To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Caffeine

edited December 2006 in General
Only recently I've discovered that my body can't handle coffee anymore. It's like overload. Especially dark coffee. I go all weird, jumpy and my heart beat goes really really fast. Some days at school, I would get a vente size Starbucks. After drinking it, I feel like I'm getting a heart attack. My heart races like crazy and my hands shake uncontrollably. I've never had this problem before. I've been drinking coffee since I was six. I was gonna go to the doctor a while ago to ask what's up but I always forget. But yeah, sometimes I have no choice but to drink it. Especially after all-nighters or when I'm studying for an exam late at night.

I think I am becoming more dependent on green tea now. I know green tea is good for the heart and makes you live longer.. but, how much is too much? I drink at least four cups a day. Days when I study late (which is almost everyday), I drink at least 6 cups of green tea. Literally. I have no idea if that's good for me or not, but it works!!! Lol.......

Like right now, I'm on my 8th cup of tea and it's only 1 a.m. I am guessing that I will be all night studying considering how behind I am with studying. I am predicting about 2-3 more cups. But right now, I'm wide awake. :)

Green tea doesn't make my heart go fast like coffee does. I guess caffeine is less in tea? But yeah, can someone answer my question? How much green tea is too much? And why does my heart race and my hands shake when I drink coffee? Has anyone experienced that before?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    I think your body is telling you you need sleep
  • edited December 2006
    Coffee gives me diarrhea.....
  • edited December 2006
    Coffee, like anything else, is not good to consume a lot of. Coffee has a lot of side effects like increasing your heart rate and is also addicting, so you need more and more over time for it to have an effect. Its good not to be dependent on coffee I drink a lot of tea these days too because its healthier.
  • edited December 2006
    Tea has theophylline in it in addition to caffeine, which may give you the stimulation you need without the problems coffee has. I find coffee is OK in moderation, but if I drink too much of it my digestive system complains.
  • edited December 2006
    Stop drinking so much coffee then... Venti black coffee is too much anyways..
  • edited December 2006
    Yep..coffee totally makes me shake too. And I feel all flustered and like I can't use my hands properly to grab stuff...The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. I think If I drink it with protein, then my system can handle it better. Like if I have a latte, it's wayyyyyy better for me than drip coffee. But because of the adverse side effects I've been getting from coffee, I usually drink tea now and I find that it gives me a bit of a boost without getting shaky :thumbs_up:
  • edited December 2006
    1. Get some sleep (= no all nighters)
    2. Drink slower
    3. Reduce your servings (venti?! try a grande)

and this helps (for me anyways), switch back and fourth (daily or weekly) between coffee and tea. My body seems to 'forget' the effects of whatever I drank the week before -- thus :thumbs_up: to effectiveness
  • edited December 2006
    instead of telling everyone in this forum, why dont u go to a DOCTOR instead?
  • edited December 2006
    toast said:
    instead of telling everyone in this forum, why dont u go to a DOCTOR instead?
    I just moved here from Alberta. I'm still waiting for my health care to arrive. :tongue:

Didn't think it was that serious so just posted here. Plus, so much fuss going to a doctor and then trying to get the Alberta gov't to pay for it.
  • edited December 2006
    Tinana said:
    I just moved here from Alberta. I'm still waiting for my health care to arrive. :tongue:

Didn't think it was that serious so just posted here. Plus, so much fuss going to a doctor and then trying to get the Alberta gov't to pay for it.
    heh... u gonna quit coffee if this keeps up, it's bad for ur health ( yes, everyone said it, but i like to say it again, for the hack of it )

I'm still staying up right now, working my ass off for chem, without a droplet of coffee. Maybe u should try coke, they do have caffine in it, just not as much.
  • edited December 2006
    Caffeine linked to psychiatric disorders
    High use correlated to anxiety, major depression

Joseph Brean, CanWest News Service
    Published: Thursday, December 07, 2006

Everybody knows a few strong cups of coffee can turn some otherwise pleasant people into crabby bundles of anxiety, whose jitters give way to lethargy in the span of a few hours.

In others, the opposite is true -- a cup of coffee seems to chase away the grumpiness of the morning.

Less well known, even by scientists, are caffeine's mental effects in the longer term as a possible cause of psychological disorders.

Gallery: Caffeine counts of common drinks
    Decaf's more buzz than you bargain for
    More Body & Health news

As Starbucks expanded into its 38th country (Brazil) on Wednesday, new research from a Virginia scientist shows prolonged use of caffeine -- the world's most popular drug, used daily by four out of five people globally -- might literally drive you insane.

Five cups of brewed coffee per day, or the equivalent caffeine intake in tea or cola, made people more than twice as likely to exhibit adult antisocial personality disorder, and abuse of alcohol, cannabis or cocaine, according to Kenneth Kendler, director of the Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioural Genetics.

These heavy caffeine users were also almost twice as likely to exhibit panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and major depression.

Even among moderate users, the odds of exhibiting one of these illnesses were increased across the board, according to Kendler's survey of more than 3,600 adult twins, which appears in the December issue of Psychological Medicine.

These twins, who share all their genes as well as family history, but often differed in caffeine use, allowed his team to tease out the specific effects of the drug from the effects of the environment. He was not surprised by what he found, which he described as significant, but not profound -- and certainly no reason to give up one's morning hit or mid-afternoon pick-me-up.

"Any form of drug use is broadly related to aspects of psychopathology," he said in an interview. "You're consuming a substance that influences the way you think."

What does surprise him is that he was the first to find this link, however weak.

"It's very hard to get funding, because no agency is interested and Starbucks won't fund you, so we don't know a lot."
    © The Calgary Herald 2006

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=6ddbbda9-e68f-4393-9aaf-bc8007e0ff92&k=95760
  • edited December 2006
    Just drink tea.... its helps financially too..=)
  • edited December 2006
    caffeine pills!!
    just dun use em often... just during exams, haha...
    unhealthy? yes... but only take em maybe 2 weeks in a year
  • edited December 2006
    Hey do those things work ? Sound a lot more convenient than drinking coffee, and theres no coffee shops open on campus at night...majorily sucky
  • edited December 2006
    yeah they work too, way cheaper than coffee too
  • edited December 2006
    I'm kind of scared to take any of these pills.... =/ I get addicted easily
  • edited December 2006
    well its obviously the best idea not to take any...
    ecstasy keeps you awake too, haha.

Leave a Comment