So business has a very bright future.. the engineers and science generation is the past.. now its time for business.
  • edited December 2006
    you raise an interesting point Steven...but i don't think engineering and science is a thing of the past.

applied sciences, and the sciences are always moving forward. the fields are in constant need of young people putting in their creative minds to find cures, or developing new ways to do things.

my friend is in EngSci at U of T (which is a faculty within the faculty of engineering)...it is tough...very tough in fact...
    it's not common to think that engineering and science will ever fall off the scope in our everyday lives...we live on what people have built, and it just doesn't make sense to stop here...

personally, i think U of T is a well-reputed engineering school
    i don't know about the rest..i didn't really look into good engineering schools coming into uni.
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, I agree with meesh..

What I meant was that the hype of engineers and science.. its over.. but obviously we still need engineers and scientists in our everyday lives. However, not as demanded as before. At least for the upcoming generation..
  • edited December 2006
    Steven said:
    Yeah, I agree with meesh..

What I meant was that the hype of engineers and science.. its over.. but obviously we still need engineers and scientists in our everyday lives. However, not as demanded as before. At least for the upcoming generation..
    ahh ok, yeah i think the upcoming generation will be a huge mix of different things...as our standard of living increases, and the liberal institution many students of our generation are living in, students are able to follow their goals through personal aspirations, and not those that will make the most money, etc...
    so i think, in whatever field you want to get in, it will continue to expand for years to come (either gradually, or rapidly).

Leave a Comment